Reprolabels over Combiner Wars figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SouthtownKid, Dec 7, 2016.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Mods, I'm not sure if this belongs here or in radicons. I couldn't find a similar thread there, but if it doesn't belong here, please move.

I'm about to add reprolabels to some CW figures. I've used reprolabels before, but this will be the first time to add stickers over places where stickers already exist. My question is whether to add the new reprolabels over the existing stickers, or if I need to remove the original stickers first. If I need to remove them, what's the best way to do so? And after removing the original stickers, do I need to prep the surface somehow?

Actually, I'll need to remove a couple stickers without putting anything new there, so any advice about removing them cleanly is appreciated.

And lastly, is it okay to use a top coat over reprolabels? I want to use a gloss finish for one figure in particular. If it doesn't hurt the reprolabel, it will help seal the sticker. But I don't want to do something that's going to damage the reprolabel.

Thanks!

2. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Most of the CW figures I can think of have paint on them, not stickers. I could be wrong though.

As for TR figures like Buzzsaw, Laserbeak, etc, I placed the stickers directly over the larger ones, too much to scrap off.

3. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

If you don't mind damaging the original stickers, water and a bit of soap usually do the trick. Just make sure you dry the toy carefully and remove any soap or glue residue.

You can, of course, put the new stickers on top of the old ones, but this might cause the new stickers to 'bulge' slightly.

4. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Definitely remove the stickers if possible. You're spending actual money on the new sticker sheets...they're worth doing right IMO.

So yeah. Sticker removal can be a pain in the posterior...I had a junker Punch-Counterpunch that would have benefitted massively from a set of Reprolabels. I started peeling off the well worn original labels...and the 30 year old stickers predictably left behind their paper backing. :( 

Since it was already a less than minty figure, I took a chance on GooGone which was able to totally remove the residue without damaging the plastic. I followed up the treatment with a dip into heavily diluted dish soap. It came out perfect...possibly worth a try!

If you do give it a shot, use as little as possible, apply it with a swab, let it soak into the paper. After a few moments, gently scrape away the paper/residue with a fingernail (that's what I used) or some implement that's softer than the transformer's plastic to avoid scratches.

Hypothetically this solvent could remove some kinds of paint (G1 Punch was fine) so be careful and take your time.

https://www.amazon.com/Goo-Gone-Ori...81207677&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=goo+gone&psc=1

5. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

When I put the sticker set on Laserbeak, I ripped off the old ones first. Easy peasy.