Reproduction Insecticons G1

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jason Blue Boost, Feb 7, 2008.

1. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

What is the fun in collecting MISB fakes?

That is like collecting comics by taking a vintage comic to Kinkos and having a color copy made and then sticking that color copy in a Bag and Board or Framing it and saying "I collect comics for fun! Look at my MINT collection!"

I get people think they have the right to own vintage TFs at cheap prices, I just don't see the appeal of people wanting MISB Knockoffs. If you were getting them to open and play with and relive your childhood with knock-offs, fine, but collecting and displaying MISB KO? It makes me feel people want to have fake collections of Knockoffs then mysteriously forget they are fakes and pass the collection off as real down the road.

2. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

you take them out of the box, and they change from insect to robot and back again........theyre more than meets the eye :D 

i didnt say anything about misb........

but i payed 30 for loose vintage ones with dodgy stickers a while back, when it comes to g1 stuff these price points arent matching up to MISB.

all of these KO's are significantly cheaper than their real counterparts MISB, so i say buy the KO's save some money and open em up and transform them back and forth and back and forth and back and forth

3. nkelsch

Or be ethical and pay the increased price for the real stuff or suck it up and realize you don't have the right to own anything you want at the price you want.

4. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

If you want to keep deluding yourself about the improving quality and like getting insecticons made of shitty plastic and basically colored in finger paints, go for it, but please don't insult others for wanting the authentic merchandise. You also should respect the fact that many times people have been burned by people advertising these toys as the originals, only to get shipped a paint flaking, brittle plastic nightmare.

5. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I think these appeal to people who don't like G1 that much, but want to have the G1 toys in their collection. Part of me also thinks that they must love the bitter irony of the whole thing.

6. alien

alien Command

why always KO but not official? Insecticon already release by Tomy Takara...Should it be again? Japanese Encore should make it more verity,omega supreme and skylynx are good example anyway...Don't just KO PLEASE...i already regret to get my KO metroplex! i believe official will be release more n more classic vintage autobot and decepticon since they were did in Omega and Skylynx! I'll wait for it...

7. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    KO after KO after KO. I'm tempted to just give up collecting g1, because eventually it'll get to a point where I'll end up with some KO turd, not because it's somehow going to devalue my collection. I've already quit buying gundam stuff from agesthreeandup due to their enthusiastic support of KO transformers.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I do agree with Kelsch in that although I'm perfectly fine with the concept of high-quality KOs at the right price, having them packaged in a similarly-reproed G1-style box so they look like mint G1s does worry me as far as the market is concerned; it is just asking for trouble. A KO is fine in my book as long as it doesn't claim not to be a KO; when the clone claims to be the original and no-one can tell it's lying... a line needs to be drawn.

I must admit, as others have said, while I see the sense in producing the likes of Mirage, Wheeljack and Sunstreaker, who aren't going to be officially done... probably ever, the Insecticons seem like an odd choice considering how recently they've been done, even if these are cheaper.

Just to clarify and expand, not all the Dinobots were reissued in Europe. Only Grimlock, Sludge and Snarl were reissued, and even then it wasn't in original G1-style packaging, but in the then-current gold boxes under the "Classics" banner.
    On top of which, we've never had access to Swoop under any release, original, reissue or G2.

9. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I saw a picture of these a while back (Ehobby version KO too, I believe), but I never thought they would actually make a full run. Maybe they'll end up doing that all-white Optimus as well at some point...

Edit--Oh yeah, and Hasbro needs to shut these guys down. I forgot to mention that :) 

10. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    AGreed, shut them down put em in jail and let them get torn new ones each and every week.

11. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Say NO to Cartoon Network
    Say NO to Botcon exclusives.
    Say NO to scalpers.
    Say NO to Transformers Animated
    Say NO to the Unicron Trilogy
    Say NO to the Collector Club
    Say NO to Beast Machines
    Say NO to repaints
    Say NO to short packs
    Say NO to Wheelie
    Say NO to Hot Rod

Might as well give up, not getting anywhere. It's gonna happen no matter what. Like tryin to stop a runaway train.

12. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

I have 13 insecticons(9 complete), I paid total less than $50 for all of them. 7 of them in mint/nmint condition. 1 have broken parts.

Insecticons are dirt cheap, you can pretty much always find them in lots.

As always, KO brings nothing but destruction to the g1 collecting hobby.

And buy KO for MISB? Seriously, You are only fooling yourself.

13. nkelsch

But none of the things you mentioned are illegal... Where KO's are.

Comparing things people "don't like" to things that are illegal doesn't wash.

14. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

They're asking double what I paid for my Takara reissues.
    I don't really have a problem with KO's of figures that it seems TakaTomy and Hasbro have no intention of reissuing, such as the dinobots, Mirage, etc. But when it comes to figures that have been reissued fairly recently, I don't see how you can support that. I am also surprised that TakaTomy hasn't went after them yet. Heck, the Insecticons could still show up in the Encore line.

15. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Well, personally I see no reason for them to reverse engineer these molds given thier low popularity so I'm assuming that they found the molds in the factory. I may be wrong, but come on what idiot would say 'Hey lets reverse engineer three insecticon molds instead of someone popular like Springer or Shockwave'...i.e. someone that is a sure fire seller.

Personally, these are just toys so really don't we all have better things to worry about.

16. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
  17. Bumble Prime

sooooooo anyone who has ever downloaded a song illegally cant contribute to the discussion..... anyone who has a speeding ticket?....right? If we make this a strictly ethical argument.

This whole thing seems odd for argument. Yeah it sucks these are not as good as the originals, yeah it sucks that these are de-valuing the originals ( which doesnt hold up if they really are the paint flaking monstrosities described). But G1 is not as full steam as some people act. Yeah we have a new batch of reissues, but it's not 1987, they arent on shelves everywhere..... are these really providing THAT MUCH competition???

if they were, don't you think that takara/ hasbro would ACTUALLY do something? This is affecting ebay prices, not hasbro's net gain......not directly......yeah i know round about if they ever reissued mirage, sunstreaker....blah blah blah blah..............remember how happy everyone was about stepper?! I still say its about people losing money invested in their TOY collections.

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'd buy them if I didn't already have the originals.

I'd also keep them MISB, get them AFA'd, and put them in a shrine in my living room with a big neon sign over them that says "THESE ARE REAL INSECTICONS!!!"

Then I would realize that nobody cared, and I would open them and put them in various houseplants so they would feel at home being all buggy, munching on the leaves and whatnot.

19. Bumble Prime

god bless you megamoonman!

20. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Right back at ya.

Did I mention that I would put them back in the box after 10 years and sell them as originals? It's part of my retirement plan.