Replacing a laptop monitor?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Shipwreck, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

My boss in work has this laptop that he some how manged to burn out the monitor or something to it but it doesn't work and if you hook up another monitor to it is works perfectly and if he is going to just throw it out I'm going to snag it and I was just wondering how hard it is to replace these? Has anyone here ever done it?

2. Kenny278

Kenny278 Fort Max fan

I've swapped over a few...

hardest part is getting a working replacement - new probably not worth the bother.. ebay/secondhand you risk dead pixels etc

Easy enough to replace them though, just open up the belzel... see where the invertor etc are connected and either disconnect at that point or open up the laptop to disconnect the power and feed leads and swap them over

depends on how easy the replacement screen is to get hold of really - the price of laptops now can be cheaper to buy another outright

3. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just buy a new bulb and put it in yourself. they're like 10 bucks. :) 

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I woulden't bother if the screen is actually dead. Send it back to the manufacturer if the machine is relatively new and a decent spec, buy a new one if it isn't.

Sometimes the video connector inside can come loose from the motherboard thougth, definately worth checking if its out of warrenty and you have no intention of sending it home.

5. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

If it is an Apple then it is just $350 to have it fixed. If it is not from Apple check with preowned.com I get alot of parts from them, very reliable.

6. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I've replaced 2 Dell Latitude D6xx series LCDs. it's pretty easy, like what Kenny said above. I pop they keyboards and replace all the wires as well, because the new LCDs come with them, jut to be thurough. 15-20 minutes work, if that.