Renderform Titans Return Galvatron Upgrade Kits

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Venksta, May 4, 2017.

1. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Okay here's my review.

After two years of waiting for this, I honestly couldn't believe it finally arrived. And boy, was it worth the wait. 10 out of 10.

Galvatron is one of the major G1 characters, but somehow, we've gotten a grand total of two figures of him in the CHUG era (Universe, which was terrible, and Titans Return). The Titans Return figure took some IDW cues, but was by in large a faithful and well rounded update to the G1 character. We never really got a "real" good Galvatron before. There is the Unique Toys Mania King one, which is awesome, but that and the Titans Return / Legends mold are your two and only options. Which was a sham because the TR mold, while pretty good, had flaws. Namely the lack of a way to hold the cannon on the side of the arm differently, and a strange head / titan master. Concept art leaked from Hasbro showed that at one point, he was planned with a normal IDW-style head, perhaps as a Titan Master or perhaps not. But it was proportionate and not... whatever it was Hasbro put on the toy.

Ask me two years ago what was gonna come for Titans Return/LG Galvatron, I would have said a slew of Third Party upgrade kits, because its Galvatron. A new proportionate gun. A new back spire. New shoulder pats. Arm filler. And of course, a new head. They never happened. Not a single one. Which is strange to me because there were 3P addons for other TR toys. But not Galvatron. The guy who needed fixes got none. A lot of people decide to make due with 3rd printed cannon mounts and helmets, either from Shapeways or Toyhax.

Which brings us to @Venksta/Renderform's kit here. I resisted giving up on it and getting a 3d printed substitute to what Azim was making. His clearly looked the best. The other helmets look strange and puffy and weren't proportionate with the TR Face. My patience was rewarded.

The way I see it, Azim basically performed a public service with this figure. His is the only "3rd party-ish" kit released for this figure. It wholesale fixes the look. It doesn't look like 3d printed crap. It is the definitive fixed for a flawed by great figure. Those who missed out should try and get it somehow. Those who got it have been richly rewarded for their patience. Sometimes an addon kit makes a figure nicer (see: most of Dr. Wu's stuff). Sometimes it saves a figure. This is one of those times.

[​IMG]

This is what I got in my order. I actually ordered the IDW kit. At the time my collection was majorly IDW themed. But as time went on, my collection shifted away from IDW and back towards more pure classic G1. I asked Azim if he could possibly throw in a G1 helmet piece (not the faces and head, just the helmet) so I could vary display themes on my Galvatron from time to time. I offered to pay extra, but he said he do it as thanks for sticking by his product. Thing is, I mailed him about this a year ago, and he remembered! He did it without reminding! What a guy!

I also got some assorted guns. I got the Scourge gun and 4 others.

[​IMG]

The blue one with the fin goes to Brainstorm I believe. The orange Optimus Prime gun is obvious. I don't know what the other two are though. Anyone know?

The final look is, well, spectacular. The purple and red match perfectly and it gives the body the detailed head it deserves.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I still think though that I still like the IDW "Barbarian" Helmet more. The G1 one blows the competition for ones that go over the Titan Master out of the water, but the larger size and detailing of the IDW one go more naturally with the body style of this figure, which is more bulky than Galvatron usually is. I think the Renderform G1 head is as good as this body shape could possibly support (and it does look great), but there is really no way to make the G1 helmet design look as good on it as the IDW Helmet. It's just the figure bulk, not even the helmet itself. But hey, options!

[​IMG]

As a whole, though I was mildly annoyed by the wait, I'm glad I didn't cancel and I'm overjoyed Galvatron, one of my favorite G1 characters, is finally complete in his modern CHUG form. And it's all thanks to Renderform/Azim, who alone among every 3rd party(-ish) group or people out there, decided Galvatron was worth saving. And judging by the sheer quantity of the orders, demand for someone saving the TR release was very high for it. So yay for public service.

----

Let's talk about the saga of this. @Venksta said he'd never do pre-orders again. And evidently he is going to retool his website. He clearly feels bad about it all. I certainly understand that. But I would encourage him to move past it. It wasn't entirely his fault.

@Venksta, you were the only guy doing a legit upgrade pack to a figure that everyone expected all the usual suspects to throw at the very least, a new head on. And when no one did, you became the only game in town, and you delivered a great set. I don't think there is any precedent for this in the TF fan community. Usually its just a company in China behind it. You should be proud, not ashamed, of this and how ambitious it was. It's easy to make a few weapons or something. Making a new entire head with 4 faces and two helmet pieces and two different weapons is, well, NOBODY does that. This wasn't merely a product. It was art. And art makes its own schedule.

Communicating with you for a while was difficult, and not getting status updates at all..... well... that wasn't awesome. In the future, don't do that. Simply showing how things are going, even in their crudest form, is more than sufficient for most people. If you had showed a bunch of crappy, unfinished heads 18 months ago, that would have been fine. Ghosting though, is never the right thing to do. Ghosting is WAY worse than telling people "hey, sorry it's late / unfinished, but this is what's up". When you did give status updates, you immediately turned opinion around. Admittedly, this is the kind of thing people usually find out AFTER they go through something like that. I speak from experience because I've been in your shoes, on other things before, and I remember how much regret I felt about the whole orderal when it was over. Frankly, i didn't want much to do with what I was doing when it was over for a bit. but then I realized that I could learn from it.

You say you aren't doing pre-orders anymore. That's certainly understandable. I would do "phased" orders with two rounds in that case. That is to say, do a 'first round" of release...say commit to 150 of something (or however many you normally do). Announce ahead of time "For Phase 1, 75 will be up August 10th at 6pm EST, first come first serve. For Phase 2, 75 will be up on August 15th at 6pm EST", so people can purchase at that time and order when it goes live. And if interest is high enough, do a second round, say another 150, with two phases (buying windows) again. Something like that. That puts the release date in your hands and also means you won't over-produce for something in low demand. If there is no interest in a 2nd round, then you don't do it.

But don't be afraid to do ambitious kits in the future. Lots of people make guns. We can get guns on Shapeways. Your guns are great. But the things you make that aren't guns are special and one of a kind. Keep at it!

But yeah, you hit it out the park with this kit, and everyone who gave up on it missed out. I _will_ buy from you in the future, and I hope you do a proportionate Galvatron cannon / shoulder pillars / spire some time. It took 2 years, but no regrets. Very happy customer.

• Like Like x 18
  2. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    The gun on the right reminds me of Nightbeat's gun from the detailling. Just a bit different proportions than the G1 gun. The blue gun in the middle seems familiar, but I cannot quite put it.
    Cool review.

Dammit. Now I want the barbarian helmet as well. I ordered the G1 helmet, because that's what I wanted my Galvatron to be, but the barbarian helmet really looks better. At least on Legends Galvatron. On Hasbro Galvatron I prefer the G1 helmet. Anyway. I'm so happy for you guys. Mine is still stuck at customs. They are slow as hell.

by the way: Did anyone ever post a picture of the back of the heads?

3. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    @StrifeZ The long grey/light blue gun is a Jazz G1 homage rifle, the short orange gun is one from his Bumper/Hubcap upgrade kits.

• Like Like x 3
  4. IamSoundwave

IamSoundwave Well-Known Member

Got my kit in today. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do I change the faceplates, and what are the two purple things for?

5. StrifeZ

Ebay:
    Push the face out from the front to the back (it slides out, just push it) and then just take the face off.

The two purple things are for the holes on the arms where his cannon goes (two to make is symmetrical). It is so he can hold his cannon at a better looking angle than the built in holes.

• Like Like x 3
  6. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice review, alot of my sentiments exactly! That orange Optimus gun would go great with Botcon Ginrai!
    Botcon-Ginrai_1400257858.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  7. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I've decided the best place to store the extra faces is in his body. You just have to make sure there's a part of the bag you can grab. Everything still closes fine. :D 
    20190606_204002.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, all I can say is...

BWAAAAAAAAAAHH!!
    [​IMG]
    I did a little modding to make the new head work with Hot Shot's Shapeways neck assembly and fold into the chest cavity. For those who want to do the same, I had to shave down some of the plastic on the bottom of the faceplates used, to shorten the neck detail under the chin to match up with the base block piece. The 'neck' of the Hot Shot assembly is shorter than the piece from Venkstra's head, which is why I shaved the faceplate. It also means the full head doesn't have much wiggle-room, so it's more like a swivel than a ball joint. I also trimmed the central horn of the helmet to get it to fit in the chest cavity, and the rest fits fine, with a little fiddling.

Definitely glad I kept my order going in the long term. I think my favorite faces are the happy and the "BWAH!" faces.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Robots78

Robots78 Ow, my foot!

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    395C808D-8961-4EF6-962B-6B8B57669CCD.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  10. Decepticreeps100

Decepticreeps100 Bite your face

• Like Like x 6
  11. StrifeZ

Ebay:
    That's mindbogglingly awesome haha

• Like Like x 1
  12. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Cool

14. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    That's excellent news. I bought a Mad Emperor kit for my Hasbro Galvy and a Barbaric Emperor kit for my Takara Galvy, but I want both heads for each colorway and I trimmed the Mad Emperor's horns a little more than I meant to; long story.

In any case, I'll happily buy another of each style head in Hasbro purple and another Mad head in Takara Lavender when you're ready to sell them, @Venksta.

Photos really don't do justice to how extraordinary the face sculpts look in hand, especially the angry yelling and maniacal laughing faces; completely turned how I felt about the mold around.

[​IMG]

In other words, the wait was worth it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
  15. Decepticreeps100

What does the barbaric head look like in profile?

They really turn a missed opportunity through a ham fisted gimmick tie in into something truly superb, I can see why Hasbro did it as it must have seemed like a now or never deal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    Slightly better than
    Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 1.02.52 AM.png
    (I'm almost asleep so my snapshot composition game is considerably worse than usual.)

• Like Like x 5
  17. Decepticreeps100

A veritable crown of cybernetic thorns for the offspring of Unicorn

• Like Like x 2
  18. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    ...we'll all DIE FOR HIS SINS. :bowdown: :drool: :music :rock :ev: :crazy: 

BTW,
    is
    how you say "Instruments of Destruction" in Emoticon.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  19. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    the renderform site is up again. but no Galvatron heads are for sale.... :( 

20. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

Just got home and gave TR Galvy his new head and gun and arm Cannon peg things, I love it. You really did do an amazing job on the little Venksta. Definitely worth the wait and money, thank you for the awesome products. I'll dig out Brainstorm and Chromedome to give them their guns later.

• Like Like x 1