Customs: Removing smoke smell from Transformers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by jinscriba, Mar 14, 2010.

1. jinscriba

jinscriba Member

Hey, everyone. Hope you can help me out with this. I live in a townhouse and the unit next to us got caught on fire 3 weeks ago. In the process of putting out the fire, my Transformers were knocked down. More importantly, no one was hurt and the most damage in our house was a hole in the ceiling, right above where my collection sat.

I was away in college when this happened and my family was able to save practically every Transformer in my collection from the debris, save for a missing Energon weapon from ROTF Blackout, a missing missile from Final Battle Jazz and a broken foot from Classics Dinobot. Now it's time for me to clean up the toys which all smell like smoke. I know rubbing alcohol is a bad idea, so any other suggestions aside from a wet rag? Thanks.

2. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What about just simple mild-soap and warm water?

3. jinscriba

jinscriba Member

I'll try that. I just have my concerns with accidentally taking paint off, that's why. Thanks.

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Maybe try a dryer softener or something--I know they can help old musty dresser drawers smell fresh and clean, so it may be an option.

5. BigBadBoombox

BigBadBoombox Boombox Cakes superior!

6. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    from ebay
    Try using kitty litter confined with the plastic item. Pack it as for books (above) pack it in there and leave it for a few days. If the toy is small enough, put it in the kitty litter bag from the store.

7. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Place items in a mesh bag or clothes basket. Wait for a windy day. Place the toys out in the bag/basket on a windy day in the shade. Leave it out for a few hours. Keep doing this until the smell goes away. Oxygen is the best cleaner.

8. aurascope

aurascope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just trust me on this one,
    fill a pail with water and generous amounts of dish detergent
    and give the toys a good soak for a day.
    Then bring them to the bathroom and run
    the soap water off using the shower.

No more smoke smell.

Then dry the toys with the hairdryer set on cool.
    (this is the long, hard part)

9. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

I had some figures stored in a house with lots of 'cats.' Naturally the toys didn't smell too great once I got em out into the air. Mind you they were stored for a few years, so yeah - it was pretty bad. Anyways, I went over each figure with Hydrogen Peroxide and a toothbrush - then rinsed them off with warm water, towel dried, and went over them again with 51% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Do NOT use anything more than 51%, or you risk removing paint applications from your figures.

After I finished with the sterilization the stink discipated. As an added measure you can clean them up, toss em into a rubbermade crate with an odor absorber, and leave em in the corner for a week.

~Z

10. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    I used to live in a house that had quite a lot of smokers is it. Best thing I've used so far is the Clorox wipes (the green container ones seem to work better)

11. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've used rubbing alcohol with a ear cleaner thing and dipped it in the rubbing alcohol and gentle let all the remains drip down. Plus I then used a set of small paint brushes as well with just plain water on them to delute the alcohol after I did the cleaning and that helps a bit with dust and etc.

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use dryer sheets to keep my shoes fresh.
    (i wear a pair for a day, then let them rest for 3-4 days with a dryer sheet in them.)

they are what i use when i store my figures, too.

you can use activated charcoal to absorb odors as well.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    jorod, I think those dryer sheets are a fantastic idea. I've used them in my vehicles before, and they work well. If they can cover up farts, I'd say they can cover up smoke.

14. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    lol!

I mentioned 'em earlier in the thread. I used to use them in dresser drawers (not the type of drawers you're mentioning, Allen!) at a hotel/condo I used to work at. It kept the dressers and rooms smelling fresh for the owners that would come down to stay. Also tried it at home--it helped old dresser smell great, instead of like an old musty hunk of wood. I know they work to absorb smells like those, so I assumed they'd work for making things like TF's smell better.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hmm, I wonder if I could use 'em in my drawers . . . I'll probably end up getting these at some point: Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Oops I crapped my pants

As for the dryer sheets, I done the same as well. I was just really surprised at how well they work in a vehicle. I'd think they'd work on TFs as well :)