Removing permanent marker

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AutoBobby, Mar 6, 2013.

1. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Is it possible to remove permanent marker like a Sharpie from plastic? I realize it's called permanent marker for a reason,but I'm hoping someone has a secret remedy for removing it.

2. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    a little rubbing alcohol should do it.

3. xBigbotx

xBigbotx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah try rubbing alcohol or sometimes it works for me baby wipes

4. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I'll try the rubbing alcohol in the morning.

5. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

Careful with rubbing alcohol - if it hits paint and you're not careful it can dissolve it pretty quickly.

6. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Luckily the spot with the marker is a solid molded piece of plastic with no paint on it.

I tried the rubbing alcohol and although it lightened the marker slightly,it didn't come close to removing it.

So I went downstairs to see what else we had,and I found this product called Oops!. I saturated a cotton swab and lightly brushed over the marker and it came right off.If I hold it to the light,I can see where the surface of the plastic is slightly different now,but it's a lot better than having some guys' name on it.

That Oops! is obviously a very strong product so if it had been a painted section it would've obviously ruined it.

7. Coaxial

Coaxial Hop on the beam

Bottom line - the longer the marker sets on the plastic, the harder it is to remove it. Rubbing alcohol works fine if you use it pretty quickly based on when the marker was applied, but if the marker sets more than a few days, it can be much more of a challenge. Longer than a few days, well, good luck lol.

Fingernail polish remover works ok as well, but it's more likely to ruin the finish of the plastic or even damage it completely (like that Oops! stuff or Goo Gone) if you're not REALLY careful and use a very minimal amount, especially if you really work it in to the surface. I've had mixed results. Some old game cartridges (like NES, SNES, N64) I've obtained over the years have not been doable with even the toughest stuff on the market. If permanent marker sets on the affected plastic for years, it will most likely never come all the way off no matter what you use.

8. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Go Gone, but not on factory painted plastic.