Customs: Removing paint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by CrockAlley, May 15, 2009.

1. CrockAlley

CrockAlley Gween donkey! Mine!

I did a search on Google for removing paint from action figures. There doesn't seem to be a consensus. Some people swear by acetone, while others say that acetone will harm the plastic.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for removing paint without harming the plastic?

I'm only interested in taking off a few tampoed factions symbols on otherwise-unpainted plastic.

Thanks for any help.

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

maybe diluted acetone, but I wouldn't risk it. Acetone melts most plastics that transformers are made from. There are some denser plastics that the acetone won't affect, but those are usually reserved for joint pieces that don't have paint on them.

Just use alcohol, that should take the pain right off. It works better to soak the part, but a paper towel damped in rubbing alcohol should take it right off.

3. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Don't use Acetone, you're just asking to screw up the plastic. Soaking parts in 91% Isopropyl alcohol does the trick most of the time, or wiping (notice I said wiping and NOT soaking?) with paint thinner also works.

4. CrockAlley

CrockAlley Gween donkey! Mine!

Thanks for the answers!