Removable/temporary insignias? (Vinyl?)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by David Hingtgen, Sep 10, 2019.

1. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    I'm looking for an insignia, that would be temporary/removable---idea is that I would like to place insignias on "appropriate" diecast model cars etc, but as some of them are rather expensive with high-quality paint jobs, I don't want anything that would be permanent, mar the finish, leave a sticky residue, require lots of peeling/fingernail work to remove, etc.

Anyone know of anything like that? While there's a good amount of vinyl ones for cars---they're all "super-strength 3M permanent adhesive" type vinyls usually, designed to stay on a car through a hailstorm etc. I want "super weak" adhesive. Basically like those little clear stickers they put on your windshield to remind you for your next oil change---something like that would be perfect, as they usually have no adhesive at all, just "static cling". (and that's all they'd need, to stick on the hood of a large diecast car on a shelf)

2. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

You can just ask any sign shop that has a plotter to cut you a vinyl logo made of intermediate vinyl, instead of the really nice stuff.
    Very nice vinyl lasts about 7-8 years before it starts to fall apart in the sun.'
    Intermediate vinyl is thicker, and lasts only about 4-5 years. But it is much easier to remove by hand if you want it gone. You can lift it off with your fingernail. The high quality stuff is so thin it is harder to remove.
    That's not the removable kind of sticker like a cling is, but it can be removed fairly easily.
    You can have a sign shop make a print onto a cling, but I do not think they look as nice.

3. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    What's "appropriate"?

4. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Waterslide decals are easily removed when needed. Have you considered them? Or are they too delicate?

5. David Hingtgen

News Credits:
    Examples could be like a red Countach, a silver 280Z, a blue C3 Corvette, a grey 308, etc.

6. David Hingtgen

News Credits:
    Hmmn. I honestly think waterstains may be an issue. And I've found some decals do occasionally have a death-grip on paint, when by all means they shouldn't. (though that is rare)

7. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've never had a problem removing a waterslide myself, nor have I ever had any kind of stain leftover. You "squeegee" the water out when applying so it doesn't sit and drive up slowly to leave a ring or anything. I suppose it's possible but never in my experience. But, just thinking about options!