Remembered when they marketed R-rated movies to kids?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by AlexJMurphy1982, Nov 26, 2019.

1. AlexJMurphy1982

AlexJMurphy1982 Banned

I remembered for 34 years they marketed R-rated adult films like Rambo, Terminator 2, Robocop, Demolition Man, Aliens, Predator etc. to kids.

I mean when i was 4 33 years ago i had a Rambo power bike and a toy gun plus a Rambo figure and i remembered watching First Blood when it aired on TV plus saw Rambo 2 on HBO at that age and i saw Rambo III In theaters when i was 6 years old. They made lunchboxes, halloween costumes, bubble gum, cards, coloring books, vitamins, toy guns/knives, action figures and all based on Rambo in 1985 and marketed to kids.

I also remembered seeing Robocop in theaters when i was 5 with my 12 year old big brother and my dad and thought it was an awesome movie and i had a few of the of toys like Robocop himself with ED-209 and a few others and watched the cartoon sunday mornings. One of my friends had a Robocop lunchbox in second grade and i saw Robocop 2 in theaters when i was 8 and had some cards.

I remembered seeing Alien on TV a month before the sequel hit theaters when i was 4 and Aliens with Cobra were the first r-rated movies i saw in theaters at that age and i had a few Aliens action figures at age 10.

I saw Elm Street 1 and 2 on HBO back in 86 at 4 with my big brother and me with him with dad saw 3, 4 5 and 6 in theaters when i was 5 6 7 and 9. I had a Freddy Krueger talking doll at 7.

I did saw Predator 1 and 2 in theaters when i was 5 and 8 as i recalled seeing commercials for Predator toys later on. I saw Terminator when i was 4 on HBO and saw Terminator 2 in theaters when i was 9 as i had some stuff like t-shirt, a few action figures, comic, poster, luchbox and more as they did some kids merchandise.

I also remembered seeing Demolition Man in theaters when i was 11 and had some trading cards and i recalled they had merchandise for kids even an action figure series. And one of my friends who was 10 back in 93 had a few of the figures.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Oh yeah. The 80's were just a different time. I saw a lot of R rated films growing up and had lots of action figures from various films that probably wouldn't be allowed in the kid's toy aisles today. Had a lot of the same ones you mentioned too.

I had a bunch of stuff from the Kenner Aliens and Predator lines. I had an eight inch Rambo figure from the Forces of Freedom cartoon. RoboCop and ED-209. Lots of stuff from Kenner's T2 line. And I had this pretty rare seven inch figure of Matrix from Commando.

Saw lots of these films in theaters or when my parebts rented them. Never had an issue growing up like some. Frankly I always found the Nightmare on Elm Street films more hilarious and goofy than scary.

• Like Like x 3
  4. AlexJMurphy1982

AlexJMurphy1982 Banned

The first one was scary you know while the sequels were fun

• Like Like x 1
  5. AlexJMurphy1982

AlexJMurphy1982 Banned

Oh yes Toxic Avenger too

• Like Like x 1
  6. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, the 80's were a weird time. I recall all my friends saw the Halloween, Nightmare, and Friday the Thirteenth movies. I saw Alien on TV and Ghostbusters. Heck, Indiana Jones was marketed to kids too. It was a weird time. I've gone back to watch Tom and Jerry and damn is that violent too.

Now a days none of that stuff flies with kids.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Ghostbusters and Indiana Jones were never rated R. They were always considered okay for kids and still are today.

• Like Like x 5
  8. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It was great times, nobody in care with that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Absolutely. Although (as I'm sure you know) Temple of Doom (more specifically, the pearl-clutching reaction from certain groups) was front and center in the creation of the PG-13 movie rating.

10. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    80s was a odd time when they were picky about adult stuff in their shows on tv but kids films had curse words and nudity in them!

Bad news bears and goonies cursed more then some r rated films. Beetlejuice said the F word. There was a f word in ewoks! Kids movies clash of the titans, sheena, red Sonja, baby secret of the lost legend and even Disney movie dragonslayer had nude scenes.

Police academy and beverly hills cop both R were huge hit with kids in fact police academy turned into a kids series later!

Nightmare on elm street had kids toys, kids hotline with freddy telling scary stories, a comic book, nes game and even bubble gum for kids!

T2 was a R rated kids movie promoted all over kids tv from toys, to a ninento contest for kids to Arnold on nick promoting the film!

Aliens, predater, Rambo, conan, house party, toxic avenger, demolition man, Robocop and tons of others had toys and games for kids!

• Like Like x 2
  11. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Did you guys don't mentioned creepy crawlers ?

12. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue!

He he, yep.
    And that's why they make PG-13 sequels!

• Like Like x 1
  13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Whoa, whoa, wait a minute, what?

14. Gaastra

News Credits:
    4:23

15. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Cartoon aimed at kids based on house party!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Yes there was a porkys video game!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  17. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    I adore how back then you could just see toys for things like Robocop, Terminator and Alien for kids. We were more lax back then and it lead to some pretty awesome and memorable toylines, among other things.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well you boil them down to their most basic and obvious trappings and you’ve got shit that kids - mainly but not exclusively boys - would fuckin’ love.

Robocop. Cops and robbers except the policeman is a cyborg walking tank. Also hilariously satirised in the third movie xD

Terminator. Time travelling robots doing battle with the fate of earth as the prize

Aliens. Space marines vs. Aliens. A combination that’s been a winner since Heinlein’s Starship Troopers and shows ZERO chance of going away anytime soon.

Like it doesn’t take a genius to figure out how to makes kids want this stuff. I wanted this stuff. I had this stuff. But I’m not fussed it doesn’t happen anymore.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    It certainly blows my mind that Alien and Predator toys are back on shelves again in the year 2021.

20. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    To be fair about the Porky's game, that era of gaming wasn't considered a mostly kid targeted audience compared to the marketing that started with the NES in '85.