Reissues vs. Vintage ... and your collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Codimus Prime, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I plan on buying the Encore Minibots when they come out. I do not have a Bumblebee with the anime-accurate face. Also I like the new details they've added to some of the other minis.

Problem is, I already own vintage versions of the others.

So, should I replace the vintage figures with the Encore ones (and I don't have room to keep them all)?

What would you do in a situation like this?

I realize there are threads like this all the time.......... but I was just curious.

Also, my opinion might change when they show off the packaging... then I might just keep them MISB or MIB... then I can incorporate them in to my collection easier...

Your thoughts?

2. taz235

taz235 Well-Known Member

I never replace the ventage with reissues, I just display them as their own series like Classics, reissues, RID, Car Robots ect.

3. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i dont own alot of G1, so any reissue is great for me since i can get they toy just as it was years ago without a huge sticker price. but for me if i had originals i would as taz235 said keep them seperate and not replace the G1 spot on my shelf.

4. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

There are certain instances when I acquired some reissues that I didn't have G1 versions of. These I don't care to replace, mostly because of cost.

5. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll keep my vintage in storage and display these bad boys. Won't sell the originals because of the new paint apps. I'd better transform Metroplex into city mode and dig out my Protectobots too. That's the best way to display these guys! :D 

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Yep, same for me. Vintage stays on its own, reissues seperate.

7. Lone_Decepticon

Lone_Decepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have all the vintage minibots MOSC. Ive also bought the reissues and will keep them MISB. I like the new added details to the reissues. Its a win win situation.

8. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

second that~!

9. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i display vintage and reissue's mixed together. some figures are just drastically cheaper to get, and i prefer opening a brand new toy, not something thats been used over the last 20+ years

10. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    This is exactly what I do.

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm too poor to buy vintage. I only have reissues so far, and many of the characters they have reissued are the ones I'm interested in anyway. I'd keep the vintage ones though over the reissues if I had them any day.

12. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

I only have 1 reissue - soundwave. I realized that complete loose vintage cost as much as a boxed reissue. So since i really don't care about reissue box I just buy vintage toys.
    The only problem with vintage is the quality varies, some times you get a minty one and most the time you getting average ones. However vintage toys used better quality plastics, also have better molding details, so that kind of average it out.

13. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

I prefer MIB/MISB. I go with reissues when I can to save money. I put both together.

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

These kinds of threads always end in bitterness and tears.

15. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always give a little Darth Vader "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" every time a re-issue, encore or KO comes out for a Vintage G1 toy that I already have.

16. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm always broke so I don't buy a reissue if I have the original, thus I've never had to deal with that problem. However I do display my reissues with my G1's because in most likelihood I'll never be able to afford to buy another one. (Unless I were to get lucky on a lot on eBay or something.)
    But IMHO vintage always gets more respect and honor in my mind over the reissues.:2c: 

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll mix reissues and vintage in my disply, and will replace vintage with reissues If it's worth it (usually depends on how clean/mint the vintage one is, 'cause I like to have pristine toys on display)

18. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I display them together as well. I would like to replace them all with vintage eventually but I like to have minty fresh toys every now and then.

19. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I'm starting to think of re-issues as being just as good as vintage. Maybe it's because they've been coming out since what late 2000? With the earlier takara vintage style and with Encore returning to that... it's easy to think of them as just G1 items. Like with Skylinx and Omega Supreme... I wont ever bother buying MIB vintage ones now. Anything that came out not in a G1 style packaging I opened, I just don't have the heart to open G1 styled boxes. The majority of my loose G1s are re-issues and there just as good (IMO) as the originals. So, yeah, originals and re-issues are pretty much the same to me these days.

Just yesterday I found myself wishing that either Hasbro or TakaraTomy would do a retro line of new Transformers. Not a lot, maybe about as big as the Classics line. Where the figures are designed to fit with the asthetic of Diaclone and Microman. The smaller, detailed, blocky limited articlulation, real life alt modes from our childhood. Throw in some G1 re-issue repaints and bame! You've got G1 reborn.