Reissues, Encores, and Commemorative

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OldDirtyBot, Jul 31, 2008.

1. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

So there are a number of original mold re-releases on the market. I have most of the Commemoratives and a couple Encores and Takara bookcase reissues. I am pretty much a MISB collector also, so I can't pop them open to really do hands on comparisons and I don't have any duplicates for even a eyes only comparison. Question is, are there any differences?

I know Takara stuff is usually more discast, and Hasbro can be a cheapster. I think there is a Jazz release in all 3 lines, I only have the Commemorative right now. The Encore is out and easy to get, but is it worth getting? The only difference I have heard of is on the Encore the stickers are now painted on. But is the mold exactly the same, is there the same amount of die-cast or is the Takara the best since it seems to go for the most on the open market.

How much difference was there in the Takara G1 originals vs the Hasbro
    G1's?

2. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    All versions have the same amount of die-cast. The only difference with the Hasbro reissues is either that the missiles are elongated, not chromed or a combination of both.

Hasbro has never "cheaped out" with die-cast on reissues.

3. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Nice, good to know. Got a little worried when I got the Encore Iron Hide and Ratchet. They just seemed different than the originals, but I haven't played with an original of those in 20 years.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Didn't the Hasbro reissue have a really screwed-up face? I think it was both the book-box and Commemorative taht ahd teh ugly face, and Encore remoulded it back to the original G1.

5. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you want one as close to the originals, I would go for the Japanese reissues or Encores. The Commemoratives have missile launchers that do not fire and everything is black and elongated.

Hasbro's reissue Jazz had a smirk on his face, which was the original design for Ricochet/Stepper.

6. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

The quality of the reissue toys more or less are the same(all made in china)
    Of course if a mold has been used many times it tends to wear out(So in theory earlier reissues should have better quality) Also the plastic quality tend to go lower over the years for cost saving.

Hasbro reissues were always plagued with the stupid "safety" issue(seriously, what are they thinking, no 5 year old child will buy a g1 toy). So if you want to have more "g1 accurate" toys, go with takara reissues.

One of the selling point of encore is the G1 style boxes, it's pretty damn good looking(I like it much more than the Book style boxes)

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah Encore pakaging is really nice, and I'm not even a g1 fan.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    No, but a parent with no real grasp over the concept of reissues might. Besides, it's not somethign Hasbro deceides. There are toy saftey laws that HAVE to be followed, no ifs, ands or buts.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No.

That was a result of mold degradation. the head mold was bad, and takara made the smirky replacement for their TFC reissue, but didnt bother to touch all the other degradation that resulted in their reissue being unable to hold together in vehicle mode or even stand up right in robot mode.

hasbro used the same head mold for their later reissue, but fixed all the body problems. takara and hasbro fixed the head mold for the stepper reissue, and thats the mold the encore version used.

None of that is true. hasbro hasnt had less diecast in any reissues or even masterpiece figures. Takara goes the cheaper route on reissues, releasing figures that cannot hold together properly (TFC Jazz, encore laserbeak), are broken by the time they leave the assembly line (encore megatron), and other massive failures.

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the Hasbro reissues, series 1 & 2 elongated the missiles to meet safety standards. From series 3 on, if the missiles were too short, they just removed the spring from the weapon. If you wanted, you can probably pop open those weapons, get a spring and put it in, and they should work properly.

Encore has been adding extra paint applications (eyes, headlights etc.) and tampos for faction symbols. I actually prefer this and makes them look much better.

Encore Jazz = Win. Best reissue of them all IMO.

11. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Good stuff to know. I'll defintely go for an encore Jazz then. I just want one of the best choice available no matter what line it is. How about we make a master list of the best reissues.

Jazz - Encore

12. Melkava

Melkava Well-Known Member

Agree, unless its a new mold or vastly improved one like Encore Jazz. I m sticking to the earlier reissues.

The encore's quality are really bad if you compare, like the wear of the mold for Prime or Megatron. For me, the packaging is a factor but not THE factor.

Even for MISB-ers, I think people will appreciate the better built toy.

13. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Opinions are only on reissues I have seen or owned.

Hasbro's Reissues

With the Prowl "Commemorative Series" reissue, the gun and missiles lack the plated chrome and are instead molded in black plastic. If I recall correctly the reissue of Silverstreak (Bluestreak) has a similar issue. This isn't the case for all figures though. My Commemorative Skids came through with chrome-intact.

The "Commemorative Series" Seekers have their null-rays turned into these wide goofy looking missile deals. Imo, this ranks up there with shortstacks as being one of the most obnoxious mods Hasbro has done for safety concerns...

...especially given that none of the commemorative figures I own have spring loaded missiles anyways. They click-in just fine, but pressing the buttons does nothing. It also might be worth noting that none of the Commemorative Series figures that have been altered betray that fact on the box. You can tell by opening the flap and looking at the accessories, but the boxart and toy pics show the unmodified G1 figure.

The one Japanese figure I have is the OLD Starscream reissue that predates Encore and TFC. (anyone remember the name of this line?) Seems like a pixel-perfect reissue, save for the fact that his upper arms are incredibly loose.

14. Melkava

I have this as well, its just a straight up reissue like sixshot or predaking.
    No changes to the figure, & the packaging retained the original numbering, D-22.

15. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i have pretty much all the collection/encore/gen 1 box reissues toys, I cannot comment on encore laserbeak or megs-hes still in box but i know the only toy i have (had-i sold him very quickly)that has quality/fit issues atall is collection #1 jazz*, the dreadful head, loose parts, floppy car mode. every other reissue i have seems very well constructed, they put the new universe toys to shame, the new toys are simply not as well made. six shot/ultra magnus as an examples, not the slightest hint of looseness or short changing anywhere.

'massive faliures' , no, i dont accept that as a fair comment, takara overall has arguably produced excellent reissue figures.

*Actually encore jazz still isnt perfect, and his overall quality is lower than say colection prowl but i suspect that jazz's mould was heavily refurbished whereas the others may have been in better condition.

16. microclone

News Credits:
    ive not yet opened my encore megatron (so cant comment on that) but i see no discernible difference between my encore prime and the while ultra magnus version from 2002, what are the differences you notice?

17. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Soundwave is in all 3. I have the TRU one. It usually goes for about the same as the Encore, but the Takara blue and black versions go for a ton more. Any differences between those?

Also want a good set of seekers. Have the Commemorative III Thundercracker. But thinking may grab the Encore Starscream and the pre-order Encore Skywarp/Thundercracker combo.

18. Melkava

I mess with a friend's Encore Prime, he collects Primes, the Encore's colors are different compared to others.

Maybe its due to the mix of color or material used, plastic parts seem to have obvious unclean looking spruce cuts even though it was cleanly cut but its hard to un-see them.

The details on him seem more 'rounded' or not as define which seem to indicate the mold is getting worn out.

My encore megatron has 'swirling' near the barrel & some problems with the trigger construct. The QC pissed me off so much, I passed it to my 4yr old nephews for play :lol  minus the pellets etc.

19. microclone

News Credits:
    collection starscream had the loose shoulders fixed.

20. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

I'm getting mixed reviews here. I just ordered an Encore reissue Jazz last night from BBTS. Am I in for a treat or a big letdown?