Registration for Botcon update

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Autobot City Comics 2008, May 1, 2015.

1. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Tempe, AZ
    Even if the hardcore Going no matter what do all go, my main point was that the location is hurting them badly in terms of local walk in traffic compared to it being in Chicago Proper or in Pasadena. One of Hasbros big things for these is how much walk in traffic they get.

On top of that there is the Dealers. Businesses like to have things taken care of in advance, they like to be able to have all the logistics settled months in advance not days. They are also not keen on being told that they can't bring 25-50% of their product, especially when there are other viable and more friendly options.

2. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon (Retired)

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, a lot of dealers are probably left wondering right now how much shit they can actually bring since they have no idea how many tables they will get.

Doesn't pay to load up a trailer if you only get 1 table.

3. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    Agree with you. I don't think it's intentional but rather just lack of ability which is sad considering how long they've been operating this convention.

This makes sense and certainly that's a primary motivation for many of us wanting to get registration over with. In my original post, I was trying to point out how many people's decision whether to go to Botcon is truly affected by the delay. I believe that is a small amount.

For example, I don't think the tours FP offers at Botcon sell out. I could be wrong here but having gone for the last 8 years I don't recall them ever selling out. They simply would add more buses and buy more tickets to the places being visited as the demand dictates. So if your only add-on is a tour, then you're dates should be already set since uncertainty has been eliminated from the itinerary. As such, for these attendees there shouldn't be anything stopping them from going ahead and planning/purchasing whatever you need to regardless of when reg goes live.

That just really leaves the custom class which is understandably a bit of a wild card. Although it's much less a struggle now then it was in the past since they started offering a pre-assembled figure to purchase. The question is how many people are really basing their entire decision of whether or not to go to Botcon purely upon their ability to get into a specific class? I believe this to be a minor number in my mind when compared to the overall attendance.

Most hotel reservations can always be altered up to 24 hours before the check in date without penalty so that shouldn't be a concern.

The airfare I can appreciate and at some point one needs to decide whether the cost of waiting and hoping to get into the class outweighs the outright higher cost of the plane ticket as you get closer to departure.

As for dealers, I can't comment but I do see the point many have made. I have no idea how dealers look at this delay and how it affects their decision to attend Botcon. I was speaking purely from an attendee's perspective.

I just don't think the negative economic impact of the delay is nearly as disastrous to FP as some may believe it to be (dealers impact withstanding).

Mind you I'm in no way trying to condone this delay. This frustrated patron is just trying to make some possible sense of why FP hasn't made registration available yet.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  4. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Consider those of us flying in from outside of the US. To secure a cheap flight, we have to book our air fare early, as soon as the location for Botcon is announced. And if we wait this long until registration, its not even affordable to fly in. And there is quite a bit of international fans who attend each year, as regular attendees and vendors. It also makes it a big gamble. If we don't like the boxset figures or who the guests are, its usually too late to cancel the flight.

5. Big Filipino

News Credits:
    From that perspective it sounds like the decision to attend is not based on when registration goes live but rather when the information about Botcon's box set and guests are made public. In fact, if you have all that info and assuming you're not a vendor (who may base their decision solely on whether or not they can get a table) then the delay shouldn't have affected the purchase of a plane ticket.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  6. Venksta

News Credits:
    Botcon 2015's date and location was announced back in October 2014. The first toy reveal came on March 31st. With the last toy reveal being April 27th.

Me and my friend didn't book our flight right as the location and date were announced, but in February. About two months before the first toy reveal. By waiting between the initial date and location announcement and when we booked, we lost a chance to get a direct flight to Chicago. Just showing the longer we have to wait, the less options. Plus I always notice as far as the air fare goes, its usually $100 to $400 difference, the longer I wait to book. That difference heavily impacts the budget I can bring for the show itself.

7. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think FPs problem (if they have a problem from their perspective) isnt how one show gets affected, the numbers between what they'll be and what they would have been if registration happened in January might not be huge, but little things must gradually build up. It wears peoples interest down. Registration gets later, the excuses get repetative. Prices go up content goes down (except for the boxsets were sometimes it really should be trimmed). Hotels selling out with few or no alternative, airport shuttles costing $50 or $70. Hasbro panels not what they where. Fewer guests (at least so far). Just the sense that they are going gthrough the motions.

Suddenly a trip to TFCon or SDCC or where ever instead starts to seem like fun.

I dont know, maybe FP think the attendance is stable, it doesnt drop much wherever and whenever its held and they dont believe improvements will increase numbers so why bother.

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Could the frustration be as simple as folks wanting to get registration over with? I don't think it truly impacts attendance as many have mentioned, but it becomes discouraging when you're essentially just waiting for it to finally happen. In other words, people just want it to be done and over with. Compound that with every year it seems to be more of an issue, or more of a talking point with fans.

For me, I have to keep asking "why is the process not getting better / easier?"

9. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Yeah what Matty said. I've had $850 sitting in my account just waiting to spend it on registration. It'll be nice just to get it out of there instead of thinking I have all this extra money when I really don't haha.

10. Big Filipino

News Credits:
    That's definitely my frustration.

11. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Woah! There's just been an update!!!

They're showing off this year's t-shirt!!!

I jest of course, the t-shirts are normally very good quality and well designed.

12. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    Well another day down and nothing for us maybe they meant later in the week and not early

13. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Who knows what they meant, for all we know their early week update was that "near future" tweet.

I just wish they'd give us the last bits of info we need before registration should go up. That being the final guest and the shuttle situation.

14. Venksta

News Credits:
    I'm going to assume no registration until next week. With the long weekend for you US folks, it wouldn't be great for people who have registration issues have to wait until Tuesday to sort it out.

15. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  16. Autobot City Comics 2008

News Credits:
  17. robwhit1

robwhit1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow I just cannot believe how complicated they make this out to be. Entire websites can be created in less time than it takes them to clean up last years registration page.

18. Autobot City Comics 2008

News Credits:
    Hello Everyone!

Barring any final issues, we are doing the final touches tonight and should have registration live tomorrow. I'll send out an email when it is up.

See you in St. Charles!

Brian

-------------------------------------------------
    Click to unsubscribe.

19. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sigh...Of course the one day this week when I am not free to watch my computer.

This better go up earlier in the day rather than right before the end of business.

20. Venksta

News Credits:
    And looks like I was wrong, unless they run into more issues holding things back again. :lol