Regeneration One #87 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Bass X0, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    COMIC WAS PUT UP ON COMIXOLOGY PREMATURELY AND HAS NOW BEEN REMOVED. COMIC WILL SEE OFFICIAL RELEASE ON 1/9.

Its straying even further from what I wanted from the comic.

I'm not even interested in any sub-plot of this comic anymore. Yet I'll continue to buy it each month.

I do wonder why Chromedome wasn't resurrected along with the other three Autobot Headmasters. Did Furman think four was too many for the story or will Chromedome return later?

And Hosehead is supposed to be dead.

2. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    No Chromedome? Bummer. I had his toy as a kid so I'm particularly fond of him.

3. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    I'm liking that Furman acknowledged that Scorponok's tweaks aren't simple faction switching. Though I have to wonder about the warrior gene in the first place - namely, was it supposed to be on or off by default? After all, Marvel Primus is kinda a dubiously altruistic god - he's very much more interested in furthering his own aims than caring about his creations.

Enjoying where this is going.

4. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, chromedome never died in the marvel comics. His leg was blown off by thunderwing and he was in sick bay the whole time they fought unicron. He was never part of the battle and never died. Did he die after the series ended in some "untold story"?

I guess furman forgot about that.

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Um, it sounds to me like he DIDN'T forget about that. Can't resurrect someone who isn't dead, right?

6. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While it was an enjoyable read, I was still angry reading it... I hate seeing those three killing other Autobots... Especially in a series that has an end... I don't see them coming back. I so want a happy ending for this series and I just can't see how it can happen with all the carnage. I also hated seeing Grimlock turning Perceptor bad.... Sigh.

Like I said... Mixed emotions. Good read, but heartwrenching...

Oh and why the hell did Hardhead and Brainstorm have the wrong heads?

7. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Regarding the 'warrior gene' (yes, I know it's stupid, moving on....), could that perhaps be the root of the 'schism' that split the race of transformers into warring factions? I know that this was mentioned in one of the issues around the time of primal scream, but I can't be bothered to look it up now.
    I don't like the idea of the gene, because it takes away the individuals responsibility for their actions.

If you're pre-ordained to be a Decepticon, that's not really your fault.
    I prefer to think that Megatron is/was evil because he chose to be, and that Grimlock is not evil through choice, not because he's lacking a gene.

Overall though, this issue was ok. It read quite nicely, but it is suffering the same problems that all of Furmans modern work has exhibited. Namely issues and issues of setup, then a big resolution in the last issue of the arc. They don't feel like an adventure like the original run did.

So far, none of this can even begin to stand up next to Time Wars or Target 2006.

8. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You mean something we've not seen since ~1986 when he allowed himself to be blown up.

9. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok I went back and looked at #82, and not only was the art and color much more crisp, but Brainstorm had the right head... What's going on with Wildman?

10. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm, some interesting twists, but I'm not entirely comfortable with the whole "insert key and turn evil", as if it's only basic ethics that keep Autobots from turning into cackling mass murderers. Some Decepticons have shown traces of honour and even Megatron had rare moments of compassion (he let the gangster who used him as a gun live after all).

I'm not really feeling it at the moment to be honest.

11. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    Ok...this issue just sent the whole series from buy instantly to buy later for me. I like the ending but the whole idea behind the epiphany...I think Furman lost it. Sorry.

12. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

YES! This is the way I love seeing my '87-whenever Transformers portrayed... as SCRAP METAL! I'm loving this. Let the characters that made Transformers popular return, and all Transformers that ruined the franchise forever get destroyed!

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Are you even trying anymore, James? 0/10

14. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

What? I can't like something? The book had Starscream, Galvatron and the return of Shockwave. Plus plenty of action with Grimlock and some generic characters getting messed up. Best issue yet.

15. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

You're hilarious James Roberts. Love your stuff.

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    lol at Kick-Off playing a tablet game.

17. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Personally, I think Scorpinok was keeping the whole truth from Grimlock. Think about this for a moment, if you suddenly turn more peaceful Autobots into warriors by unlocking the gene, doesn't that potentially lead to MORE enemies you have to face?

In my opinion, just my opinion, what Scorpy is having Grimlock do is "flip" the gene to make them more aggressive, remove their morality, AND reprogram in some way. Otherwise, he would just have a group of morally ambiguous Autobots running around willing to torture and kill Decepticons for no other reason than they can.

18. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    maybe autobot/decepticon is not black and white, but shades of grey. and scorpy decides turning them full psychopathic, to best further his needs. (this stuff made better sense 25 years ago)

well, the only exciting thing in the book is starscream and galvatron

19. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't follow the thread of this issue.

We still don't know why Grimlock is helping Scorponok. What, a simple sense of obligation for getting his body back and he's just going to flat-out end the Autobots? This isn't going to end well for any Nucleon victims he cures either. Oh yeah, and since we now know that the warrior gene inspires loyalty, why the fug didn't he zap Grimlock with it immediately? He didn't even need Grimlock for anything in particular in order to make his move! One of his ex-Headmasters could have done the same thing!

On a single page, the information about the "warrior gene" is contradicted. "Oh, it doesn't make you a Decepticon!" "WE HATE AUTOBOTS AND BLINDLY FOLLOW LORD SCORPONOK!"

Another contradiction...in a nice touch, Grimlock is back in his original comic body, complete with his old under-detailed head. Then Perceptor ruins it by saying that his cranium hasn't changed. Either the artist got it wrong, or Perceptor is as perceptive as a doorknob.

The art and captions were not clear enough to be able to tell whether the Mutants killed off Lightspeed et al. What's the difference between "Point Alpha" and "Point Omega"?

More contradictions! Hot Rod pontificates on how he feels drawn to the underground team and Primus and it's the most important thing evarz...then the next sentence it's suddenly no big deal, brb! I can't even follow one character through a conversation.

Ok, Shockwave's in the Ark. We actually knew this, it's the most obvious situation, we just had to wait to find out. But what has he been doing all this time? Auntie was controlling things, not him.

This was not a good outing for Furman. Highlight of the issue was the art. I had a bad feeling about this instant-side-switching crap and how it would be implemented, and so far this has been borne out. No coherent logic to it.

20. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Sadly, at this point, I think I prefer the Generation 2 book.