Regarding the XBOX 360 4GB version..

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by RedAlert Rescue, Aug 4, 2010.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I was considering buying either a 360 with 250gb or 4gb I was wondering some info about them both other than the 250gb version being gloss black and the 4gb version being matt black is the only other difference the lack of a harddrive on the 4gb version and the inclusion of 4gb memory.

What I'd like to know is :

1) Can you get a Harddrive that works with the 4GB console and still use the existing 4 gb internal too making total memory of 254gb ?

2) How does the console's controllers vary in color and details and is the 4gb one still equipped with wireless pads

3) Is the Slim Harddrive out yet as a seperate item if not when is it's release date as a seperate item.

4) what is the functionality of USB flash rom memory on the new 360 can you save games on them and play from them - is there any downsides - can you store downloaded live arcade games on USB and reinstall them later - with any limits ?

5) Is the new 360 compatible with laptop style USB Harddisk drives powered by 2 USB ports at all ad what about other types of storage what works what does not ?

Thanks

2. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    1) i dont think so, the new 360's have built in HDs
    2) controllers are compatible with all 360 consoles
    3) not that i know of
    4) i believe you can only store XBLA and movies to them, and game installs
    5) not internally but it can be used as a usb storage device

3. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    4Gb? I thought the smallest was 20Gb

4. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1) You will only be able to get a official Microsoft HDD that will work with the slim. The current 250GB HDD will only work with the Elite and not the new model. There has been a image floating around that shows one will be available, but there is no current release date for it.

2) I'm not sure what you are meaning on the first part. The controllers that come with the current 250GB HDD slim do not have the grey that the Elite controllers have one them. They also have a chromed Guide button.
    Yes the 4GB Edition comes with wireless controllers.

3) See 1)

4) I would suspect the internal 4GB flash memory will act in the same was as a 4GB memory stick that will allow you to save your profile, game saves, XBLA games. The games will run from the flash memory and if you delete them, they will be tied to your account so you'll be able to download them at a later date.

5) The new Slim is compatible with the same type of drives that the current Elite is.
    I do not think it will work with a laptop drive that requires a separate USB for power, and you have to remember that no matter the size of the drive only 16GB can be used. The drive will also need to be formatted to work with the Xbox.

So a 100GB would have allocated 16GB for the Xbox and 84GB for PC storage.
    Memory sticks from 1GB to 16GB will work with the Slim. I think all 5 USB ports could be utilised for them giving you a potential 80GB on top of the internal 4GB. Downside is it could be expensive to buy 5 16GB memory sticks.

5. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks I didn't know there was a 16GB memory limit that is the sort of thing I was wondering about.

What about using a HUB to plug multiple drives into one socket would it only pick up one drive or none at all ?

Hopefully by the time it gets closer to Xmas there will be some news on a seperate Hardrive - to use with the 360 4gb.

I noticed after I started this thread that the UK Xbox offical website has no mention of the 4GB console at all. I did find a nice wireless headset though that works with the 360.

I wish I understood more about getting stereo outputs to an amp out at the same time as using an HDMI cable though - I think it's possible but not easily explained on any sources I could find.

6. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

You can use two memory devices at a maximum of 16gb each, 32gb total (minus the system settings). The press packaging for the 4gb S mentions a 250gb HDD available for upgrade.

kotaku.com Microsoft to sell 250gb hdds separately

The current Microsoft HDMI cable includes a dongle that allows seperate audio out (optical and composite style red/white) for use with HDMI. This may change as the S has a built in optical out. You might be able to use the cables that come with the 360 as the audio dongle just plugs into the same spot, I never tried but the Component/Composite combo cable that used to come with 360s would dual output Video and Audio to both connections.

[​IMG]

7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    That was what I was curious about. If you have an Hi fi that lacks Optical Outs but still want to use the HDMI a way to split the audio out using the Component Audio.

I'd love to know the pricing on the seperate 250gb HDD upgrade and if an American one would still work on a UK machine or not
    and also if it will sell with the transfer pack included or not ?

It's relevent to which version I'll buy.

Thanks for the info on the USB cards

LASTLY will there be anything fun to do with that Konnect camera thing or is it going to be like the Wii or the Eyetoy and sit and gather dust (from a hard core gamers perspective)?

I can see how it could be fun - like spell casting and such but I can also see how it would be casual gamer arm waving ideas deadzone.

Thanks for all the help to everyone who posted

8. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would guess that the HDD would be somewhere in the region of £60 - £70, which is the price of the current one.
    An American one might work. I don't think there are region lock out on hardware items like HDD's and controllers. Unless your going to the US it would probably be better getting the UK one, and it's doubtful if the transfer cable would be included as it's more for transferring content from an existing model to the Slim.

At present it is impossible to say if there will be anything fun to do with Kinect as it is not out.

Some of the questions you are asking are hard to answer as the items haven't been released.

9. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I realise the awkward questions that was why I was having so much trouble finding the answers but the memory anser 15GB X2 is just the sort of thing I was finding it impossible to find online so that was useful to know anyway.

I don't follow games as closely as I used to do so It's best to ask those that do what they've read or seen lately that i've missed.

It looks like I might wait for a 20% off sale on game consoles in Sainsburys and get one then.