Customs: Refurbishing a G1 Jetfire: Brief story and Question.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Bitterjackal, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Bitterjackal

Bitterjackal New Member

Okay, it's a brief, STUPID story. In my ignorant formative years I got it in my head to paint up my one-armed G1Jetfire to look like a Robotech Valkyrie (oy). Sooooo....some 15 years later I'm reconditioning the old guy. I know the collection value is shot so I'm just going to have fun with it as he's still one of my favorites and he's got some sentimental value. He's one of the few TF's I have left after selling my collection to help fund the down payment on my home (him and a beat-to-hell Megatron and Soundwave. A bit depressing, but still a worthwhile sacrifice). I'm looking to do a recolor based more on an actual F-14, while still trying to maintain something of the original color scheme, and I've actually found photos of a whiteish F-14, and a NASA test F-14, both of which have light grey/white and red color scheme. Right now he's dismantled and I've almost finished with the sanding and filling of dents and imperfections. He's horribly yellowed so I'll have to repaint him anyway...also had to buy a junker Jetfire to replace a missing arm. I was hoping to add some authentic F-14 details, and this is where I'm running into a problem. From what I've been able to find Jetfire is 1/55 scale. (if someone could confirm this it would be great). If so, most of the F-14 models I've found are either 1/48 or 1/72 scale. Now I was hoping to buy a decent model, and swap some new parts on to him, along with an actual cockpit, but this scaling issue may put the kibosh on that, and I've got no desire to purchase and cannibalize an actual Valkyrie.

So my question is, has anyone tried mixing parts from models to their TF mods that aren't quite a match for scale? Any luck? Any advice? This isn't a deal breaker for me or anything, it's just since I've got him in pieces, I might as well jazz him up a bit.

Also, I created a surprisingly useful micro-sander out of a Sonic Scrubber, but I'll post about separately.

Thanks to any and all answners/tips!

2. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

3. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i have taken parts from a 1/72 kit to add parts t a g1 seeker. i am about to do something similar to a jetfire. but first i have to take it apart and remove the old paint. on my jetfire i will be using the Jolly Rodgers skull and cross bones on the rear rudders i am going to have one of my friends make the decals or take them from a kit. i am not totally concerned with scale but it would be nice.

4. Bitterjackal

Bitterjackal New Member

Thanks for the confirmation of the size. I'm thinking I'll pick up a cheap 1/48 model and see how things fit. The difference between 1/55 and 1/72 seems too big a gap to be practical...

5. aurascope

aurascope Well-Known Member

Ebay: