Rediscovered Game: Dead Rising

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Smasher, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    One of the first games that made me love my 360 is Capcom's Dead Rising.

I played the game months ago and only got one of the "bad" endings.
    One of the final cases expired and the truth "vanished".

Well, as friends of mine also bought 360s I was constantly in this cycle of loaning Dead Rising out to people. It's been nearly a year and I finally decided to play it again.
    I had no idea that I was only halfway through the game.
    I never saw a single special forces trooper my first go round.

I also love dressing Frank in the stupidest costumes (a dress with a Mega Man helmet) and then watching him interact with the others in the dramatic cut scenes.

Although the game has possibly the worst save system in recent memory, it also has an interaction with the achievements that no other game has. I can't think of another game where achievements not only give you bragging rights, but they unlock new items in the game.

Anyone else have any love for this game?
    Has anyone heard anything about a sequel?

If you recently got a 360 you should check this game out. It's on the greatest hits pricing now.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I played the demo eons ago, but I never checked out the full game. Always found it a blast to play though. I will have to check it out, now that it's discounted.

Nice new avatar, by the way, Smasher.

3. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I love Dead Rising, but I also loaned my copy out to a friend after I got one of the bad endings and his place got broken in to and all of his DVDs, his PS2, 360 and all of his games, including my copy of Dead Rising, got jacked. I saw Dead Rising in Best Buy the other day and noticed that the price had dropped and nearly bought it on the spot. Think I'll go back later this week and pick it up and play through it a few more times and try and get to the end.

The thing I love most about Dead Rising was the achievements. I'd just be playing around and all of a sudden unlock some crazy achievement.

4. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got the game when it came out here and was impressed with it, however the save system turned me off it, along with the text problems.

However when i get my new HDTV it's going to be on of the first games to be played on it.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I am still not clear if you have to end the game after the achievement to get the unlocked item.
    I recently got the Zombie Genocider (53,594 kills nets only 20 Gamer Points!?) so I can get the Mega Man Megabuster on the next play through. I don't know if I need to keep playing or if I can save and exit.
    I have read posts about that issue that directly contradict each other. To play it safe, you can go to the security room and just let the game sit and end.
    I only need two more levels to reach 50 so I will play it through.

**SPOILER**

Is there any way at all to save Brad?

**END SPOILER**

Plus, I think it's cool that Capcom made another zombie game, but it doesn't seem like a clone of Resident Evil.

Thanks, I like it, too. Don and Josh are an awesome team.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

No, no, no. The save system is AWESOME.

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    First 360 game I got (got it with my 360 last October).

Love it, tons of fun even now.

The save system is great, don't see why people bitch about it.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Well, it's great in that it's the only game I can think of where the dude takes a piss to save your game (complete with a rumble of the controller during "the shake") but it's pretty bad when you are at a low level and you just defeated some boss that left you with one health bar and no supplies and now you have to tread across a mall full of zombies to find a save point.

Also, the "Save Stats and Exit" is misleading. I remember the first time I did that I was 75% done with my game, but then I had to start over because I selected "Save Stats and Exit". :mad 

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Yah, a translation/bad phrasing, but on the whole the save system makes the game seem a lot more tense and does more for atmosphere than any of that "save wherever you want to" nonsense and the typewriters in Resi Evil :lol 

I commend the designer for sticking to it, much kudos there, without it the game would not be anywhere near as good :3

10. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:
    I love dead rising but can never bring myself to play it. Oh well I guess Bioshock and Two Worlds will have fill that hole. Later!*Goes to GameStop to get Bioshock.*

11. BigPrime3000

Yea for as cheesy and Dead Rising it's difficulty managed to get me as tense as any of the Resident Evils just because I felt like I really had to manage my health and avoid the zombies whenever I could.

Plus the story-telling within itself and how much you could influence the story real drew me in. There were times where I would actually feel bad for letting a survivor get over run and turned into a zombie just because I didn't have enough health to risk my life to save theirs.

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I thought the save system made the game more tense, you had to watch your health, weapons and supplies in like, 5 slots or something.

And then the first time I saw a WHOLE SEA OF ZOMBIES, I cacked my pants. Until I had a chainsaw and plowed through them. Then a zombie flailed at me, made me drop my chainsaw...

Then I died.

13. BigPrime3000

I loved when I grabben the parasol and ran through a sea of zombies just to avoid having to hack my way through and ended up grabbing an achievement for it.

14. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

I heard a while ago that they were releasing a Platinum Hits version of DR that would be 2 players online and there would be a patch for those who already have the game. I haven't heard anything recently though, so maybe they scraped that idea. It would be cool though.

As for the 53000 kill achievement to get the Megaman blaster. I dedicated a game to just that (killing zombies by running them over in the parking garage) and then got to the rooftop to wait for the helicopter (wait for the 72 hours to run out). Next play through it should be in the maintenance room. Be prepared to invest some serious time, though. ...and save ...alot.

15. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    That was just a rumor that had absolutely no official backing whatsoever.

Hell, Capcom even said they had no plans whatsoever for anything of the sort.

16. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

I never said it was official. I just said I remember hearing something about it.

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I can't believe Capcom has no mention of a sequel.
    This game is begging for a sequel.

18. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Dead Rising is/was still my favorite game on the 360. Bioshock looks like it might take the title soon, as i'm not finished it, but Dead Rising has a very special place in my heart. It's one of the few games I actually have pride in getting all the achievments for.

As for the unlockable stuff, you NEED to get an ending for it to be in a later playthrough. If you get the achievment and quit out, you won't have the item.

And yeah, it makes me very very sad that there has been no word of a sequel.

19. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My first playthru I HAD to keep going to all the story bits, even if it meant leaving other civilians behind.

My second playthru I tried to save as many people as I ould, but then then the story ended, so I had to sit around in the mall for how ever many hours.

I need to try it again with my souped up Frank.