Recovering a piece of your childhood.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by grimlock1972, Nov 5, 2012.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Today i received my Hasbro commemorative G1 Dirge in the mail, it is a figure i have had plans to buy for years as it is near and dear to my heart, Dirge was the first Decepticon i had as a child and as best as i can recall my first transformer that was not a minibot.

I Dirge lost years back along with the other 5 seekers and all the Dinobots i had due to a burglary in the first apartment i ever had.

So any one else have a story of regaining a figure the loved as a child but lost?

2. Optimum1996

Optimum1996 Insert something here

Back in 2004 during my 8th birthday party one of my friends got me a Armada Superbase Powerlinx Optimus Prime, the first TF I ever got. I absolutely loved it, but another friend wanted to "borrow" it so I let him. Fast forward a week and the Chrome Sparkplug was mangled and Prime himself (along with the trailer) looked like he went through an incinerator.
    Sorry to hear about the burglary dude :( 

3. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Scary to thing - stole a Transformer... and one of the first of yours. I feel sorry for you!

4. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    back in 1994 I had a bunch of Transformers G2 and G1 stuff. I was bored one day took them all apart with a screwdriver and tossed all the pieces together in an old ice creme bucket. I freaked because I couldn't put them back together lol (i was a stupid teen back then) So i tossed them into the garbage. Oh the horror.

Anyway many years later about ayear and a half or so ago, I found a 100% complete G2 Optimus Prime loose and the electronics still work.

I was a happy 34 year old 17 year old all over again. :) 

5. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I only had a handful of TFs --mainly the G2 Dinobots and 3 of the Predacon Fuzors (Buzzclaw, Terrorgator, Sky Shadow), probably a few others-- as a kid and had lost all of them since then. Not sure how exactly I lost them: parents divorced and we inevitably brought and left some toys at the other house, both sides moved a few times so there's the chance they're in still-unpacked boxes or got lost, the Dinobots at least likely simply broke irreparably and were trashed (I remember Grimlock's T. rex head always popped of in transformation), they could easily have been donated to either charity or neighbor's/parent's friend's kids, etc.

The Preds are the only ones I've since re-bought (plus I bought their fellow Fuzors Quickstrike and Injector, which I never got as a kid). The Dinobots are a bit too archaic for my tastes, but I'd LOVE to see G2-inspired decos of more modern molds.

TFs weren't too big a thing for me as a kid. Now Power Rangers, Darkwing Duck, TMNT, and Cowboys of Moon Mesa, those would be the toylines I'd re-buy for childhood nostalgia. Jurassic Park, too, but I still have most of those toys from then.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    g1 darkwing and dreadwind, loved them as a kid, still need to get the parts for them, but happy to have them again

7. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Got G2 Hooligan MOSC a few years back.

Naturally, I opened that bad boy up. Best combination of "quality figure" and "intense nostalgia" ever.

8. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    Ah yes children, I have a story:

When I first started collecting, I went into my attic and broke out all my old Beast Wars figures. The one I was most excited to pick up again was Transmetal Megatron, since he was my favorite as a kid.

Alas, simply by saying his name, I'm sure most people here have already guessed that this romance ended in tragedy. I attempted to transform him, and he ended up a pile of bronze plastic shards before the end. I've since glued him back together, but he's more glue than bot now.

So, I set off to get a replacement, and I did so. But, after the horror of the first one breaking, I never even ATTEMPTED to transform him. He just sat in T-Rex mode forever. Which wasn't really the same.

So, I splurged, and bought a Japanese Transmetal Megatron, since it doesn't suffer from GPS. Initially, there was a bit of buyer's remorse on my part, since I had ALREADY bought this exact toy twice already. But, when he arrived, I transformed him from T-Rex to robot, and well...

[​IMG]

Childhood successfully recovered.

9. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Most of the TFs I had as a kid were crap, with the heroic exception of Countdown and his rocket base...the accessories to which most either broke or disappeared.

What else did I have? Stalker, who not only broke his golden plastic gun but even the frikkin' peg on his giant missile thing, which finally made me stop playing with the damn thing. Octane, who was a piece of crap because his arms didn't go anywhere in truck mode. Strafe, who I thought was crappy on the basis that I didn't even know he was part of a combiner (that I didn't even know existed back then) because he was missing his combiner parts.

Wanna know how I wound up with Strafe that way? I got him for Christmas...taped to a piece of white cardboard along with a completely unrelated GI Joe figure. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the beginning of the downslide where I began looking forward to the next Christmas less and less every year.

Other than that, the only Transformers I remember having were a couple of micromasters...oh, and G2 Rage.

I got a lot of these from flea markets; the only exceptions I can think of were Countdown and Stalker.

I must admit, I'm not really interested in recovering any of these toys. Except Countdown, and I already got 'im.

10. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rippersnapper. I can't buy it because then I would need all the Terrocons.

11. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

One of my favorite characters as a kid was Hot Rod. And the only time I owned one was a yard sale find that my mom made.. which was missing its head/chest and back pieces. And she wondered why I was upset. XD In hindsight, I should give her cudos for even recognizing it as a Transformer.

Years later, back in 2001, she and my dad bought me a proper Hot Rod.. the Japanese reissue out of a collectible/hobby store. I've never been happier before or since then to obtain a figure. That moment was just golden. Thanks, Mom.

12. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    My story is that although I never got any of the toys back in '84-85, I was a fan of the cartoon. Now, I really want to have all the G1 main cast figures, especially Optimus, Megatron and Soundwave. TFC/Encore would do, but I'm really gunning for MIB pre-rub if possible.

13. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Mine is Hun-Grrr. Bought one for cheap a few months back. He wasn't my first Transformer, but he was definitely my favorite. I would play him for several hours on end; I think I came up with 4 or 5 other alt modes for him.

I won't be buying the other Terrorcons. Maybe we should form a club with 3 other guys who like Blot, Sinnertwin, and Cutthroat

14. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Regaining a figure loved as a child but later lost?

Hmm. I'd have to say there are a few that would qualify in the "lost" category, but not that I've "recovered."

G1 Mirage. My dad got him and a few others for me on a business trip to the US since we lived overseas at the time. I was disappointed in Mirage because I had wanted Optimus Prime. I then gave the Mirage (MISB of course) to a friend for his birthday. After seeing him opened from the box, I realized just how awesome he was. They didn't carry US Transformers where we lived at the time, but they did have the Japanese versions. So I got a Japanese version of Mirage. Unfortunately, he eventually broke at the waist, and I haven't seen him since.

Fast forward to today - I'd love a reissue G1 Mirage, but I understand that won't be happening due to some combination of licensing, mold loss, etc. I'm tempted to get a vintage Mirage, but it would cost a lot, and I wouldn't have any guarantee that he'd be in good shape, unless I forked over a heckuva lot of cash. Oh well. I'll keep watching and waiting.

15. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

What about a figure you wanted, but never got...? I can remember stashing one of those product line inserts under my pillow as a kid, and then I would grab a flashlight and stare at it for a while before falling asleep each night. The one figure that I stared at the most was Megatron. I got transformers as gifts allot, but sadly I never got a Megatron. That changed about a month ago when I was introduced to someone selling off his G1 stuff. One of them was a complete and very nice Megs. Finally, I had the figure I stared at every night for months as a kid. Kinda fun to fill in the collection with one you always wanted but never got...

16. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My grandma bought me the G2 Prime when he first came out, over the years and step siblings he was broken beyond repair. About 4 years ago I stopped at a Vintage Stock, they had one, missing a bunch of stuff, but near perfect. Best $20 I had ever spent.

17. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    One sticks out for me.

As a kid, I had a bunch of TFs... a few of which I have yet to have an opportunity to own again (Oh Trypticon...) but the one that stayed with me was Sixshot.

He was my hands-down favorite G1 transformer. He was big, imposing, had two guns and a whole mess of transformations, almost all of which looked cool too.

I made the mistake of leaving him with a friend for a day or two in exchange for messing around with some of his figured (Hot Rod, Kup, a few others). I returned the figures to him after, but he refused to return Sixshot, stating that I had never given it to him.

It wasn't until years later that Sixshot was reissued for the first time. I pounced on that, and never regretted it.

Now I look forward to the opportunity to upgrade him into my Classics-verse via MMC Hexatron.

18. wheeljack359

wheeljack359 Master Technician

Ebay:
    Growing up in NE Philly we were poor since my dad split, and all the Kids had transformers, all my friends had actual Transformers and My 2 friends Danny and Howard, Had the awesome ones like jetfire and Dinobots.

Anyway my friends were cool and let me play with theirs and I did have a few minicons, BumbleBee was my favorite at that time, weel fast foreward and my mother got me a Sunstreaker, now today I realize he was used since I never saw the box but at the time I didnt know it. I LOVED that figure carrid him everywhere.

Fast foreward to when we moved to my Step-fathers in NJ and never saw that figure after the move.

Classics line helped out a bit getting that nastalgia back but I really am hoping for a Masterpiece Sunstreaker. I think I could die then.

19. BlueAngel_Bolt

BlueAngel_Bolt I'M REALLY FEELING IT

News Credits:
    Mine would be RID Rail Racer. When I was younger, I was heavily into model trains, and anything that was, in general, trains. I spotted Midnight Express on a shelf at TRU one night, and my dad ended up getting it for me.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into, as I got it completely oblivious to the fact that it had a robot mode. So I transformed it out of curiosity, loved it, then set out to get the other two. Unfortunately, they all ended up broken from playing with them.

I managed to recover them back at BotCon '08 though. Albeit the Takara giftset. :p 

20. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    My first TF was armada demolisher, but the piece i hold highest was energon starscream who broke many years ago D= a couple years ago i hunted one down near mint for $9.00 plus missles and instructions