recent 3rd part pricing?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by 0ursisthefury, Dec 24, 2016.

1. 0ursisthefury

0ursisthefury Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got into collecting Spring 2015, and I wanted to get just a few figures because they were so expensive. ( I got MP11 Starscream from BBTS for $200 along with Ultra Magnus who was about $200 also.) But ever since Cloud9 Quakeblast, I have seen the prices for these figs drop very low. Even looking at the most recent Bludgeon, I see him as a deal because I know a year ago he would have easily been $150 or more. Is there a reason for the competitive pricing? Because the quality still seems to be there? This is good and bad for me because I see every 3rd party fig I like as a deal. The only expensive ones are the Warbotron type combiners and Iron Factory figs. Even figs like Fans Toys Phoenix even though he is north of $200, I can easily see him being sold for $150 or under a few months later.

Does anyone feel this makes them purchase more figures because they are "saving" or is this just me?

2. AnegefalosGR

AnegefalosGR Elite Guard!

It honestly has to do with the increased competition and the fact that the veteran companies have found ways to increase production efficiency while for the most part keeping the quality up to par. And of course people buy more stuff due to better pricing. I know I do

3. mapatel

mapatel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One reason for the prices being that way is the amount of competition now. Adding to the fact that now
    you've got companies like KKB and WieJiang throwing their lot in and proving that you can get quality KOs for a good price.
    I stopped collecting Hasbro figures because I felt they were worth less than they actually cost and some of the prices,
    like the MP hasbro releases, were quite absurd. That money i put towards 3p now and have been quite happy with most of the prices i've seen for them.

• Like Like x 3
  4. The Smirker

The Smirker I Hate Sam Darnold

If a 3rd party company decides to do a character that Takara hasn't done, like say quakewave, there is demand for that toy since Takara hasn't done that character. Now, if Takara decides to do that character, like laserwave, more people will flock to them because of how that design will look and will make the third party product seem worthless, in which the value goes down.

• Like Like x 1
  5. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

More bang for your buck.

Let's face it, in todays world, the true democracy is $. Every dollar you spend, or don't spend is a vote or non vote for the way you want things to be.

My non votes are for overpriced official product, while my yes votes are for competitively priced higher quality 3rd Party and KO Transformers.

The only reason Takara charges so much is because people pay it and also because many are brainwashed into actually giving a shit about brand loyalty to companies that don't give a rats ass about them.

• Like Like x 9
  6. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Cause they know that they can sell more units? They make enough profit even when the price is low I think.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Brainwashed for real. I told one of those cult followers to tell me who exactly I was stealing from by buying 3P. Fucking shareholders? Yeah, ba-low me

• Like Like x 5
  8. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

In fairness, some who advocate official are biased because they got into the game when 3P wasn't on the radar and MP was actually a solid investment. But, it's a futile protest. The market is saturated (Not only by 3P but by reissues from official) and now they have more $ invested than they can ever hope to get back.

Kenny Rogers sang- You've got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em...

There has never been a better time to stop throwing $ votes at a monopoly that is inflicted by the very dumbasses who it's hurting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. code3collector

code3collector Well-Known Member

The markup on the official MPs are ridiculous. Compare materials and paint finish on something like Quakeblast that went for $80 to any recent Takara release like Lazerwave and you can see the difference in quality and price.

I hope the 3rd party market helps bring all prices down.

• Like Like x 6
  10. 0ursisthefury

News Credits:
    I think they have brought down the price of officials. MP11 was $200, ramjet was $180, and now dirge is $170. Still way overpriced. Also, bc of this price gouging, I really do not want to buy official. For instance Ironhide can be found for $30-$40, and I purchased him for $100. Compare that figure to Quakeblast ($80) or Grassor ($130) and it can be upsetting.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Quakeblast was an oddity, very cheap and priced like he was to shift because of competition.

Takara figures are far cheaper from Japan even with delivery on top with the Coneheads/Thundercracker/Skywarp being the exception due to be mall exclusives. Best to keep an eye on Japanese etailers, even Amazon Japan give the heavy preorder discount I believe. Shop smart.

12. code3collector

code3collector Well-Known Member

It is cheaper from Japan for sure. I was fortunate to pickup Inferno from Nippon-Yassan for $102 shipped. I don't have MMC Backdraft, but I'm willing to bet the overall quality is better and you get more for your money there.

I may change my mind once I open Inferno up (he's currently sitting under the Christmas tree), but from what ive seen on reviews, Backdraft looks like a premium collectible and Inferno looks like just a toy.

• Like Like x 3
  13. robh

robh Decepticon

Hence why I bought backdraft. :) 

14. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One point to consider is the two you listed as initial purchases are both official MP whole the others you compare too are 3P. Officials are still pricey. Seekers and Coneheads still go for $200. Its 3P where we see the discounts

• Like Like x 1
  15. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Last time I looked Mp Inferno didn't need an entirely new waist replacement and actually pegs together properly in alt mode.

Weight doesn't = good quality.

16. 0ursisthefury

News Credits:
    Yea but he looks awful, too cartoony, I'd still choose backdraft even with the waist

• Like Like x 2
  17. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    That's very subjective but you knew that already.

18. 0ursisthefury

News Credits:
    Well your bringing up QC on the waist for Backdraft, which MMC made right by sending replacement parts. Where are the replacement parts for MP11 Starscream? Because the waist can't tab and that's a $200 fig, or the shoulder issue on Ramjet? Some figures will have problems, but if I am paying extra money for the "official" I feel it should be immaculate. Now look at dx9 Mightron vs MP36 Megatron. That's over a $100 difference. That's insane to me

• Like Like x 5
  19. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It really comes down to supply and demand. When multiple companies release one figure, the demand is spread out and the retailers or 3P companies have to drop their price to sell their supply. The demand also drops for a figure when a "better" version of the character is released which drops the price. There weren't as many options a couple years ago, so figures sold out more quickly than they do now. All the competition has caused me to be more cautious about buying a figure right away because I don't want to be stuck selling it for half the price that I bought it and I know that most aren't going to sell out right away anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Lol wind your neck in and re-read the last few posts. It was stated Backdraft has better qc than Inferno. No other character. Inferno. Then you tell us all Backdraft looks superior because it isn't cartoony which, as you should know, is completely down to individual taste, hence subjective.......and nothing to do with qc.

Now your ranting about 5 year old figures? Newsflash. Not everyone likes what you like and that's OK. Honestly. Ultimately it's upto any given individual what they think is worth it or not. For example I wouldn't even pay $20 for Quakeblast as it looks like shit to me. Clown shows, 80's shoulderpads and a tiny waist. More power to those that like super stylised figures though as choice is a wonderful thing.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016