Reboot or Prequel?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by WEEGEE, Sep 7, 2018.

1. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Soviet borf comrade

News Credits:
    So does the bumblebee movie take place in the bayverse or is it the start of its own movie series, or did it start out taking place in the bayverse but was edited/frankensteined into being its own thing. So essentially what I'm asking is, what is this movie continuity wise?

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I'm curious... what have you seen that would make you even ask this question? Seems pretty self-explanatory already that the movie is the same continuity. Not to mention that it's already been discussed to absolute death on these very forums.

• Like Like x 3
  3. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Soviet borf comrade

News Credits:
    I don't look at the movie forums that often.

4. Draco Dracul

Draco Dracul Well-Known Member

It's a prequel, but there is a good chance that if it's successful future movies will serve more as sequels to Bumblebee than to the earlier films with elements of those ignored.

5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I think it's kinda of both... It's a prequel but also a soft reboot. So it takes place in the same universe but might also change of the history as we currently know it..

I still think they need to go full reboot or not even bother trying to call it a reboot. If they aren't ditching the Micheal Bay aesthetic and starting over from scratch it's not a real reboot in my opinion.

But officially it's suppose to be a sort of soft reboot.

6. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    Sorry but I was the og thread maker to this question and the answer is

TBD

7. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    As of now, there's no indication that it's anything other than a prequel. I still say Bobby Bolivia's voice in the trailer is a pretty good indicator. Could Bobby Bolivia exist in a different continuity sounding like Bernie Mac? Sure, but I think it's highly unlikely considering the actor is dead (meaning he couldn't actually be used in a future movie). It would be like rebooting Lord of the Rings, and using Christopher Lee's voice in the trailer. It would be unnecessarily confusing. Most people that saw the trailer associated that voice with Transformers 1. Why would the filmmakers draw a connection to a movie that isn't even in the same universe?

I do think it's possible that the movie could be used to branch off into a different universe. But we likely won't know whether that's the case until they start work on a future film (assuming there even is one).

8. Galvatross

Galvatross Jaegertron II Veteran

Prequel based on what is currently known.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Αἰών

News Credits:
    A Rebooquel.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

It's a prequel up until the potential point at which it fails, whereupon it becomes its own thing and Paramount scraps everything in favor of an ACTUAL reboot instead of trying to salvage their sad, pathetic attempt to go against Disney's MCU.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I think they're already steering away from that business model. It seems pretty clear that their current plan is to go one movie at a time instead of putting multiple movies in the works.

Keep in mind that spinoffs aren't necessarily attempts to copy Marvel. Spinoffs have existed pretty much since the beginning of cinema. And so have connected universes. Contrary to popular belief, Marvel is not the first series to create a shared universe. I really don't see many similarities between Marvel and the current state of Transformers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

And what happens if/when that fails because the franchise itself is too weak to even work on what used to be the way people made movies?

No, because apparently now I was just imagining people using the term 'Transformers Cinematic Universe'?

Please, stop deluding yourself - we've known Bumblebee was happening since before TLK looked like it was going to be a colossal box office train wreck. And back then it was titled 'Transformers Universe: Bumblebee' IIRC so the only reason the movie exists is because that's what Paramount was trying to do. Doesn't matter what they're doing now given they delayed the film by six months or so and had to make heavy changes across the board, if the inaccuracies of the toys seem to indicate anything (given the turnaround times, those had to be in development from the first initial concepts, and the original release date was months ago meaning that's when the toys originally would have been on shelves).

Or, we could talk like people who aren't trying to use idiotic industry buzzwords and call it for what it is: A LINEAR PREQUEL.

Because it's not really a spinoff when Bumblebee's been the main fucking character in every single film.

Yeah, one spent ten years setting up the most expensive film ever made to have dozens of superheroes with backstories and development all in the same film at the same time...the other spent ten years throwing all character development down the fucking toilet and crashing a back-to-back billion dollar franchise into the ground, such that what once was a serious summer contender now has to fight fucking Aquaman to even stay alive at Christmas.

After all, if the DCCU comes out on top over Bumblebee, there's just no recovering at that point.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    That's why the Solo movie isn't official Star Wars canon.

14. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    TF5 is a reboot and Bumblebee is its prequel. Because of many contradictions with previous Movies, the fact that Autobots are on the Earth for a long time before TF1 (possibly it cancels the story about the Allspark), cancel of AOE, adding Witwicans order, Unicron, etc. It is very soft reboot, but still it is not the original Movie continuity.

15. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    isnt there a rumor saying the movie changed the ending to be a reboot

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think Paramount and Hasbro are keeping a bit vague so they can call it whatever they want to after the box office results come in.

Call it a prequel now and heaven forbid Bumblebee should flop at the box office then Hasbro can say oh yea it was 100% a prequel but that's okay because we were ending the Bay-verse any way. It's just the last chapter in a closed book.

If Bumblebee does insanely well at the box office then they decide if they want to just keep the series in the 80's by continuing to call it a prequel or they could decide hey this is solid enough of a foundation that we could call it a reboot so we can bring back Starscream, Jazz, Iron Hide, Ratchet, Soundwave, Shockwave, and all the robots we couldn't use anymore when dumbass went kill crazy in his films.

From the tiny tiny tiny bit of information we have about the movie there doesn't seem to be anything in the movie that says the only thing they can do is call it a prequel and they will be forced to have the next movie as a sequel to The Last Knight. For a change Paramount might be keeping it's options open for the next move.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    It's just fan speculation. As far as I know, there's no actual rumor.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pct1theory

Pct1theory Human Alliance

News Credits:
    I'm so tired of these threads. Can't we just wait until the movie is released? Then we can have this discussion and "figure it out".

• Like Like x 3
  19. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    To be honest the movies would be much better if they where taken away from the real life sernerio and moved towards something like sherk or monster inc in the way of a transformers movies

20. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

It's a prequel, for now.
    Watch this movie having his cautious sequel, then move in a different continuity.

• Like Like x 2