Reasons to respect Michael Bay

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hotshotprime43, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I would rather watch Revenge of the Fallen over Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

2. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    You are so interdimensional being-cist

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think Bay can be replaced. Heavens forbid anything bad happened to him I don't think Paramount would have to stop making Transformers movies. Or if Bay decided he's done with the director's chair and wants to go after his other entertainment projects it wouldn't mean the end.

But yea how a film under someone else would work is just all speculation and guess work since we haven't had anyone else in the director's chair on Transformers. It's all just a bunch of what if and maybe but no way to say exactly what it would be like.

I'm also going to agree about the humans. For me having humans in the film isn't a problem. They are a great method for scale since with human actors the camera is going to be at a human eye level. It's just having interesting humans and getting you into their part of the story. Jaws, Aliens, Predator, Terminator, Star Wars, and long laundry list of science fiction films have humans in them so it's not some type of cinematic sin but have humans in a Transformers film set on Earth. I sure don't want to go back to that ghost town feel of Transformers Prime.

4. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    "Movies the fans wanted" is such a lame duck statement, considering the "fans" can't even decide what they want. That, and some "fans" did get what they wanted.

"Fans."

This is Bay's vision. Sorry it doesn't match your own.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not proud of it, but I come from a long line of interdimensional being-cists...

6. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Annnnd, back on the subject of human screentime for a moment;

How many minutes was the alien onscreen for in Alien?

Or, idk...the Wizard of Oz in The Wizard of Oz?

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

STFU, FFS
    -____-​

7. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This. I don't get the slobbering over Bay when he was handed a franchise so geared towards making money. Live-action giant robots punching each other based on nostalgic franchise. All he did was go lowest common denominator with it. Bravo, Michael.

8. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Wow, so you're using two movies in which the plots were well understood as to why those two character types did not have a lot of screen time to Transformers. A movie about a franchise that's supposed to have the robots as the main focus of the plot? Poor examples there....and an even more piss poor comparison.

And no, I will not STFU.

9. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Well, it wasn't exactly a PERSONAL request, lol.

It's a response to an oft-repeated and equally unfounded critique; "ERMERGERDD, NOT ENOUGH TRANSFORMERZ N TRANSFORMERZ."

Got it.

Guess what?!?

Waaaaaaaaaay less screentime for other famous titular characters people were waiting to see in their own movies. And THOSE characters were waaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper effects than the Transformers and featured in waaaaaaaaaaaaay less screentime, ffs!!!

SO GODDAMNED RIDICULOUS.

Especially considering the intentional inclusion of the Transformers within even the human-centric elements of the storylines of the first film AND the steady uptick of FURTHER incorporation of the Transformers into the overall plots and screentime of the sequels it is an on-its-face BASELESS and increasingly LUDICROUS complaint.

10. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Umm...no. With the Wizard of Oz, you already know Dorothy was supposed to go find the guy so she could go home. Thus, in all actuality, the story in the movie (at least) was about her journey to meet this Wizard. So with that understood, why would the Wizard have so much screentime when it's understood that the movie wasn't about the Wizard to begin with? So using this movie in comparison is actually incorrect.

Alien? Well gee, similar in nature, the story about how explorers came upon a predatory alien race. We see the thing bulge out of that one guy's stomach and then scurry off. We know that it probably did that to either feed or to grow or whatever. It's a predator type creature if not a murderous bastard. So it's not going to just stay out in the open and say "HAI GAIZ! I M HERE TO KEEEL J00! DON'T RUN BCOZ I WILL JUST CATCH J00!" In short....it's pretty much implied that was what the creature was all about. Killing....and in it's own way. So again...using it as a comparison?.....No. It doesn't work to help your point.

With Transformers, it's been known since G1 and the comics and all it's iterations that followed (that I know of), that it was supposed to be about the freakin robots! All about the robots! Humans were just a side story to it all meant to add to the Autobot's fight to not only defeat the Decepticons, but to protect the indigenous species of Earth. Was what Michael Bay's movies any of that? Sure. It was. But it was also mostly about humans. In a lot of ways it was the complete opposite of all other Transformers iterations before it because humans played more of a role in the movie than what it normally is supposed to be. That's why some folks are complaining about it, and they're right in the sense that it wasn't the norm for what Transformers is "supposed" to be.

Now, to be fair, I can understand why Bay did what he did. He wanted not only to make the movie for "teenage boys," but I'm sure he wanted to grab an even bigger audience. So....he had to up the human element so he could use the concept of "sex" to sell it. And again, to be fair, he did it well enough to earn a shit ton of money despite folks giving him shit for it.

11. Lord Tron

Lord Tron Well-Known Member

In a way the movies are about the robots or at least one of them. Who is the main character in this franchise who has gotten the most development who is the character everyone remembers who is the character in every film and who defeats the villain each time. Optimus Prime.

Optimus is the main character of the movies he pretty much was the main character of Age and was the most interesting character in Dark. The main villains are CG effects.

What is the driving force of each movie while Sam was the character we saw the story through same with Cade neither of them were the hero.

Dark of the Moon and Age of Extinction are about Optimus he is the hero of both and he goes through the most development in both. The villain is his mentor who betrays him while in Age the betrayal of humanity and it's effect on him is the driving plot Cade's family stuff very much being secondary at best. The most prominent villain is after him personally and in the end Optimus saves the day. He's had to sacrifice the last hope to save his home world, has faced near abandonment by his home, has died and been resurrected, betrayed by his mentor, and betrayed by humanity forcing him to question his faith.

The driving story is Prime's no matter how much screen time Sam or Cade get Optimus is the main character and it's his story.

Hazekiah's point is quite valid actually in all but a few franchises non human characters barely get any screen time at all if they do it's because there's only one. The transformers are among the only CG effects to actually be shown throughout the movies. One would be very hard pressed to name a movie where a CG character is featured as prominently as Prime is. Also there are very few movies where all the villains are CG effects.

His point is very valid actually no franchise has to do visual effects on this level because their visual effect shots aren't full on characters and dialog scenes. That's the point nothing's ever done this before Spielberg himself said this few movies have used CG creations and used them as full on characters. However this is still limited but for doing something that's really rarely been done they're doing really well I mean name a CG character as fleshed out as Prime.

12. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    So you're using the premise of only ONE robotic character to compare here? Sorry, but no. That's not even what's being discussed. Both you and Hazekiah have invalid points. But yet you take it on another level of verbal diarrhea that actually misses the point of what was being discussed. Given the history of dialogue, that's all I'm going to say. I have no interest in explaining such a simple point (that has already been explained mind you), only to read something that will soon/eventually be derailed and has absolutely nothing to do with what's being discussed. So have fun. I'm out of this thread.

13. Lord Tron

Lord Tron Well-Known Member

First someone brought that up first actually I think it was you so don't go blaming me for that. Second it's not as off topic as you think before the first transformers there really wasn't a movie like it. It did change things and Bay should be somewhat commended for it not completely ILM are the real heroes there. But Bay still does what a few years ago seemed impossible.

When the first movie came out I didn't think something with the amount of visual effects and robot focus of Age was even possible because so little had used CG effects like that.

I think using one character is perfectly valid I know i'll get ridiculed for this but examples are needed. Apes uses Ceaser and Koba. Guardians rocket. So I think my point does stand Transformers uses a lot more Hound received as much screen time as most of the examples I named. Lockdown, Sentinel plenty of focus.

Simply put this is groundbreaking stuff as far as use of visual effects goes. Stuff that many people believed impossible a decade ago and for good reason nothing came close to this kind of level CG usage is not only be used but increased with each passing installment what kind of breakthroughs in Visual effects will be made by the sixth film.

So the movies are breaking new ground in the business with each installment and they should be commended for this because even still few franchises are using CG on this kind of level like it or not that is kind of groundbreaking.

Darkseeker your comment was uncalled for there is no reason to call our statement crap and as you can see it does relate to the topic. I wasn't being rude to anyone so if this does cause a war this time it's your fault not mine.

14. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    What's your point? That's makes no sense!

15. Livingdeaddan

News Credits:
    Whether Bay is worthy of respect or not for the reasons listed in the video (I'll be honest I didn't bother watching it) doesn't change the fact the movies are basically shit.

16. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    So many whiny complainers in this thread.

We get it, you hate the movies, another thread with the intention of showing some positive light on Bay for a change, ruined by the same guys over and over again.

Find another facet of the franchise you can enjoy. Damn, I can't believe the bitch-fests that go on here over something that they don't like, imagine if everyone did that for every single part of a franchise that didn't cater to them.

At least Transformers has those outlets. Many other franchises don't, or just starting to recently see that "hey, Transformers has the right idea with different shows, toylines, comic books, collectors lines, etc."

Damn.

17. Livingdeaddan

News Credits:
    Sorry people are ruining your little dream world you live in!

:) 

18. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    I think the point might be that some of the "Whiney complainers" might actually want the biggest budget, highest profile media to be something that DOES cater to them and not make them feel like smashing their own brains out rather than put up with another round of this man's "vision."

Just a thought.

19. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    Sure, completely understandable. But they've said it themselves, "as long as Bay is running the show, there is no hope."

20. Livingdeaddan

News Credits:
    Not for a respectable movie, no.

:) 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.