Reasons to respect Michael Bay

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hotshotprime43, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

2. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    My personal reason is that without his live action movies, many of the automobile licenses that the Masterpiece figure line now enjoys wouldn't have happened (or wouldn't have happened as easily/quickly without the popularity and capital gained from the films).

3. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    tr00f​

Kinda wish the guy didn't have to be such a dick about it, but at least he's straightforward about his bias by the end of the video, lol.

4. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Still no reason to respect him. Insert any other director (whose films have grossed over $200 million, and there are dozens) into the role, and you would have

A: Witness the birth of better films
    B: Not had to see what Michael Bay did to TF
    C: Still had those licenses

5. TheBeastman

TheBeastman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay is a sexist prick, he'll never have my "respect."

6. Lord Tron

Lord Tron Well-Known Member

Except you don't know this you don't know what another director would've done Spielberg wouldn't of even had the robots talk and he's one of the greatest directors ever take that in for a moment.

There is no guarantee it would be any better it's common for people to go that guy made a good action movie he should do transformers. I hate to break this to you but just because someone did Mad Max or Rogue nation doesn't mean they are capable of doing transformers.

Transformers is on a scale level that few movies match there is so much you have to do in those movies that only a few directors could most of whom are not available.

First you have to be able to work in a quick schedule and adapt pretty much on the fly do to the global nature of the movies. You have to have a lot of money you yourself are willing to spend a lot of the world land mark stuff Bay himself paid for. The actions scenes with the robots are extremely difficult you have to know exactly where the robot is going to be what their attack will be and have to keep the camera moving even though there's nothing there you have to show the scale of the robots so they appear large and massive but the fight still has to visible no easy task. Finally the budget of these movies should be higher yet somehow they're not this is entirely because of Bay he knows how to use money. Think about it Pirates at worlds end is ninety million dollars more than Age, Dark and revenge. How? Where the hell did that money go.

Not a comparison on quality but still Avengers was 220,000,000 even if you do like the movie which many many do does it look like it cost more than Age of Extinction or even Dark of the moon. Age of Ultron has cost like seventy million more now put giant robots and robot dinosaurs in. The Transformer movies should be ungodly expensive they look way more expensive than the most expensive film ever made At worlds end yet their not because of Bay he knows how to save money.

Other Directors don't do that all the other huge budget franchises are for some reason more expensive than transformers in some cases way more expensive. With a different director you probably wouldn't get more robots because no one can handle a budget like Bay does instead there is a possibility you would get less or the movies would be way more expensive which is also risky in it's own way.

This is why Hasbro keeps Bay he makes them big money but also he somehow makes these movies cheaper to make than they actually should be.

7. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Despite the fact that all the females lead characters are proactive in all the movies and in at least two of the movies they were instrumental in saving the day?

Not to mention Michael Bay pretty much gave Megan Fox a second chance after getting fired by Stephen Spielberg. Given his pull in Hollywood could have damned her movie career.

8. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well he brought in the money for Transformers I can give him that.

9. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    But that stuff was already in the script surely? Micheal Bays input was to stuck the camera as far up the leading ladies asses as possible.

10. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Nice exaggeration, though that is hardly sexist.

11. Lord Tron

Nothing wrong with a little eye candy they still get to do stuff later on and really that's just one shot so what one or two eye candy shots really undermine the females entire performance come on.

Either way I stand by what I said the video missed probably one of the most important aspects of Bay his ability to really manage a budget few action movies are as large in scale as transformers the ones that are for whatever reason cost a lot more despite transformers more often than not having more visual effects more practical effects and larger in scale action sequences. How does Bay do that how was Dark of the Moon twenty five million cheaper than the first Avengers how was AOE seventy million cheaper than AOU how does Bay manage to make the movies with the budget he's given when really every other action director is given close to a third more.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's really hard to respect a person who has the intelligence, skill, and the eye for detail to do better things and yet all he does is the type of movies he keeps doing over and over again. It would be like Michelangelo only doing paintings and statues of people farting. No matter the technical skill involved it would be hard to elevate Michelangelo as a great artist if all his works were just fart jokes.

I think what gets copied the most from Bay is the bad stuff. If Bad Boys had flopped I don't Hollywood would have folded up shop and said nope we will never do action films again. When it comes to Hollywood action I agree more with this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_19rSdEWao

Kind of seems like they could have done a better list of Bay's numerous skills. Then again the video seemed confused enough to put in Ninja Turtles when Bay was the producer and not the director.

13. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Yeah, and it still would have been great, because it would have been Spielberg.

Of course, Hasbro insisted on them having voices, not Michael Bay. Plus, they kept Bumblebee silent; the rest were so inessential and tacked on that a little thing like whether they were mute or not really didn't affect the story at all.

14. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    I respect Michael Bay

15. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I can respect these opinions, but honestly....we all know that "sex sells." So no matter how "sexist" and disgusting you think Michael Bay is, he clearly knows how to sell his product on all fronts. The video even explains that in detail....more or less. Despite me having my gripes on AOE purely for parts of the plot, no one can deny that it made more money than any of us can ever hope to see in our bank accounts. And that's just ONE of his many movies he's directed.

Seriously, we can all hate or love Bay all we want. In the end though, he's making money, and you know what they say about haters. If you don't have haters, then you're not doing it right.

16. Lord Tron

Regarding the video you''re talking about Ash from Carolina I find it to be narrow minded. Basically their suggesting all action be shot at certain angle or at least kept simplistic which is limiting to the genre. As awesome as Matrix was if every action scene was like it it would be boring.

Also there facts aren't all that helpful it must further the story and characters well Duh. The kicker if you pay attention almost any movie you can find the emotional arc during the action scenes but you can't just zone out because it's mind numbing to you I could find the so called arcs they described like the Neo one in almost any action franchise I watch and I can find it with ease. So there idea there is subjective anyway.

It's the idea that we can watch action scenes like Marvel, or Bourne, X men, Hunger games, MOS, Mission impossible or Transformers that makes action movies unique in the first place and they're basically saying all but these type of action scenes suck. How closed minded of them you want proof of this I can name a very specific example me. I love chaotic action where there's so much going on I do have to struggle to take it all in where I feel like I'm part of the chaos to me that's the best action because I'm a part of it not watching it.

Directed at Galvatron II A transformer movie where they don't speak at all would be better are you even hearing yourself.

Nearly all of your complaints about the movies except for the humor can be laid at Spielberg's feet. Just listen to his interviews he doesn't care about the robots at all to him they are not characters under Spielberg we wouldn't of gotten Sentinel or Optimus from the last two movies or Lockdown. Spielberg was the one who said the Decepticons shouldn't speak. Spielberg was the one who said the movie should be about this ordinary kid who wants the girl buys a car to get girl and then finds himself in the middle of an alien war. Bay was going to have Optimus kill Megatron with the Allspark but Spielberg said the movie was about Sam it was Sam's story so Sam should kill him.

If you talk to Spielberg or hear his interviews he only ever talks about the human factor Revenge was about being away from home Sam goes off to College in order to live a normal life while having a long term relationship with Mikelia, showing the first stages of adulthood. That doesn't even sound like transformers at all. It's the same with the next two Dark was about Sam finally becoming an adult and finding what he wants with Carly. Age was about Cade's struggle to support Tessa and eventually trust someone else with her.

To Spielberg these movies are about the humans the robots are just there to add to their story he doesn't see them as true characters. If he took over we would lose robot screen time and characterizations Optimus would probably be the only robot who spoke.

You think it would be better but I think you would change your mind when you saw a transformer movie that truly had the robots as background characters a transformer movie that truly didn't have a story for the robots. You say you would prefer it but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't after you saw it.

17. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    You guys say all that as if those would be BAD things.

:-\

18. Lord Tron

I agree what's wrong with doing what you like what you enjoy? What makes this even worse is nearly every director does the same thing at least a few times. Nolan just does character dramas usually going with a very dark tone and having a more realistic setting even in what would usually be considered fictional.

You know when you're in a Nolan movie because he pretty much does the same thing his characters are always tortured souls. There's always some kind of a wise mentor played by Michael Cain often. He works with mostly the same people. His action is mostly focused on chases at least lately. The movie is always grounded. Every Nolan feels the same no matter what he does is this bad no that's just his style.

You know when you're in a Spielberg movie Jaws, Jurassic park, indiana Jones. All adventure films often focusing on a an observer of some sort being it sharks, ancient artifacts or dinosaurs. His movies also have a tone shift usually almost genre shift. Jaws goes from horror to adventure, Jurassic Park goes from adventure to horror, Indiana Jones dances around both repeatedly. But anyway you know when you're watching a Steven Spielberg film because he mostly does similar but different things it's always the same tone and his characters are usually similar too in their execution.

Why would Bay be any different he has his style just like Spielberg and Nolan he sticks to it. He has grown the scale he does is quite different and Pain and Gain showed he can do more than action movies if he wants though his characters won't change just like Nolan's don't just like Spielberg's don't entirely. Joss Whedon writes the characters the exact same as well and also has a similar tone to whatever he does.

Every director is going to do what they like what they enjoy because life is all about finding what you want to do than striving to fulfill your dreams. Every other director does it so why is it all of sudden bad when it's Bay doing it?

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think because Steven Spielberg gave us some of the biggest and best films of the modern era that sometimes people think Spielberg can do no wrong that he's always going to be right about everything. The guy who gave us Jaws, Indiana Jones, Schindler's List, ET, and Jurassic Park can sometimes seem more movie god than a man making movies.

We often over look the films that weren't huge box office hits or critical darlings like Empire of the Sun, 1941, War of the Worlds, and Hook. So he's not as flawless as we imagine when we are thinking about his greatest hits.

He's also always predicting the end of some type of film only for that type of film to continue. Steven Spielberg is a huge name and force and entertainment but he can be as wrong as anyone else.

So I'm going to agree that just replacing Bay with Spielberg in the directors chair wouldn't have gotten fans the movie they wanted.

20. Lord Tron

Spielberg is a great director and storyteller but like you said doesn't mean he's perfect.

I don't know who would replace Bay mostly because no one's really available at least not someone people would suspect. Like I said people jump to any director who does a good action movie and says he should do the next transformer without even considering that just because you did a bourne movie or Mission impossible doesn't mean you can do transformers they're completely different films.

Also people have flat out told me they would like the movies better if the robots were the focus naturally but this begs to question how much of the story is bad because people find it actually bad or that the story is focusing on the wrong people I have no way of proving this but some people here have flat out told me some things to believe the lateral.

My point here is I don't think even replacing Bay with Joss Whedon would guarantee the movie fans want. Let's say the writing is like Marvel but the humans are still the focus will the complaints about the stories lower or will it just be the same thing except less bad humor but still too much humor.

In theory if we got a transformer movie by Joss Whedon a lot like the Avengers in tone, pacing and structure but the humans were still the focus would people like the movie or would they complain about most of the same things, that's my question if the humans were still the focus would fans even consider it an improvement at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.