Rear shoulder peg missing on G1 Metroplex (original release)?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Zaragon, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Zaragon

Zaragon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi all,

I recently sold my original G1 Metroplex (chrome/rubber wheels version) to a fellow on the boards here, and while I sold it as incomplete, it looks like there was a piece missing that I wasn't aware of. Specifically, I didn't have the rear tower, so I didn't realize there was supposed to be a peg on the rear shoulder. Here's what mine looks like:

IMG_20200211_210525.jpg

Here's two pictures I found on the internet that show the peg:

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg

Can anyone who still has this toy tell me whether or not that peg is removable, or if the copy I sold is broken (as opposed to just missing the part)? And if the peg is removable, can anyone take pictures of it separate from Metroplex? I can't find any examples of what it looks like on the net anywhere and I no longer have the toy in-hand so I can't even guess as to whether a replacement could be fabricated.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide assistance!

2. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It’s not supposed to be removable. My guess is that it broke inside and fell in or out.

There’s a restoration video on YouTube. You can see it at around minute 3.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  3. Zaragon

Ebay:
    Okay, I see, the peg had a "T" shaped cross section, and is supposed to be captive between the two halves of the shoulder. Looks like whether it is fixable or not depends on whether or not the peg broke (fixable) or if the captive parts in the shoulder broke (not really fixable, you'd have to replace the whole shoulder or upper body assembly).

I'll request some more pictures from the gent I sold it to, so I can determine if it's fixable or not. Thanks for your help!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Mine is missing that peg too, I bought it ‘complete’ and couldn’t figure out for the life of me how to attach the tower and the double blaster. It would be nice if there was a 3rd party replacement available.

5. Zaragon

Ebay:
    Sure seems like a candidate for a 3D printed replacement (even the original is simply "natural" plastic). If I end up repairing the 'plex I sold (either for the original gent or to resell after refund), I'll take measurements of it. I've got a micrometer (I use it for machine work) so I could get a pretty accurate blueprint.

Someone else would have to take those measurements and turn it in to a 3D model for printing, though--that's a bit beyond me.

6. Zaragon

Ebay:
    I received pictures of the area from the fellow I sold it to. It certainly looks as though it is broken--it appears as though the two ribs on either side were designed to extend over the peg to keep it in place, and they broke off.

Does anyone have a picture of what an intact Metroplex looks like in this area? Are those ribs what keeps the peg in place? I can't quite tell in the Metroplex Restoration vid on Youtube.

IMG_20200212_184546.jpg