Customs: Really dumb question about magic erasers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Dunkle, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Dunkle

Dunkle The Merch Mercenary

Okie doke, so I recently got my hands on some good ol’ magic erasers to remove some factory paint, only to find out seconds later that using them may also damage HAS/TAK plastics detrimentally on some thread. This is gonna sound incredibly stupid but I seriously want to make sure I don’t go and break some stuff accidentally so....

What’s the best way prep figures for using magic erasers, do I just do what the instructions on the package ask me to and be done with it or is there some specific method I need to know?

2. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aren't magic erasers just a micro-abrasive sponge? What damage did they say it does besides abrading the plastic (which is exactly what you're trying for)?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dunkle

Apparently it said I had to apply water as if I’m washing a dish or something rather on the package, although I have a feeling I may have misunderstood this from here: Minor/Repaint: - WFC-E11 Optimus Prime Metallic Touch-Ups

If so then that would really be a stupid question lmao

4. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That post mentions something called gm eraser which I believe stands for Gundam marker eraser (pretty sure that's what was being discussed earlier in that thread but I don't remember for sure). It's some kind of paint thinner marker which, according to that post, reacts badly with some kinds of plastic.

A magic eraser is just an abrasive sponge so it won't cause any chemical reactions. And no, not a stupid question - if you don't understand something, it's always better to ask than risk ruining a figure you want to customize.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dunkle

thank you so much for clarifying man, really appreciate it

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bigcuddlybastard

Bigcuddlybastard Well-Known Member

I would stay away from gundam markers on transformers in general. It crumbles softer plastic, like the kind that hasbro likes to use on pinned joints. I learned the hard way with a TR megatron to tarn conversion, when I tried to paint his shoulder joints with marker it disintegrated. It was an expensive mistake

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dunkle

huh, oddly enough I used the metallic marker just to paint the eyes on some of my figures after disassembling the head, and everything’s fine? Maybe I just got away lucky that time but I’ll definitely use more caution next time

thanks for the heads up my dude

8. Bigcuddlybastard

It really depends on the plastic, most Transformer toys use a combination of different types of plastics for different parts and I was using black Gundam marker

9. Dunkle

Were you using it to do panel lining or just to paint over large surfaces?

10. Bigcuddlybastard

I was going to use it to paint awkward areas I didnt want gummed with paint and would flake any way. I was painting the shoulder of a TR megatron