Really, again?!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Rambar, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Rambar

Rambar Stunticon

So reading recent reviews of Age of Extinction i found out that Bumblebee STILL doesn't speak. I just can't believe that after 4 movies his voice box still isn't fixed. I honestly think the gimmick of him not being able to speak is over done now and I think its about time you give the second in command of the Autobots a voice. Thoughts?

2. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    He talks in his normal voice too.

3. Pinky Prime

Pinky Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've read a couple reviews saying that he uses his normal voice like 3 or 4 times.

4. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Michael Bay is like a 5yr old with a joke. He'll repeat it over, and over again to death.

BB was fixed by the 2nd movie. He should have been speaking a lot since then.

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This ^

His voice was technically fixed at the end of the first movie
    The second movie clarified saying Bumblebee chooses to dick around with the radio - which is something important to remember as it means regardless of all the deaths and murder in the movie, Bumblebee is just fucking around with the humans choosing to communicate via the radio. He isn't taking anything seriously - he literally doesn't give a crap ¬_¬

It also detracts from his character as until he drops using the radio he will always been seen as childish - thus preventing any character growth, ever...

6. random dude

random dude Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's because he's dicking around and doesn't give a crap in a sad depressing situation I still have my habits and ticks as well. Hell one of them is joking around and uncontrollable laughter. Maybe he does it out of habit you gotta remember how long was it since he got his voice box destroyed? Before the fall of Cybertron, just to have it rebuilt many years later at the end of the first film.

7. tfdude333

tfdude333 Well-Known Member

I honestly pretend that bumblebee spoke in his regular voice when he was talking through the radio.

8. Defenestrator

Defenestrator Definitive Opinion

Bee is childish though. That's his thing.

9. Scorpio

News Credits:
    Yes, but do you want him to remain childish and have no character progression throughout any of the films? His childish nature prevents him from rising up the ranks as we cant have him as the Autobot leader if he chooses to mess around with the radio rather than convey his own words to the team. The same exact situations have been played out with Bumblebee over and over again and he hasn't grown at all in his character. He is still the exact same Transformer from the first film and as such he isn't interesting anymore as the radio scenario is just done to death at this point.

If you've seen Transformers Prime the scene linked below is so powerful because it is literally giving massive amounts of depth to his character through only one line. It shows all his hatred for Megatron for taking his voice hasn't made him want revenge, it has simply made him want to protect others from the same fate. That's why Bumblebee is made the leader at the end of Transformers Prime and why he has a character progression - and its a factor that was picked up in the new Transformers animated series where Bumblebee is the leader of the Autobots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8OqTYgvJUk

Transformers AOE
    Ends with pretty much the same scenario where Bumblebee is left on Earth with the other autobots while Optimus leaves to search for the creators.
    Yet due to the lack of development in the film series we cant honestly expect any future films to have Bumblebee rise up the ranks in the same way as Transformers Prime Bumblebee - as such his character cant grow. If he remains childish he will never grow up and never be anything more than a jokey character.

If he did it out of habbit then the ROTF line where it explains he explained that 'he plays it up' wouldn't make sense. Its just every dark or emotional scene with Bumblebee that is portrayed looses its tone when you realise that he is intentionally messing with the radio. It just stunts his character growth - how is this character ever going to be the Autobot leader if he keeps acting like a child messing with his sound clips.

Theirs also the issue with connecting with a character whose words are not his own - its a bunch of quotes from other characters and despite him speaking in all three movies the only memorable line is 'I wish to stay with the boy' as every other quote your mind will associate with the person that fits the voice.

I mean I remember his speech word for word when he explains the situation of the Autobots in the first movie - but none of that speech is connected to Bumblebee as its just random clips he found to make a sentence. I don't associate the lines from the priest during that scene to be Bumblebee's way of conveying the situation.

10. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    And what exactly do you want him to say? That's why people love him.

- 'Your best friend, the cute, yellow, bug who lost his voice never giving in to the Decepticon Lord, Megatron, keeping the location of the Allspark secret'

It's his icon. I found his G1 voice not at all interesting. His TFP voice was to childish

Quit yapping. If this is all Bumblebee is good for, starting annoying arguments like this. Then I wish Hasbro and Paramount would make Galvatron tear more out than he did as Megatron.

11. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

I always thought Sam said "it's playing up" about bumblebee's voice.... I guess I should put subtitles on sometime

12. Scorpio

News Credits:
    "Permission to speak, sir" - Bumblebee
    "Permission granted, old friend" - Optimus
    "You speak now?" - Sam
    "I wish to stay with the boy" - Bumblebee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS3ktHQ4YrY

"He's still having voice problems?" - Mikaela
    "He's playing it up" - Sam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuSCc7H8V1o

I want him to have a character and I want to see that character grow. By the end of the sixth film I want to see Bumblebee actually rise from being a childish immature scout to being a courageous leader or at least rise up in the ranks. I want him to emote through words, is that too much to ask... no, these are things the character should be doing and the films continue to prove they have no idea how to handle the radio situation so they should scrap the radio situation and have him speak normally.

I've just been chatting with people - nobody is moaning about anything or 'yapping' as much as you are trying to say that the idea of Bumblebee stuck being the same and never advancing is a good thing. We all have varying opinions and I was just voicing mine and clarifying that he does have the ability to speak however he chooses not to (As portrayed in the clips)

13. tfdude333

tfdude333 Well-Known Member

Did bumblebee speak in the second clip?

14. Scorpio

News Credits:
    No, I don't think he spoke with his normal voice during the second clip, he may have said 'Sam' but the voice sounds off despite the mouth movement - however he spoke again during the execution scene in DOTM;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wcyuwmp52w

15. Darth Maul

Darth Maul Sith Lord

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure he says "Sam" (look at his mouth moving), but it was cut out of the film.

16. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    'Character'? Well, not being able to speak IS his character. He gets most of the screen time out of any of the Autobots.

What happened to, "Actions speak louder than words"?

17. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

Here's a theory. Bee will be able to speak normally as the successor to Optimus Prime. Instead of Hotrod, Bee could be the one. So when the time comes he'll be given the Matrix and some magic occurs so he can speak without radio interference.

18. tonks00

tonks00 spec ed

I think the reason that they haven't fully changed it is because Bay and ilm want to flex there muscles with bees expressive eyes is my guess

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    He's got the voice of Batman. How is that childish?

20. Scorpio

News Credits:
    No, his character is 'CHOOSING NOT TO SPEAK'

- He has the ability to speak
    - He has demonstrated his capacity to speak in every film (Including AOE)
    - He chooses not to speak normally

Not only is he choosing an inferior method of communication that prevents Bumblebee from given straight out 'facts, details, plot' (As Simmons would say) it prevents also the audience from connecting with him and his character from going.

The line 'actions speak louder than words' doesn't apply to the scenario at hand as we are comparing words with words - not actions with words. If we do compare words with words as you suggest then his speaking through any form would be invalid or a weaker representation of himself given that neither version would be superior due to a never-ending paradoxical equation.