Real men open their packages

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OmegaDead, Mar 21, 2008.

1. OmegaDead

OmegaDead Well-Known Member

I really can't get people that buy transformers/toys then keep them in the box. It's all about playing & having fun with the things you never got as kids.

In my books, If you keep it in the box it just means your trying to sell it some day and what is the fun in that. Go buy some stocks or mutual funds or something.

When I get a new bot I can't wait to open it up and transform it a few times at least. Then make a cool pose and put it up for display. (Until the next time I want to pick it up again anyway).

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Only little boys play with their toys.

Seriously though, might want to read what you write before posting cause you're not gonna make friends with posts like these.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Real men don't buy toys.

Also, some of the Japanese and Korean boxes have kick-ass artwork on them. I save them exclusively for that.

4. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

I agree with the poster, they are toys and they are meant to be played with, and he can say whatever he wants it's his opinion. Freedom is the right of all MISB TFs

5. OmegaDead

heh, little boys play with their toys? So why are you on a toy site? (by the way, maybe want to practice what you preach smkspy)

6. OmegaDead

And soundblaster1, Do real men collect toy boxes?

You keep yourself stuffed in a box like your toys. Me and my toys were born to be free! (and I am more man then you can handle ;) 

7. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To each his own. We're all fans of the same thing, why belittle others with such petty debates?

Also, real men show their packages. :cool: 

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    While I don't keep anything in the packaging, I don't see anything wrong with someone doing that with their collection. It is their property, so if they want to keep it minty fresh, that's their choice.

Seconded

9. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

I agree with Raven, you can have you own opinion, but don't dis other peoples.

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    It's cool to debate issues like this. But you have to be respectful of other members. Remember this if you want to keep posting here, dude.

That said, the only sealed toys I have are the ones I haven't had time to open yet. :D 

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

BLAH, I will do what I want with my Transformers. I happen to like the boxes and packaging as much as the toys themselves. Just because I keep them doesn't mean I want to sell them. I have no plans of selling my MISB transformers or ANY of them for that matter. I just keep everything.

These kinds of post are pointless. Everyone has the right do collect however they want and it doesn't make anyone less of a "MAN" for keeping their transformers MISB.

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Hmm. Look, everyone enjoys the hobby differently. I mean, I'm the kind of guy who likes to open his box, but I do understand that some guys like to keep their stuff mint or at least open the box and than keep them displayed in their box.

For some it's because they like that 'toy store' look to their displays and the room they display them in. Some guys may simply enjoy having a mint collection that's never been touched and some may be thinking of the potential resell value and, you know what, there's nothing wrong with that either. If you're a toy collector whom wants to keep his collection worth something than you won't open it, because it won't be worth as much. Doesn't necessarily mean that you'll ever sell it, but it does mean that you want to know that your collection is worth something. Let's face it; loose figures are never worth as much down the road as MISB figures... no matter what franchise you're talking about.

Guys like us like to open our toys and fiddle with them and than display them in cool action poses (I know I do), but that doesn't mean that everyone should or has to. Frankly, I'm impressed when I come on these boards and I see other's collections of MISB TFs because it does look rather stunning IMPO.

Honestly, one should always keep an open mind. Just because you don't do something or don't understand it doesn't make it wrong, stupid, ect. And, I do agree with smkspy, you should be careful of how you word things as you may be unintentionally flame baiting (or deliberately, but I don't get that vibe from you).

In short everyone is different and everyone has different ways of doing things. Doesn't make either or better... just different. And, as big as this fandom is becoming, I think there's plenty of room for a lot of different ways of doing things...

13. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    We all make our choices. I can see both sides I guess. While 99% of my stuff is opened, I do have a few sealed gems. :) 

14. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I'm not a MISB'er, but I understand why many people are. The toys often look very nice displayed in their packaging, and overall it gives displays a tidier, classier feel. Plus, as others mentioned, the boxes have all sorts of cool elements like artwork, tech specs, and graphic design. Sometimes when I see massive, slick MISB collections I WISH I had the self-control to be that kind of collector... they just look so darn cool.

Not to mention the investment aspect; I'm sure most of us don't WANT to ever sell our toys, but you can never be sure what life will throw at you. If you or someone you love suddenly has massive medical bills, or some other cash-draining emergency comes up... you'll get a lot more on eBay for MISB items than loose ones.

But to each his own. As Laser_Optimus said, this fandom is so large and diverse that it contains many types of collectors. I think part of BEING part of the fandom is trying to respect your fellow fans, however they choose to enjoy their hobby.

15. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

One of the most awesome things, is open an old G1 MISB. I do it with my (ex)MISB '86 Kup.

16. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    I thought real men had one in the package, one to open and a couple dozen extras of each cause: He who dies with the most toys wins !

:gen069: 

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

I take my toys out of the package asap... sometimes while driving... I just can't help myself :( 
    To each his own and all that.
    I wouldn't count myself a real man either ways though, but thats just me :( 

18. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Especially when you call someone out by name based on absolutely nothing they posted ever, let alone in this thread.

Nothing in my collection is sealed. If I choose to keep a box, all the power to me, no? It is my money after all. The stuff that is in a box is stuff that was stuck in a box/tub to be stored.

Anyway, enough of defending myself. I don't really need defended, do I?

19. OmegaDead

The "real men" part was just supposed to be a funny thread title to get people talking (looks like it worked). People take things too seriously. If people want to keep their toys all wrapped up whatever. I just get a lot more enjoyment playing around with the things.

In past experiances though from what I've seen, people who keep the toys wrapped up are looking to make a buck later and buy up multiple copies which keep other people from enjoying (and or) buying the toys themselves to play with. (which I'm not saying everyone does).

I just don't get it though. but I guess that's just me

20. Thundercloud

Thundercloud Lone wolf

I understand your point and share it at some level. I also understand and respect the concept of MISB and MIB although personally to me it as no value.
    I also love to get the figures out of the box and display them. Seeing them inside a package doesn't really appeal to me.

However, you can be certain that in the far future you will wish you kept some of them inside the box, as time, dust and wear will take its toll on the toy.

On another note, I don't think the poster was trying to attack anyone, just to state his point, maybe he just didn't choose the right words.
    And I actually found the title of the thread quite funny.