Reagrding the Finale, and Bumblebee's Voice

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Fierceawakening, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    I was joking and not.

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Having Bay Bumblebee unable to speak normally was a writing trick so he couldn't just explain to Sam what was going on the moment they met. He could still communicate the basics so their early partnership could function, but it was mostly just a cheap writing trick to save the big 'This is who we are and this is our story' for when Optimus arrived and made his grand introduction and speech.
    I would certainly think so. It's like those really fat people who say they're happy how they are and even if they could magically become thin tomorrow they'd not do it. All fat people would choose to be thin if offered a magical cure. Except maybe Sumo wrestlers.

In the end it's just the standard fiction thing of someone being injured or different and wanting to be like everyone else and in the end getting rewarded with their greatest wish because that's how a lot of stories work. It's not intended to diminish handicapped people. It's just a happy ending for a fictional character.

3. NeverDoubt

NeverDoubt Well-Known Member

That really depends on the person and the disability. There is the school of thought that rejects the idea the disabled need to be "fixed."

I've read for instance how some deaf people aren't interested in getting implants to help them hear. They have their own, unique community and they're proud of it. And they don't want to lose it.

4. Shattered

Shattered Well-Known Member

While I do agree that I've seen such things on shows portrayed in such a way(House being one such show). I always thought that it was because they belonged to a community and cared about it and didn't want to abandon it and those they cared for and that was the motivation for not wanting to fix their handicap. Such as the Father feeling a special bond with his son because they where both deaf and again with a boyfriend and a girlfriend. In the show they rejected the treatments so as not to lose a bond a connection. I believe that if they had the choice that they all could be cured they'd probably go for it. At least that's what I had understood, but again I admit it is subject to interpretation which has been my real point. We get out of a story what we want not what is always intended by the writer. It just proves how we shape our own perceptions. I'm handicapped and see it one way and the OP whose also handicapped see's it differently.

5. NeverDoubt

I think that says it all. :) 

As far as the deaf community, again from what I've read a big part of it is the community has created a unique language and culture and they are afraid implants would destroy that. Plus the attitude that the disabled need to be "fixed" is disturbing to many because it reminds them of eugenics.

6. T.F. Allen

T.F. Allen Better known everywhere else as Theatre Josh

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Before I say anything, I want to reiterate Cha Chi's point.

I actually thought that was what they did - "note that it doesn't really matter." I loved the exchange between Raf and 'Bee: "You don't need to say anything." "I never did." that actually made me tear up a little bit. I thought it was beautiful. Bumblebee acknowledged that, while it was nice to have his voice back, he never absolutely needed it. He had learned to form relationships without his voice.

I noticed that as well, and liked that 'Bee didn't even realize his voice was back. And that's also a key element. It had been stolen. The line he gave to Megatron was perfect in that regard.

I was going to point out Magnus myself. His was a nicely explored, if short, concept of injury, disability, and coping with disability.

slightly off-topic, but I highly recommend Avatar: The Last Airbender if you haven't seen it. Toph is often praised as one of the best characters. And there is a show called Switched at Birth with a large cast of deaf characters - some, if not all, played by deaf actors - that I think you would enjoy.

7. DrFabulous0

DrFabulous0 New Member

Best thread I've read on here for a while, shame the OP hasn't posted in a while. I can't agree though, I'm not a huge Bee fan myself, but my kids adore him, after throwing their hands in the air and cheering at Megatron's demise they were bouncing off the walls at BB speaking for the first time. I love Prime but ultimately it's a kid's show. Furthermore Bee not talking in the films worked and it was kinda cool in Prime, but it has got a bit tired now and it is better stopped now because if it carried on into the next series it would beocme an established tradition as mentioned before.

8. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    your taking this to personal.

9. NeverDoubt

It being a kid's show doesn't mean it can't ocasionally be a little deep. Like I said I think they balance it out well with Bee's conversation with Raf, and I admit I cheered too, but I do think the OP makes a valid point. They could just as easily have ended the story with Bee deciding he didn't need a voice.

It's like Beauty and the Beast. They say looks don't matter, oh but the beast is made into a handsome prince in the end anyway! Lol

10. Shortwave

Shortwave Autobot fembot

I my self am partialy Dear and Mute with a ton of other stuff inbetween.
    But i have to say Bee was a robot a machen macnenes can be fixed. i never took it as an afront to me when he spoke all i thaught was "Woh those big eyes now look daft with that mouth."
    Its as if i went on a rant in my Fembots size thred yelling that there size was a Patriarcal conspiracy. or that Slag was a dinobot Hooker (Some one draw that please.)
    I under stand the argument but honestly its been taken way out of context.

11. T.F. Allen

T.F. Allen Better known everywhere else as Theatre Josh

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    There's a video on Cracked.com that just dissects the awful messages of Disney movies. It's hilarious. :p 

12. DrFabulous0

DrFabulous0 New Member

No I agree, I don't think it would have been a bad thing if he never got his voice back, but they will try to appeal to their core audience and we aren't it, kids are. I can only base my opinion on my three boys but it was a massive thing to them.

13. NeverDoubt

I get you, but I don't think kids would have minded too much if Bee was just happy not having a voice. It wouldn't be the first cartoon to send such a message.

Oh well, like I said, I don't hate the ending the way it is. I cheered the same as any kid, lol. It is a very "Hell Yes!" moment. :D 

Thanks, I'll look into that, these Disney films should be held accountable! ;)