read any amazing books recently?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gregles, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Dran0n

Dran0n junk male

News Credits:
    Reread Chuck Klosterman's epic "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto". I generally read it about once a year... It's a really well-written collection of pop culture essays.

2. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    I wholeheartedly recommend anything by Lawrence Block, even if you're not typically a mystery fan. The Bernie Rhodenbarr books are more light hearted, while the Matthew Scudder series is more hard boiled detective fiction. And the Keller books are dark, given they're about a hit man, but also really well done. Seriously, I'm not sure you can go wrong picking up any of his books. His books on writing are also really good.

I'm also a huge fan of Michael Carroll. The Quantum Prophecy books are a little harder to find, but Super Human and The Ascension are sold in most book stores, and they're a fun super hero series with some interesting twists and turns.

The Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series by Tee Morris and Pip Ballantine are fun steampunk books. Also, if you want something off-beat but fun, check out Tee's Billibub Baddings mysteries, which are about a dwarf who is thrown from a fantasy world into 1940s Chicago, where he becomes a P.I.

3. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was pretty sad, but I had known it was coming, so it wasn't a shock or anything. The deaths in Mockingjay were worse for me.

4. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Allow me to suggest a few:

The Wounded Sky, by Diane Duane - great novel, heavy on theoretical physics and metaphysical stuff, plus includes a great scene of Sulu flying that big cruiser like a fighter plane (TOS)

The Vulcan Academy Murders (TOS)

The Final Reflection (pre-TOS) - came out prior to TNG, and is told from the Klingon perspective and made a first real attempt to define Klingon culture. Rendered noncanon by things revealed in TNG. Still a fascinating read.

Killing Time (TOS) - Romulan agents sabotage the formation of the Federation on Earth only to find that Vulcan takes the lead. The flagship of the Starfleet is the ShiKahr, commanded by Captain Spock - who has many run-ins with a young Ensign Kirk.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    For those looking for an amazing true story,

The Irregulars: Roald Dahl and the British Spy Ring in Wartime Washington by Jennet Conant.

It focuses on what Roald Dahl did during WW2, the politics behind the front lines both before and after the USA entered the war, and the almost unbelievable efforts and impact of the British Intelligence service during that era.

6. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I just finished the first book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series and I thought it was pretty good. I've heard that later books in the series aren't as good, but I'll have to see for myself. I probably won't get to read many more books that I recommend because of my summer reading. I have to read The Great Gatsby. If anyone has read the book, can they tell me if it is something I might like.

7. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

I am an extremely tough sell with regards to Star Trek (and Star Wars) books...but I'll look into these. I'm a big-time Romulan fan, so the last one in particular sounds decent...

...BTW, no, I don't like Diane Duane's rendition of the Romulans at all. The language she created for them is horrendous. I'm much more partial to what was used in the old FASA rpg books from the 1980s. Just seems to flow better, IMO.

8. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had expected it too, but I didn't know it would happen so soon after their alliance! I haven't read that one yet (just finished the first one), but I was spoiled for
    Prim's death
    , but I really hope to avoid any more spoilers. I don't even know how she dies. :wink: 

9. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Loved those old FASA books! The Rom ship recognition manual was one of my favorites - loved looking at the big bird-shaped cruisers and battleships.

No Roms in the Wounded Sky so you're safe there. As I recall the TNG episode Where No Man Has Gone Before was inspired by the story.

10. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Recent reads, both non-fiction and fiction:

-The Radicalism of the American Revolution by Gordon Wood
    -Free Will by Sam Harris
    -The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
    -The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universe and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
    -A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing by Lawrence Krauss

I haven't been reading much fiction lately, but I did just re-read the novel Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Celine, which is quasi-autobiographical and often credited with helping to develop 20th century literature. (It's also very funny.)

Also, I just started Envy by the Russian author Yuri Olesha.

11. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    I have to say I pulled out Raptor Red the other day and red it for like the 300th time. Its still a good rainy day read.

12. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

The hungry caterpillar, simply a classic epic.

13. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just finished The Hobbit two days ago, and tomorrow I hope to go back to the library and get The Fellowship of the Ring. I'm finally getting around to reading The Lord of the Rings books! :lol