Re-purchasing Old Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Pudglor Shmormuff, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

So I've been watching Beast Wars alot recently, and it motivated me to re-purchase alot of the Transmetals I owned as a kid- and I can't say how amazing it feels to have these toys back- brings back alot of memories. (like swimming with Transmetal Cheetor, and wondering why he started to chip and rust....I wasn't the smartest child)

This past week:
    Transmetal Cheetor
    Transmetal Cheetor (Fox Kids Edition) (I'm renaming him Tigertron- screw the story...)
    Transmetal Rattrap (Fox Kids Edition)
    Transmetal Ramulus
    30th Anniversary Optimus Primal

Transmetal Tarantulas (Fox Kids Edition)
    Botcon 2015 Waruders (Just 1- the black G1 style Waspinator)
    UN-31 Beast Megatron
    Fall of Cybertron Kickback (He doesn't have any fur, nor is he a transmetal- but I still think he'll blend in well with my Predacons ^_^)
    Transformers GO! Voyager Dragotron (AKA Predaking) (Another nice addition to my Predacons ^_^)

But It's really the BW toys that take me back- and I'm even purchasing ones I never had, like Transmetal Tarantulas, and he's pretty darn sweet. I had to tweak and mod him a little, but he's definitely a cool figure.

One of the best things about being older and getting these toys back is that now I can apply the customization and enhancement skills I've learned to them:
    I can tighten the joints. (Future floor polish)
    I can strip the paint or chrome off. (Purple Power bath + a toothbrush)
    I can add detailing with basic panel lining. (Micron Pen + q-tip or eraser)
    I can make these old toys better than they ever were. ^_^

So, how often do you find yourself re-purchasing old toys?
    What are some specific ones that meant alot to you?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interestingly enough, I've repurchased Beast Wars Alligator Megatron, a few times. Had him as a kid (I actually hated Transformers, but I LOVED crocodiles), but I got rid of him because I couldn't stand that spring-loaded transformation. Got older, got into Transformers, picked him up again.

I'll probably find myself re-buying Beast Wars Terragator again at some point, even though I dislike partsforming, which I why I got rid of him in the first place...

Must be a Beast Wars thing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

I don't re-purchase a lot, but I have to admit, when I do, I really LOVE having the confidence to strip it down, clean it up, modify it, and put it back together.

I had not consciously realized that until I read your post, so thanks for that. I've given mobility to frozen joints, replaced parts thanks to junker figures, added new stickers or paint.

The common ones for me are Throttlebots. Those little pull-back motors almost always still work, despite being 30 years old. Even on the trashed ones. Those chunky little bots are great for quick custom paints, too.

4. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:

BW ironically is what got me back into tfs in the mid 90's and in the same way i was scouting for g1 stuff, and it was hard, this was pre internet days. i thought i was the only one. But boy they were cheap back then compared to today.

5. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

The strange thing is: They might cost more now, but with the customization and enhancement knowledge alot of us have now, I'd say it's quite the justified investment to track down and purchase a particular BW figure, and possibly make it better than it originally was. ^_^

6. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I re-purchased Cybertron Optimus Prime and Cybertron Galvatron this past May, and it felt wonderful, almost better than a brand new figure. I feel like a lot of newer collectors getting in on the G1 nostalgia with TR and the MP line would benefit from going back and purchasing some of the post G1 figures, just because they aren't G1 doesn't mean they aren't great!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tend not to repurchase figures once I have gotten rid of them. I feel like it doubles the price.

That being said, I did just repurchase a couple of action masters. I originally got them in an ebay lot, had no love for them, and then passed them on. But I recently picked up an AM Krok cheaper than the TR version...and then got hit with a compulsive urge to replace the AM figures that I gave away.

Aaand that's my story.

8. Jhund

Jhund Screws>Pins

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hmm I won't say I bought back the same stuff but similar to you rewatched beast wars , got curious of how the toys improved over time , wikied it and got sucked back in . But I bit the bullet on mp optimus primal instead of getting the ultra class of him again . Dino bot mp will probably get my money and so would the inevitable recolour into bw grimlock I Guess