Re-Generation #91 Discussion thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Kickback, May 8, 2013.

1. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Didn't see a thread. This was released on Comixology (or at least I got it).

G2 fans will be happy.

Issue ends with Rook and Jhiaxus

This kind of killed it for me. Thought we weren't going to see them in this. Just more re-treading of things he's already written.

2. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since you put spoilers in the title, I don't think we need to use spoiler tags within the thread.. (Personal issue since I'm using an ipad and I can't see them without hitting quote).

Anywho, we knew from issue 80.5 that it was a pretty good possibility he'd be in it, and confirmed in interviews with Furman that he'd eventually be in it.

Also looks like Brainstorm and Hardhead survived that explosion... Need to take them off my "thread of the dead".

My biggest beef with this issue is all of the generics. Between 7 years of G1 and however many in G2, they really couldn't fill a crowd scene with known characters?

3. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Are there any characters left that aren't dead or in the plot? I mean, most of the 84-86 crew is deceased.

I only put the spoiler tag because someone would complain about the spoilers if I didn't.

4. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    He should have ended it with Leige Maximo or whatever his name was. That would have made it a bit more exciting in my opinion. Show why he was supposed to be the uber badass Decepticon that was basically Megatron's daddy. He got mentions in G2, and only I think 1 or 2 pages at the end of the series...and that's it for official story.

5. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Transformers: Mememaster

News Credits:
    I liked this one. Hot Rod is actually quite interesting and I like how little faith the Autobots have in him (I always used to find it weird that, in the cartoon series, the Autobots just accepted Rodimus just like that).

The last few pages have got me intrigued. It's not just Rook and Jhiaxus appearing, it's the Hub, too, so presumably the Cybertronian Empire still exists. Hopefully, Furman will pick this thread up from where the original G2 ended instead of doing a rehash. I don't have G2 close at hand, but the second-to-last page of #91 with Jhiaxus looks similar to the very last page of G2 (but with Jhiaxus in the place of the Liege Maximo).

6. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Most of the Autobots that fell at Starscream's hand were given the Nucleon treatment and returned at the end of the original series. The Decepticons, however.... They're in a hole.

Alt first it didn't make sense that Grimlock DIDN'T give Nucleon to all of the Autobots, but it seems the once he neglected were ones he didn't know that were part of Fort Max's division... Apparently he was picky.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I laughed out loud at that one scene. "Hey shouldn't you be in quarantine?" "DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT CUZ GRIMLOCK'S ALIVE".

I don't know after catching up with this I can't help but feel that the entire thing feels like Furman doing a parody of Furman. Can't even go to the bathroom without ALL TIME AND SPACE BEING THREATENED... FOREVERRR!

8. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    With destroyed Earth and Jhaixus and Bludgeon with his War World I really don't understand why G2 was ignored. Couldn't we have had G2 canon, skipped retelling alot of this, and got to the new material? Surely we could have still had the Hot Rod story, the final Megatron battle, and even the lame Scorponok evil key story without having removed G2? Or was putting Grimlock back in his Action Master body to show him get rid of it that important?

9. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    The G2 fan in me wanted to jump up and down and shriek with pure joy.

But the part of me going, "Okay Simon, you've got like... half a dozen plot threads all going at once and you've only got so many issues to wrap this up. Let's not introduce anymo... oh." for the last couple issues was too busy burying his head in his hands and groaning just a little.

Also, why don't the other Dinobots get to do anything but be Grimlock harem of battered wives?

10. noblekale

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'm pretty sure he mentioned somewhere that this storyline wouldn't affect the G2 storyline in any negative (read: retconning) ways, and G2 could still happen after the end of this series. But, I find that kind of hard to believe now, with several of the main characters from G2 already dead or significantly different than they were.

Unless, of course, there's going to be a magic reset button at the end of it to put things back to the way they were in G2 (bring Fort Max and a few others back, reset Prime's status quo, restore humanity, etc...), I don't see how the two could work together.

11. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This book is just too dumb for words.

12. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Plot lines that have 9 issues to resolve:

- Galvatron, Starscream, and Shockwave
    - Hot Rod, the Dinobots, and the Primals
    - Bludgeon, Soundwave, and Thunderwing
    - Jhiaxus and Rook
    - Optimus Prime driving around Earth doing ... God only knows what
    - The fabric of space and time falling apart somehow

At least it's not going to be rushed like War Within Volume 2's ending was! /sarcasm

13. noblekale

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    You forgot the human subplot, the Nebulon subplot, and the subplot dealing with the Autobots who are asking to be jailed and face punishment, which in and of itself is stupid. It's one thing to carry the guilt of what they had to do, but asking to be jailed and tried as war criminals?

14. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    Simplest solution: destroy the universe.
    I really wanted to like this series. After 8 issues I threw in the towel. Liked 85 but that was it and even that wasn't so much for the story but for some of the artistic flair. And Springer.

15. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Hey now be nice... Transformers Regeneration One in many ways is a lot like The Following. All the people tuning in want to know is one thing how is it going to end.

16. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I thought that Furman got the shaft when he discovered he had like 5 issues left in G2 to wrap things up.

Even worse in G1 when he got like THREE issues of notice before he was cancelled.

This time he WENT IN TO THE SERIES knowing when he'd be cut off and he's creating this whole fucking shitstorm of events that are spiraling out of control and I just want to shake a baby or something.

17. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When they said this was going to ignore gen 2 , I decided not to read or buy this book, now I am happy I made that decision

He could have kept g2 easily and still have done a lot of this

I'd admit I wanted to see how the nucleon thing ended as with the last autobots and a short miniseries telling us about that would have been nice if it had fit with g1 and g2,but the rest of this. Old have easily been done without scrapping g2

18. fryguy81

fryguy81 Rungover

Ebay:
    I agree with what was said on Radio Free Cybertron, it's the story people demanded and nobody wanted.

A lot of the characters seem closer to how they were in the IDW-verse rather than the MArvel universe. The crack at the end of time is an interesting dynamic and may play a part in rebooting everything to fit, but it's just all over the board.

I'm thinking this is Furman collecting a check. It just seems half-hearted on his part.

19. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I should find and polish up the old "Transformers: Generation Gap" scripts I wrote a few years ago that took place after the original G1 comics ala RG1 and the club. One thing I did similar to Furman was remember the Headmaster heads on Nebulos and that's how Scorponok returned. Though it was nothing like how Furman did it...

20. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know what? I find myself wanting to see how G2 would have continued. The story involving:
    Original Autobot/Decepticon teamup
    Starscreams matrix infusion
    Leige Maximo
    Generation 2 Decepticons
    They had a few interesting things there that could have been expanded on. Regeneration just seems to be a slaughterfest, and if they put Unicron in it I really doubt anyone will be left at the end.