Rattrap (Possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AutoScott, Jun 22, 2014.

1. AutoScott

AutoScott Dinobot

If you're not up to date with the issues currently out, probably best to tune out. I'm talking Windblade #2 RID #30

Hey, so I've recently got myself up to date with the current run and I've got to ask if I'm the only one feeling a little iffy about IDW Rattrap. Don't get me wrong I don't hate what they're doing with the guy, but it seems like a radical departure from the Rattrap I knew. Sure he's not the most radical change we've seen, but Rattrap for me was always a bit of a favourite and I find his new personality off putting.

I never wanted a "clean cut/good guy type" that's never really been what I think of when I think Rattrap. But his straight up villainy to this point and schemer nature seems really... odd. The Rattrap I knew was cowardly, sure. Perhaps even a little selfish at times, but he always seemed to stand for the well being of his friends and he never struck me as a bad guy. I suppose it just feels a little forced to make him Starscreams little buddy.

I'll see where they're going with this, but am I the only one who's hoping for a return of the old Rattrap? Or at least some redeeming quality that would explain why he was ever fighting the Decepticons before? Or do you hope he'll keep going the way he's going?

2. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    This isn't the same Rattrap. In the same way this Bumblebee isn't the same Bumblebee as the one in the Marvel comics or 80s cartoon.

3. AutoScott

AutoScott Dinobot

Yeah definitely, I get that. I never expected he'd be the same guy we watched in Beast wars, but he did mention he fought the Decepticon's when he first met Starscream. So I kind of expected a bit more of an Autobot personality about him. I haven't got any problem with him being Starscreams partner in crime since it kind of works. But when he started helping with the more messed up stuff (I'm assuming the assassination attempt on Windblade was those two at this point) I just felt it was so radical of a change I was a little surprised.

I mean, nearly all of the IDW cast have a moral grey area, even the Autobots. But I never expected him to be this different. Eh, whatever. I'll see what they do with the guy, but I'd like to see some redeeming qualities in future. If not, I'll live

4. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    If I remember correctly, didn't Rattrap mention being stranded on a planet while everyone else went out and did things? That could easily explain his personality change. Had the Rattrap from Beast Wars been stranded and left alone, thinking his friends betrayed him, left him to do something more glorious, or sought the spotlight themselves, couldn't he possibly have ended up going down the same route as this one?

5. AutoScott

AutoScott Dinobot

I'm not sure, man. I'll have a quick look and see what I find. But definitely you're right that situations like that could change a person and maybe that's what happened here.

EDIT:

[​IMG]

Well yeah, he was stranded but he did say he fought the Decepticons too. So unless we get some more insight into what exactly happened there, we can only assume. Perhaps he was alone for a while, or maybe he just doesn't care that much now the war is over. He's definitely more of a schemer in IDW than he was in BW, and perhaps he's just a hell of a lot more about #1.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I know he's not the same Rattrap but it doesn't mean I don't like what they've done to him.

He seems a bit more like a flanderized take on the character.

7. AutoScott

AutoScott Dinobot

I'm sure I'll learn to love the little guy again ;)  I just hope he doesn't become a throw away character in the end, and we get to know him more

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just take it as it is. There was a toy coming so they shoe-horned him in.