rant over no co-op story mode

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by shadowsfm, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Didn't seem like that for me, though I played co-op most of the time.

:lol  most games that I've played I do have squad mates with me. Though the Mass Effect games (Halo and GoW also.) are the only ones where they were actually effective.

2. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Watching the latest video with Matt Tieger and Dave Cravens, kinda actually cements why they felt the need to drop co-op from the game. With SP games like the Batman Arkham series, Uncharted and such, there are things that specifically happen to the characters that are needed to tell the story and use their talents and such. Those experience wouldn't be shared with other characters. I even remember with a game like Rainbow Six Vegas 2, the couple of solo missions in there played out a bit differently to what the rest of the game was like when you had a squad with you.

Think of how Batman was under the influence of Scarecrow's Fear toxin in AA, or how Nathan Drake was trying to escape the train crash Uncharted 2.

3. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still feel the story could have been done. There are five different Dinobots, each of whom had a different experience and view point of their dinosaur Transformation. While I might not be able to see Grimlocks experience there are four other equally disturbing/interesting points of view to be had, and if what was said in the interview is any indication, no one's story will be as disturbing or moving as Sludge's--I needed to know what happened to him two nights ago!

One of the things I really liked about Co-op campaign play was when Optimus, Iron Hide and Warparth get separated. When could hear what was happening to our partners, but could nothing to help them, as we were isolated from them, dealing with our own issues. Why couldn't that have happened here? I don't know about everyone else, but I replayed that chapter two more times, as I wanted to see what everyone else was going through before regrouping.

4. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

They said the levels would be character specific, but perhaps that doesn't necessarily mean there will be no co-op. While co-op was a lesser factor of WFC, for those that still want it there, HMS should consider a co-op option for the campaign somehow. Such as one player having to help another through areas. In levels with both Jazz and Cliffjumper, there could be segments where they split up and meet again. Eliminating co-op entirely would be a bad move, IMO, even though I don't play it. It should be present as an option for those that wish to go through the game with a friend.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I think a great idea to getting around the character specific levels when it comes to co-op, would be to have player 2 be a generic robot at all times, and then give that bot/con any special abilities needed to get through the different levels. Maybe even change the generic bot's class to match that of player 1's character. As for how that would affect cut-scenes, if Halo Reach can get away with ignoring player two during cut-scenes, I don't think there's any reason FoC shouldn't be able to get away with the same thing.

6. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I was about to say this too. Maybe have Player 2 as a repaint of Player 1? On Jazz levels, Player 2 could be Ricochet, and on Cliffjumper Levels, Bumper, and on Vortex levels, Ro-tor, and so on?

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That could work well, and would give the fandom some un-expected nods that we wouldn't normally have been expecting. They wouldn't be named, as they wouldn't have anything to do with the story, but we would get who it was meant to be. Though some characters would be harder to do this with. Grimlock comes to mind...Maybe paint-up player 2 in green as a reference to RID Grimlock?

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The removal of campaign co-op play allows High Moon Studios to be less creative, as they no longer have to write playful dialog for every level you traverse, which I will miss since it was really good.

I wonder if campaign co-op was removed for reasons explained by character specific missions—how do we know that every stage calls for an assistant?

I still feel this is a huge opportunity High Moon Studios has opted to remove itself from. A few friends of mine who weren’t Transformers enthusiasts purchased this game just to have a game to play with me through from start to finish—there aren’t a lot of games that offer what WFC does. I think I can say without a doubt my friends would have picked up FOC without a doubt had campaign co-op been a done deal (they may still), but now that it’s not I don’t know.

I’m sure the story HMS is crafting will be as entertaining as the first if not better, the game play too, but it’ll never be as fun as the first, IMHO. Nothing is more fun than playing a game through with folks you care about:( 

The fact that this game is still a year out does give hope, even if just a sliver.

9. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Are you kidding me? What difference does having 3 characters for each level make when they most played the same? Bumblebee had Shockwave and Sideswipe had what? Whirlwind?

You CAN make a better story if you have levels designed for each character. You can't make an effective level with let's say Bumblebee dying if you don't play as Bumblebee. If you play as him you can experience his thoughts and fear and they can incorporate things such as tension, memories and other things.

What if you played as Jazz instead with Bumblebee as a partner? All you see is Bumblebee die and then that's it. Maybe there may be a small scene but the impact is only down to the fact that people have known Bumblebee for years.

I say wait and play the game before making judgements. In my honest opinion having a different character in a level will make a minimal difference like Starscream will interact with Swoop differently but will still get thrown in the end somehow. Maybe instead he'll be kicked. Many people are acting lie they've played the game already or the game is doomed to be bad. Let's just wait.