Rann-Thanagar War Question

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by DarkAngelPrime, Sep 14, 2005.

1. DarkAngelPrime

DarkAngelPrime Lawful Good

So, Rann-Thanagar War is the only Infinite Crisis mini on which I decided to pass, but now that the event is almost here, I'm worried I've missed something. The reason I decided not to buy it was because I assumed it would be tied into the Adam Strange mini that ended almost right before it started. For anyone who's read both, is there anything in the Adam Strange mini that has a bearing on RTW? If it's relatively minor, feel free to just spill it. I'd like to try and catch up on Rann-Thanagar and want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

2. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

The events that occured in the Adam Strange mini-serie is the main catalyst for the Rann-Thanagar war.

You should still be able to understand what's happening thanks to the recap at the beginning of the RTW serie.

But reading the Adam Strange serie would definitely help you understand the events.

3. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Rann-Thanagar War is a direct sequel to the (far superior) Adam Strange mini.

This is also the reason why it's not so good. If you haven't read the miniseries, and aren't up on continuity, Rann-Thanagar is a train wreck. Pretty much all the necessary setup that should be in Rann-Thanagar is done in the Adam Strange mini, and what's left isn't enough for 6 issues (IMHO)

The Adam Strange mini has already been collected into a TP called Planet Heist. If you've got the $20, you should get it.

-XCN-

4. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

This was the only mini I decided to get just because it features Kyle Rayner, but I wish I would have gone with the OMAC project instead...

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rann-Thanagar is far and away the worst of the Countdown minis. The story's not as nearly as fun as Villains United or Day of Vengeance, and honestly seems really crowded. Maybe it's just because I'm new to DC and don't know much about it's outer space places and characters. Still, I don't know anything about its magic world, and Days of Vengeance reads just fine.

6. DarkAngelPrime

DarkAngelPrime Lawful Good

Hm. Well, that all gives me some things to think about. Thanks for the feedback, gang.

7. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm actually enjoying Rann-Thanagar War, but as XCN said, it's due mostly to my reading the Adam Strange mini and having a good amount of knowledge in the backstory about many of the characters. While it isn't as good as OMAC or Villains United, I still feel it ranks above Day of Vengance.