Ranking the Films of 2018

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Rusty24, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

It’s that time of year again when we look back on the past year in cinema and pick out our favorite and least favorite movies we watched.

My Top 10:
    1. Avengers: Infinity War- This wasn’t just a movie, it was an excellent culmination of ten years of storytelling. Every character got something to do and had a hard choice to make. The ending is the best cliffhanger in years.
    2. Mission Impossible: Fallout- The MI series just keeps getting better. This really is the best action movie of the last few years. The storytelling is efficient and explores Ethan Hunt’s character more than ever, and the stunts are absolutely jaw dropping.
    3. Bumblebee- I had a grin on my face the whole time I watched this. The relationship between Charlie and Bumblebee was very heartfelt, and the action was really good. The 80’s soundtrack was probably the best I’ve heard all year.
    4. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse- This exceeded so many of my expectations. This version of Peter Parker, Miles, and Gwen all make a great trio, and the animation was very unique.
    5. Solo: A Star Wars Story- Yes I admit that I kinda loved Solo. It just felt the most like a Star Wars movie to me of all the Disney movies. The chase scenes were great, and I loved seeing all the EU references I read about when I was a kid. The scale of the movie was just right too because it wasn’t about saving the galaxy, it was about a bunch of factions trying to get some money and fuel.
    6. Creed 2- It’s everything that was great about Creed 1 but now with a Drago family subplot.
    7. Halloween- It was a bit of a retread in spots, but it’s also the only Halloween sequel to capture the tone of the original. In that regard it was perfect, and I liked Laurie’s character arc.
    8. Blackkklansman- I’m not normally a Spike Lee fan, but this was a great story that was dramatic and funny in the right spots.
    9. Mandy- You know if this movie is for you or not if you’ve seen the trailer. The cinematography and soundtrack is just excellent.
    10. Upgrade- It was a good little action movie with a bit of a Black Mirror style twist.

My Bottom 3:
    1. A Wrinkle In Time- I liked the book when I read it in seventh grade, and this just has none of the magic with plenty of terrible acting and atrocious special effects.
    2. Fantastic Beasts and the Crimes of Grindelwald- There is no character development in this movie, and this movie reveals things that make the overall backstory from the books less interesting; that’s without getting into all the retcons either.
    3. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom- It’s entertaining and watchable, but there are a lot of dumb plot points and out of place political references. I’ll still be there for Jurassic World 3 after the ending though.

2. electronic456

electronic456 Advocator for Balance

News Credits:
    Trying to remember on top of my head every movie I've watched. So here's my list of movies that came out this year.
    1. Mission Impossible: Fallout
    This genuinely is an exciting film filled with very, very practical and smooth action. As the latest instalment, it hits home with the story of the MI series (i.e. the return of Michelle Monaghan) as well giving us the best villain to date in Henry Cavill. This may even be the best instalment of the series yet.

The next few movies I don't know to rank them. But here are my brief thoughts.

2. Avengers: Infinity War
    A pretty special event. Building off from the massive world-building the MCU has created, there's a few things I wish were different. But overall, pretty solid.

3. Incredibles 2
    This movie is generally speaking pretty good. The villain is admittedly disappointing but man does Brad Bird know how to do animation. The first movie is still better because I felt there was a better balance with the story arcs (But that movie is like really excellent, so this isn't too bad). Also I wish Mr.Incredible had more to do as a superhero; felt like his arc compared to Elastigirl changes the pacing in a few moments.

4. Deadpool 2
    A neat sequel to the 2016 movie. There were more moments humanising Wade Wilson in this film and I feel like as a factor to the story, it's better than the 2016 film. That's not taking anything away from the 2016 film, I felt like in this film they built off successfully. I actually saw Cable becoming a good guy in the end, so I wasn't as surprised. Still, the bad guys in this film are pretty funny for the time being.

5. Black Panther
    This movie to me is basically enjoyable enough, it isn't really the hype movie that it is. As far as MCU movie drama goes, this is pretty good in how it explores the family dynamic, the responsibilities of a king as well as explaining Wakanda to us. As far as entertainment goes, it's fine in my book. The CGI has been talked to death, I do think they did a good job utilising it for certain moments such as the ancestral plane. But then you have moments like the rhinos which made me go, "Ryan Coogler is definitely new to this stuff."

6. Tomb Raider
    This movie is fine. I mean they really fought hard to break the video game curse in this. I think this movie could benefit much more by placing Lara in situations such as harsh weather or dangerous animals to make this movie more of a thrill-ride. I don't mind the kind of plot a movie like this has, but I think execution counts more. I do enjoy the set up to this movie by the way.

7. Game Night
    This is a comedy movie that came out pretty early this year and it was alright. Comedy is very hard to nail down with me and I can say it's certainly not too cringeworthy to watch.
    8. Solo: A Star Wars Story
    This to me, is perhaps my least favourite film of the year. I'm actually one of the few people who doesn't hate the Last Jedi, but this movie to me had some issues. I wish Chris Miller and Phil Lord were still on board with this, no offence to Ron Howard. This is the kind of movie that needs their flair and energy which was a problem when I watched the movie. The pacing was slow to me and it didn't work as an adventure. It didn't really add much to Han Solo as a character, I don't know if that has to do with reshoots though. I do appreciate certain shots, certain references and I will say that 'cameo' did spark a bit of interest in where the franchise could go. But overall, this is a miss with me.

As of now, I have a lot to catch up on since I don't have the time or money to go to the cinemas all the time. There's some films like Blackkklansman that I plan to check out as well as movies like A Quiet Place or Ready Player One that I plan on finishing up. Mainly get to movies that are buzzing with praise and maybe watch some 'bad' movies to see if I count as a minority.

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

The worst movies of the year are Gotti, Red Sparrow, and The Predator.

The best movies are Halloween, Bad Times at the El Royale, and Black Panther.

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    1. Hereditary
    2. The Favourite
    3. Leave No Trace
    4. BlacKkKlansman
    5. Roma
    6. Annihilation
    7. Mandy
    8. MI Fallout
    9. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    10. Widows

Honorable mentions:
    Tully
    Can You Ever Forgive Me?
    First Reformed
    Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

Haven’t seen:
    If Beale Street Could Talk

Worst of the Year:
    Solo
    Venom
    Ready Player One
    Red Sparrow
    Aquaman
    American Animals
    Cloverfield Paradox

5. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    I’m one of those “general audience” types who never sees the ones that make up the majority of the Best Picture nominees so don’t judge!

1. Black Panther
    2. Infinity War
    3. Sorry to Bother You
    4. The Black Klansman
    5. Bumblebee
    6. Incredibles 2
    7. Ant-Man and the Wasp
    8. Aquaman

Intend to see Spiderverse, just haven’t gotten to yet.

Honorable mention to Venom and Fallen Kingdom for being turkeys but with some good bits (that Brachiosaurus scene is never going to leave me).

6. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    1. Bumblebee - 9.10
    One of those once-in-a-lifetime movies for me. I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in years, and I doubt I'll enjoy another movie this much for a good long time. I fully admit that my love for Transformers creates some bias, but that's 100% okay with me. I judge movies based on personal enjoyment. This movie was just a blast to watch, and it did so many things I've been wanting to see in a Transformers movie forever. Heck, a lot of things I enjoy seeing in movies in general were present here.

2. Pacific Rim: Uprising - 8.5/10
    I know a lot of people don't like this one, but I love it. I thought it was a fun action romp that didn't take itself too seriously. I also thought it improved on several things from the first film, like more interesting main characters, and fights during daylight. (I do love the first one, but the supporting characters are the real show-stealers, the protagonists are boring as dust). I actually thought the fast, "video-gamey" style was a good thing for a sequel. Slow-moving, lumbering robots would get boring very quickly if they want to expand beyond one movie.

3. Avengers: Infinity War - 8.5/10
    Definitely my favorite of the Avengers movies. It's very complex and impressive on a technical level, and the storyline is interesting. I put it below Uprising though, because Uprising was just a funner (and probably more re-watchable) all-around experience for me. Infinity War only works if you have extensive knowledge of the MCU, and it's going to be heavily reliant on it's sequel. In a way it's hard to judge as a proper movie. It would probably be number one if I were a bigger superhero buff.

4. Christopher Robin - 8/10
    I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I thought this was a charming, cute movie that built upon the story of Winnie the Pooh in an interesting way. I'm kind of surprised I ended up putting it this high on my list, but I'd genuinely rather re-watch it than most of the other movies I've seen this year. It's just an all around nice movie.

5. Paddington 2 - 8/10
    Clever, well-made, and funny movie. These Paddington movies are just so solid. I don't recall having any attachment to the source material, but I can't help but love these movies. Everything from the story to the set design to the side characters is so much fun.

6. Ant-Man and the Wasp - 7.5/10
    I recall really enjoying this movie while I was watching it, but I have to admit it didn't really stick with me. The main thing I remember was the inventive ways they used the shrinking tech. They did more with the tech in this one, and I also enjoyed how the villain was handled. I could see my ranking going up if I were to see it again, but I can't see it moving higher on my list. Still, it's a solid and fun movie that's worth checking out.

7. Mary Poppins Returns - 7.5/10
    This was another pleasant surprise, I really didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. I thought the acting, the set design, and the overall story was a worthy successor to the original (even if the story did repeat a lot of the same elements). My main complaint is that the songs just weren't as memorable as the first. If they were, I think I'd have enjoyed this a bit more.

8. Rampage - 7/10
    Similar to Ant-Man, this is one that I recall enjoying, but it didn't really stick with me at all. I thought it suffered from the same problem that a lot of Kaiju movies suffer from: a lack of interesting characters. I would recommend it though, especially if you want to see a decent Kaiju movie (which there are relatively few of).

9. Black Panther - 7/10
    Gotta be honest: I didn't like this one nearly as much as everyone else seemed to. I like Black Panther himself a lot, I think he's a neat superhero. Aside from him, this movie just wasn't very memorable to me. I don't remember who the supporting characters were, what the humor was like, or what happened during most of the middle act. I'm glad so many other people seem to see this as a masterpiece, but I can't say I get that.

10. Won't You Be My Neighbor - 7/10
    Since I don't really have a connection to the source material, I can't say this had a huge personal impact on me. Still, I acknowledge that it's a well-made documentary, and I enjoyed watching it.

11. Ralph Breaks the Internet - 6/10
    Now we're getting into the category of movies that boarder on dislike. I didn't hate Wreck it Ralph 2, but I thought it paled in comparison to the first. The storyline wasn't as interesting, the side characters weren't as memorable, and the humor just wasn't as funny. I got about what I expected (I'd describe it as typical sequel material), but I'm still disappointed we didn't get something that could compare with the first.

12. Solo: A Star Wars Story - 6/10
    While this isn't my least favorite Star Wars movie, it's definitely the cheapest to me. I wasn't hyped for it, and I walked out not feeling pleasantly surprised. While all the other Star Wars movies (good or bad) left some kind of impact on me, Solo almost felt like watching a ripoff. I don't hate Solo, but the idea of an unremarkable Star Wars movie makes me sad (especially considering how hyped I was for TFA and Rogue One just a couple years back).

13. Into the Spider-Verse - 6/10
    I guess this is where things start getting downright controversial. Again, I didn't hate this movie by any means, but I really don't get the extreme hype for it. I don't see it as the ideal or definitive Spider-Man movie, or really even that remarkable of a movie in general. I would actually put this in the category of a movie I like, but in the same way I like other passable animated movies (something like The Secret Life of Pets, maybe). I put it this low because I frankly can't see myself rewatching it, at least anytime soon. Not sure I'd check out any sequels.

14. A Quiet Place - 5.5/10
    Another controversial one. I would describe this as okay. I thought the characters were well-done, and the overall story was interesting, but I hated the fact that it stretches logic so much. You really can't think about the technical details of this movie at all. As someone who notices them, and enjoys thinking out the logic of fictional stories, that really lowers my enjoyment of it. I think I would have been able to enjoy this more if the movie existed in a more fantastical world. Another thing that might account for me not enjoying this as much as some is simply because I'm not a horror guy.

15. Smallfoot - 5/10
    I had high hopes for this based on the teaser, but sadly the final movie just wasn't that good. I enjoyed aspects of it, but I didn't think it was very funny or very clever. The movie seemed to run out of story at about the halfway point, so the premise just kind of switched to a weird conspiracy thing. It's not horrible, but it's about as run-of-the-mill and bland as you can get with animated movies.

16. Incredibles 2 - 4/10
    I wouldn't quite say I hated this movie, but it's about the closest I got this year. I just thought this movie was boring, bland, unnecessary, and even annoying in places. I really love the first Incredibles, it's definitely in my top 5 Pixar movies. The first movie was a fast-paced adventure, but this felt like the exact opposite. It was like a bland edition of the first movie. Mr. Incredible doing bland things. A bland villain. Bland action. A bland premise. Even the main conflict was just kind of bland. The new superheroes weren't very well developed. I get that it's hard to compete with the first film, but it's like this movie didn't even try. Even something like Finding Dory (or dare I say...Cars 2) adds something to the world and story. I didn't feel like this added a thing, I don't know these characters or this world any better than I did before. This is definitely one of those sequels that I'm just going to pretend doesn't exist, because in some ways it actually cheapens the first film.

7. Inanimate Carbon Rodimus

Inanimate Carbon Rodimus In Rod We Trust

I didn’t watch many films this year...

- Avengers Infinity War - 10/10
    - Venom - 8.5/10
    - Incredibles 2 - 8/10
    - Bumblebee - 7.5/10
    - Antman and the Wasp - 5/10
    - Jurassic World 2 - 4.5/10
    - Deadpool 2 - 3/10

8. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    1. Halloween
    2. Spider Man Into the Spiderverse
    3. Bumblebee
    4. Aquaman
    5. Deadpool 2
    6. Incredibles 2
    7. Ant Man & the Wasp
    8. Mission Impossible Fallout
    9. Black Panther
    10. The Predator
    11. Avengers Infinity War
    12. Venom
    13. Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom
    14. Solo: A Star Wars Story
    15. Fantastic Beasts Crimes of Grindelwald
    16. Pacific Rim Uprising

In my opinion the only real bad movie on this last was Pacific Rim.

• Like Like x 1
  9. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Best of 2018
    1. Avengers: Infinity War
    2. Black Panther
    3. Ralph Breaks the Internet
    4. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    5. Creed II
    6. Commando Ninja
    7. Deadpool 2
    8. Incredibles 2
    9. Ready Player One
    10. Won't You Be My Neighbor?
    11. Bohemian Rhapsody
    12. Ant-Man and the Wasp
    13. First Man
    14. Aquaman
    15. Tomb Raider
    16. Mazinger Z: Infinity
    17. Book Club

Worst of 2018
    1. Pacific Rim Uprising
    2. Solo: A Star Wars Story
    3. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    4. Venom
    5. Red Sparrow
    6. Batman Ninja

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  10. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

11. Dr Kain

My top 10 movies of 2018:

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

Three billboards outside ebbing Missouri is the underrated classic of the year in my opinion. I saw it on a plane with no expectations and it seemed to have something for everyone and it continually mixed things up making me laugh on minute and then almost bringing me to tears the next. The film seemed to successfully bring out the humanity and subtlety out of even its most unsympathetic and horrific characters.

I really wanted to see suspiria and widows as I missed them both at the cinema so I will probably get them on dvd or blue ray when they are released.

I guess in terms of blockbusters it’s been marvels year again with avengers and black panther winning the box office

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was from 2017 and dominated every awards show last year and early 2018. AKA it was the farthest thing from underrated. :) 

14. gregles

gregles quintesson

My mistake I thought it was this year. I don’t really follow awards and no one I knew had seen it with everyone focusing on the big super hero movies

15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Not all that is seen is truth. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Let's see... there's still a few films I need to see, but probably won't get to soon... so out of what I've watched (listed as favorite to least favorite):

•Avengers: Infinity War
    •Bumblebee
    •Deadpool 2
    •Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle
    •Aquaman
    •Christmas Chronicles
    •Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    •Creed 2
    •Black Panther
    •Bleach
    •Rampage
    •Ant-Man and the Wasp
    •Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    •Tag
    •Incredibles 2
    •Venom
    •Solo
    •Peter Rabbit
    •Happytime Murders
    •Pacific Rim Uprising
    •Meg
    •Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
    •A Wrinkle In Time
    •Ninja Batman

Still need to see in no particular order:
    •Bird Box
    •Bohemian Rhapsody
    •Christopher Robin
    •Death of Superman
    •Grinch
    •House with a Clock in It's Walls
    •Marry Poppins Returns
    •Mortal Engines
    •Nutcracker and the Four Realms
    •Outlaw King
    •Predator
    •Ralph Breaks the Internet
    •Ready Player One
    •Red Sparrow
    •Reign of the Supermen
    •Robin Hood
    •Sherlock Gnomes
    •Skyscraper
    •Tomb Raider

16. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    That one isn’t out yet.

17. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Not all that is seen is truth. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    My bad. Thought it was out already for some reason.

18. Dr Kain

My Top 10 Worst movies of 2018:

19. Sky Ray

Sky Ray Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My 2018 ranking would look like this:

Bohemian Rhapsody
    Ant Man and the Wasp
    12 Strong
    Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse
    Ralph Breaks the Internet
    Avengers Infinity War
    Bumblebee
    Aquaman
    Black Panther
    Ready Player One
    Teen Titans Go to the Movies
    Overlord
    Tomb Raider
    Mission Impossible Fallout
    Anna and the Apocalypse
    A Quiet Place
    Agent Mr. Chan
    Operation Red Sea
    A Simple Favor
    Searching
    Beautiful Boy
    L Storm
    Crazy Rich Asians
    First Man
    Annihilation
    Solo A Star Wars Story
    Overboard
    Eighth Grade
    A Star is Born
    Fahrenheit 11/9
    The Incredibles 2
    Venom
    Fantastic Beasts The Crimes of Grindelwald
    Deadpool 2
    Ya Veremos
    Peppermint
    Leakers
    Detective Chinatown 2
    Go Brother
    Vice
    Big Brother
    Project Gutenberg
    Goosebumps 2 Haunted Halloween
    The House with Clocks in its Walls
    Christopher Robin
    Pacific Rim Uprising
    Second Act
    Alpha
    Pokemon the Movie The Power of Us
    My Hero Academia Two Heroes
    Golden Job
    The Meg
    Skyscraper
    Rampage
    The First Purge
    Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom
    Den of Thieves
    Sicario Day of the Soldado
    The Monkey King 3
    Super Troopers 2
    Mary Poppins Returns
    Tag
    Europe Raiders
    The Nun
    Sgt. Stubby An American Hero
    Slender Man
    15:17 to Paris
    Monster Hunt 2
    Action Point

The first ten are for sure my favorites this year, while the bottom last eight were definitely the worse this year, and everything in the middle range from pretty good to average.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's hard for me to remember what's come out in what year, especially since I wait for dvd on a lot of stuff.

But of the movies I've seen others list here, Annihilation was great, and Black Panther & Mission Impossible were very good. Deadpool 2 was fun.

Creed hasn't come out here yet, but I'm hoping that will make my 'best' list as well. And I want to see Roma, but haven't gotten around to it yet.