Random Transformers Thoughts

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Venixion, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It being animated is what got my interest too. Transformers are always gonna be cgi creations on film so might as well just go the extra mile and make the whole world around them animated as well.

• Like Like x 4
  2. M'Kyuun

M'Kyuun Well-Known Member

Totally off-topic random thought: while I prefer Transformers that turn into mechanical things, I certainly have a soft spot for the Dinobots, as I think most of us do. However, I wonder why more TFs that turn into critters don't follow the same pattern where the beast legs are engineered to hide away or tuck away into the robot mode allowing for the beast mode to have full articulation. Most beast modes are pretty limited or just plain statues. The Dinobots are one of the few examples where the beast modes enjoy a fair bit of articulation going back to the G1 toys and improving over the years as techniques and engineering have advanced. TFs with beast alts would have far more playability if they had more pose-ability engineered into them. Just a recurring thought that's bugged me for years.

3. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    The G1 Dinobots are mechanical, though. As are the Monsterbots, Terrorcons, and G1 Predacons. It’s the Beast Wars characters that deviated with the whole “organic alt mode” thing.

4. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Pretty Fly, For A Bi Guy

YouTube (Legacy):
    And even then they went back to mechanical beasts with Transmetals.

• Like Like x 1
  5. M'Kyuun

Whether the beast mode is mechanical or organic is immaterial to my point; they should all, like the Dinobots, enjoy engineering which provides for a minimum standard of articulation (at least hips, shoulders and ankles) so that the beast mode can be posed. They've gotten better with some, but the majority are still pretty statuesque in beast mode which erodes the playability of that mode. Perhaps I'm the only one who wants to pose his beastial figs, but ever since my disappointment with the majority of my G1 figs, I've been a bit obsessive about articulation. With today's tech and engineering knowhow, it just seems that extending that engineering to improve beast modes would be a natural progression. Sculpting has certainly come a long way; I'll give them that, but it'd be nice to be able to move the legs into different positions, as well as maybe neck articulation as well, especially for predators. Am I asking for too much, or are we being shorted when it comes to beast modes? Or are you guys content with the status quo?

6. Banannixx

Banannixx The Banana Man

Well, it depends. Rhinox is my favorite Maximal, but he's likely fated to be a brick simply because of the way he transforms. It's a tad excessive to demand a neck when his whole beast head splits at the jawline and both pieces have to lock into place. Could they make a swivel? Maybe. But I'd rather have Rhinox at Voyager price point than a downsized Leader.

His T30 figure is still leagues better than the Kingdom offering, both in terms of the accuracy of his weapons and both modes (despite that being Kingdom's whole conceit with the beast wars cast), and he still scales well with the others. I have both Rattraps because I feel that the T30 scales better in bot mode, while the KD one is better in rat mode.

While I understand the want to display beast modes -especially with the impressive BW figures that KD and Legacy offer, but I personally value bot mode overall, since that's how I display them.

7. Roverlord

Roverlord Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So Earthspark gave Nova Storm Thundercracker's sound powers? In addition to replacing Thundercracker with her in Starscream's trio.

If you want the third seeker to be basically Thundercracker, why not just have a female Thundercracker?

8. Banannixx

Banannixx The Banana Man

I think it was a Hasbro mandate.

They were originally going to use TC, presumably even a female one, but the toy company upstairs said no.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BethCyra

BethCyra I NEED MP BiG CONVOY (Rumored)

And this wouldn’t be the first time they approved a Female Skywarp, where as I think Thundercracker has always been a male in every continuity and with Skywarp/Nova/Acid/Slipstream they didn’t feel the need to have anymore ladies in the crew and kept Screamer and Cracker as the male seekers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Banannixx

Banannixx The Banana Man

Again, I'm not the biggest fan of gender swapping.

But I also really don't like that Slipstream is the only hard-coded girl seeker, like she's the Smurfette of the fliers. It comes off as rather token in this day and age.

• Like Like x 2
  11. BethCyra

BethCyra I NEED MP BiG CONVOY (Rumored)

I understand that but at this point Skywarp has been a female in multiple so at least for this character it makes sense.

I would like more hard coded gals as well, but Skywarp for most of their existence was just left out of major media, so I’m good with them trying all types of new things regardless of their gender.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, maybe it's down to an autism diagnosis I'm not aware of, but I've never been a fan of male characters being changed into female. I just don't see the point when it comes to robotic aliens, especially when a lot of the time it appears to stem from this weird complex some fans / creators have that dictates 'having a mostly male (or male 'coded') cast is bad / a flaw and needs to be fixed'.

Because I've exposed myself to a diverse palette of fictional settings, I've become used to mostly male and mostly female casts and as a result don't see it as abnormal when a cast leans one way or the other... especially when we're talking about a still very heavily boy-focused toyline.

Obviously there's nothing stopping girls from getting into the IP (they've been doing so since before I was born, even) but demographics exist for a reason.

Earthspark Skywarp is boring because she's literally just .... Slipstream (or rather.. Nova Storm from Cyberverse, who was also a nothing character) but not, whereas a more typical G1 Skywarp is amusing because he sharply contrasts the more reserved Thundercracker by being a loud, belligerent dumbass, for the life of me I can't remember anything distinct about the one in Earthspark.

Maybe if they make Strika male or something I'd reconsider this position.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I’m interested in Transformers with a wide spectrum of body types and voiced by humans of all genders, but nothing is really ever going to get me to see these as male and female bots. If we’re progressing as a society by expanding our ideas about gender norms, why are we pushing TFs into a binary classification?

Specific to your comments, though: regardless what precedent Hasbro has set with Skywarp, that character works poorly as “female”, if any semblance to their original bio is maintained. And otherwise, it’s just a different character with the Skywarp name.

14. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I completely understood your point, but your lead sentence states that you prefer mechanical alt modes and make an exception for the G1 Dinobots. My point is that the Dinobots have mechanical alt modes, so your comment doesn’t make much sense to me. It’s like saying “Although I generally prefer my snacks to be fruit, I have a particular fondness for apples.”

15. M'Kyuun

I think my meaning is lost in the semantics. The Dinobots are mechanical, yes, but mechanical animals, animals whose toys have articulated legs and in some cases feet, and whose more modern interpretations have neck and tail swivels as well. When I said I prefer mechanical alt modes, I should have specified my meaning in that particular case as referring to cars, trucks, cassette players, microscopes, etc; i.e. mechanical things that do not have an animal mode, be it a mechanical animal or an organic animal. I apologize for my lack of clarity. Hopefully my meaning is clearer now.

16. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I got you. I prefer vehicle alt modes, but I’m okay with beast alts as long as they’re obviously mechanical/robotic.

However, I never thought the G1 Dinobot toys were very articulated. Sludge could only move his rear legs. Most of my modern “beast alt” toys are pretty well-articulated, though.

17. Autobot N

Autobot N Wants a Legacy Sunstorm

I like the IDW2 version of Pyra Magna where she's sort of the good guy Strika a lot better than the IDW1 version

• Like Like x 2
  18. Roverlord

News Credits:
    Why are you associating that with autism? Genuine question.

That sounds like the idea companies have that anything that isn't actively aimed at girls is for boys, and that boys don't want stories with women in them or toys of female characters...

19. Autobot N

Autobot N Wants a Legacy Sunstorm

I mean I obviously can’t speak for everyone but when I was a kid I wanted nothing to do with girl transformers, only dudes. I imagine that’s not a super unpopular mindset amongst young boys

20. Roverlord

News Credits:
    Or maybe children don't think about gender all the time. At least if they aren't surrounded by misogyny. I liked TFP Arcee when i was 11.

It also seems to be just the adult fans who think female transformers' existence needs to be "explained" or "justified", children propably don't pay any mind and just accept the concept.