Random Transformers Thoughts

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Venixion, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Roverlord

Roverlord Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If i end up making a fanfic or a fan comic out of this idea, what do you think the title should be? "Transformers: (something)", but what (something)?

2. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Well-Known Member

Maybe Transformers: Perspectives? But, I'd always like more content on the subject.

3. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    It's kinda cathartic that the last line Bob Budiansky wrote for Transformers is Roadhandler telling a fan: "You don't need me. You never did. Don't go looking for heroes to believe in... believe in yourselves."

• Like Like x 12
  4. Pencilerobo

Pencilerobo Well-Known Member

Outside of tropes, there may be evolutionary / social / adaptive motives for it as well. Even in nature some of the smallest creatures pack some serious punch due to venom or toxins.

And as you mentioned, it's essential for storytelling purposes that not every character be flattened in terms of skill / wits / strength. Otherwise, despite how much I enjoy the stupidity, you end up with Fast & The Furious where ever car goes just as fast, in forward or reverse ignoring weight and passengers. :p 

I was just reflecting on why The Great Silence hits hard, and I think part of it is because Corbucci doesn't do anything to make the villain Tigrero anything more than a bastard. Unlike modern bad guys he's not in the least charismatic. So when you get to the end of the movie you're just - bummed out.

There's room for all sorts of character archetypes, and they're all important for telling interesting stories.

• Like Like x 2
  5. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think waspinators transmetal look is very underrated and obviously while not as iconic, would love for some form of fiction to portray him looking like that, maybe after having to be rebuilt/reformatted

also after rewatching some of TFA shorts agin, it really is a shame we never got the core 5 cons as an actual team outside of the 5 min in the pilot. they would have been a dangerous/fun group

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'll just use this an excuse to repost this scene;

• Like Like x 3
  7. TapeDeck

Maybe find some way to take Transmetal and make a TransTech. Maybe a jet, though he had been a motorcycle. And, there's always Wasp from Animated, who is a car.

8. CygnusJaklynn

CygnusJaklynn Member

Twitter:
    A few memes that I made
    tf-meme1.jpg tf-meme2.png

• Like Like x 5
  9. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    A bit long for a random thought, but I was thinking about the Cybertron scenes in the Bumblebee movie and how they add basically nothing to the characters or the narrative, and started brainstorming a new opening scene that retained the G1 fanservice while actually adding stakes to the film. The result is basically an entirely different movie.

Instead of opening on Cyberton, we open on an alien planet that looks very much like our own - it has highways, cities, houses, etc. just with a futuristic/alien aesthetic, similar enough to evoke modern Earth but also recognizably not. We'll say it's Nebulos, and as we pan over the establishing shot, a series of explosions erupt in the city. We then see something a little like the Mission City battle in the first film, where Optimus Prime and his team of Autobots are battling Megatron and the Decepticons, wreaking havoc across the Nebulan city. It's established that Megatron and his Decepticons are here to drain Nebulos of its resources, and they have nearly succeeded - the entire civilization is in disarray and the planet is essentially dead. Furthermore, we learn that the Decepticons have been doing this to other worlds (much like in IDW) - infiltrating their society through deception, destabilizing it to the point of near-collapse, and then harvesting the resources for energy (or energon).

Some massive Decepticon threat - maybe a version of Devastator, or maybe even Six Shot for the full IDW reference - appears, signaling that the Decepticons are entering the final stage of their plan: absolute destruction. When Optimus sees this, he orders the Autobots to retreat, declaring that they've lost Nebulos. The key takeaway here is that the Autobots could stay and fight the Decepticons and prevent the further deaths of the Nebulans, but it would be such a heavy risk with no reward - after all, both factions are short on energon, and the Autobots also operate through exploitation of alien worlds, albeit through more diplomatic and secretive ways. Optimus may express regret at the retreat, but he leaves Nebulos to its fate nonetheless.

For a bonus, let's say the Seekers are here as well - perhaps the Nebulans, in a last ditch effort to fight, send out some fighters against the Decepticons (and for the sake of nostalgia, let's say they're the classic tetrajet design). It becomes clear that three of the jets are not Nebulan, and they shoot down the rest. As the battle goes on, the Seekers join the destruction on the ground. One of them - Thundercracker - spots a helpless family of Nebulans, and hesitates... only to watch them be blown away by Skywarp, who chastises Thundercracker for being soft. Later, as the Autobots retreat on their Ark, Megatron watches them leave and orders Starscream and his Seekers to find the next planet to harvest (Starscream can act all sneaky and smarmy to signal his treacherous nature, and later he can say he intends to claim Earth for himself).

With this intro, we immediately have the stakes laid out for us: this is what will happen to Earth and humanity when the Decepticons arrive. We never really had clear, apocalyptic stakes in the films (DOTM aside), so showing exactly what the war of the Transformers will look like is pretty striking, especially when we then cut to normal, modern-day Earth. Furthermore, we immediately have strong characterization for at least a handful of characters, setting a course for their stories in the film(s). Most importantly, we see what will become an actual character arc for Optimus (another thing the movies never had), as he will be faced with the same choice to either leave Earth to its fate or to stay and fight, and at the end of the movie, he will choose to stay and protect humanity. It also gives humanity a good reason not to trust the Autobots once it comes out that they may intend to leave Earth to the Decepticons once they can no longer benefit from it.

As for Bumblebee, he could go through a similar arc of losing his memory after arriving on Earth and bonding with a human, much like in the movie. Maybe he gets sent after the Seekers at the beginning, and then his mission is to prevent Starscream from signaling Earth's position back to Megatron (but Starscream will later reveal that he has no intention of that, and is planning to build up a force on Earth to overthrow Megatron). When Bumblebee finds out, he brings in Optimus and whatever cast of core Autobots we want to include to stop Starscream. Ultimately, it's Bumblebee's affection for humanity that may help convince Optimus that they are worth staying and fighting for. You also get a little bit of potential for Thundercracker, who may also have a moment of conscience and refuses to turn Earth into another wasteland (that one you could even save for a future movie).

• Like Like x 7
  10. TapeDeck

Also, is that kind of like Cyberverse? Maybe, Bumblebee downloads what happened on that other planet, and they go from there as well?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Yeah, could be! I imagine there's a scene where Bumblebee gets his memories back and projects his memories of Nebulos, Charlie (or whoever) sees the destruction and the fact that the Autobots didn't try to stop it, and is horrified. This could be what causes a rift between them, as Charlie sees that, regardless of Bumblebee's character or intentions, the Autobots will not fight to protect Earth, so she leaves. Bumblebee, now possessing an attachment to humans through his experiences with Charlie, is determined not to let that happen to Earth.

For additional drama, the "Bee regains memories" scene can be paired with (or even caused by) a communication with Optimus, where Bumblebee informs him of Starscream's plan, but Optimus says that they can't afford to run into another warzone so soon, and orders him to leave Earth and regroup. Charlie hears this and this is what makes her lose trust in Bumblebee, though Bumblebee will decide to go against Prime's orders and stop Starscream.

Also, to fill in the "Starscream's plan" bit, I think there should be something unique to Earth that Starscream discovers but keeps hidden from Megatron - it could be some McGuffin like the Allspark, or some kind of Ore-13-esque super energon. I like the Allspark idea because that would allow Starscream to create an army of his own (like Megatron's plan in the first movie, seems like a good Starscream plan), but the Allspark is a bit overplayed in these stories, so maybe something less burdened-with-lore but still functionally similar.

• Like Like x 3
  12. TapeDeck

That does sound cool.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CygnusJaklynn

CygnusJaklynn Member

Twitter:
    Same energy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  14. Pencilerobo

Pencilerobo Well-Known Member

Hey man, mini-bots just doing what many of us have done - picking up side work painting homes. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  15. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

Armada Jetfire was the original Bayformer five years before Bayformers began.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  16. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So...

...10 year anniversary Commander Class Red Bird Prime next year?
    VideoScreenshot--YouTube-AngryBirdsTransformersnewCinematicTrailer-0’45”.png

• Like Like x 7
  17. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Destron Enforcer

News Credits:
    Yes.

If we're really gonna keep doing this, then every single entry in this franchise needs to get anniversary acknowledgement.

Every. Single. One.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Roverlord

Roverlord Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1/G1-inspired Megatrons and Shockwaves should transform into siege howitzers instead of handguns.

It's less weird and question-raising. And if you're going to be a gun, at least be a big gun.

• Like Like x 2
  19. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Too late for fans of RiD01, whose anniversary was 2 years ago and got not the slightest acknowledgement from Hasbro. :mad: 

• Like Like x 2
  20. CygnusJaklynn

CygnusJaklynn Member

Twitter:
    One of my favorite quotes of all time
    "I tried to gain favor from you, but nothing was ever good enough. No matter how many battles I fought, you always found fault. Then I saw how Optimus treated his men, and I realized he was a leader of integrity, unlike you..."
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8