Heavy/Scratch: Rainmaker Tetrajet WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by AlexG, Jan 17, 2014.

1. AlexG

AlexG Triple Changer

Much thanks to Stormvapor for the inspiration and great example of what can be done with this mold. Check out his custom tetrajet here. (updates on page 2&3)

This is currently a very early WIP thread, I have completed carving up the original plastic and I am just starting in on the process of adding wing joints and from there, sculpting material.

The transformation is radically different that Stormvapor's and from the original toy, as you can see in the pics. The idea was to create an alt-mode that was much more sleek and avoid the kibble that Stormvapor's version had in jet mode. However, the robot mode will be much the same. I plan on making the nosecone stow-able, to help the robot mode look a little less silly.

As I have never done any serious modelling before any suggestions on putty or techniques would be welcome. FYI I have already read the basic tutorials on sculpting.

Who can guess where the null rays came from?:wink: 

sorry, pics removed. just look at the first update for early pics.

Thanks and enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. batmanprime

batmanprime Omega-con

Ebay:
    This is fully righteous. The only suggestion I would make, since you've already said you were gonna use sculpting material, is to get your hands on a KO Robot Masters Seeker and use that head. It would complete the look a lot better. This is sick, and I can't wait to see the end result.

3. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Oh sweet!
    I love how everyone who has done this with this mold, and has done it almost totally differently! I am going to watch this thread, to see how you do things. So cool mate!
    And he's already kicking so much arse :) 

4. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh this really works nicely!

5. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    :thumb 

6. AlexG

AlexG Triple Changer

Thanks all! It's always good to hear that others are as excited about my projects as I am

I think i'll probably use the head from a robot heroes Starscream, as it is about the right size, the replacement is going to be tricky though as the original head is held on by a press fit pin.

i'm away from home at the moment but should have some good updates for you guys by monday night!

7. AlexG

AlexG Triple Changer

Update 1

I managed to scrounge up some time this weekend to work on this guy and I got his wing attachment figured out!

I wanted to make him look as cartoon accurate as possible so I devised a way to make the wings appear to be flat in robot mode and yet be curved in jet mode. It creates the need for some arm finaglin' during transformation but it's not too bad. It is also a bit fragile as of now, but hopefully I'll find a good way to strengthen it soon enough.

The mechanism allows the wing to be rotated such that what is the forward point in jet mode is the outside point in robot mode, leaving the flat bottom of the wing down and towards the chest. The mechanism also slides, in order to put the wing behind the arm in robot mode.

As of yet I only have one wing done, the other will get done sometime in the next couple days and then I can start puttying!

Thanks and enjoy!

Attached Files:

8. seanb47

seanb47 FB: SBee's Custom Creations/ IG @Sbee_75

Ebay:
    That works.Nice job.I think I would make that flat connecting hinge piece more aerodynamic in shape towards it's outer tip though.

9. AlexG

AlexG Triple Changer

yeah, that'll be part of the whole sculpting process for the alt mode

10. Stormvapor

oooooo this is getting really good, a lot more engineering than mine or Mrplasticrobot's.

11. AlexG

AlexG Triple Changer

Well hey, I figure what's the point of going to college for mechanical engineering if I can't build a tetrajet out of the worst helicopter figure ever, some epoxy, and bits of styrene? :D 

12. Stormvapor

lol I guess :) 
    great work bro

13. AlexG

AlexG Triple Changer

Ah-Ha! I bet ya'll thought I'd forgotten about this project! Well I didn't, I just got super busy with school for several months. Now that it's summer I've got some progress to post!

I've gotten a good way through the sculpting process, but there's still a long way to go before I'll be happy. As for engineering, I need to do some minor modification of the wing hinges, to strengthen and streamline them, I'm thinking I'll likely do some 3d printing.

anyways, pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this shows the little hinging nosecone that i put on to avoid the nosecone-crotch that armada starscream suffers from

so far the alt mode follows the basic shape of the tetrajets, but there's still alot of putty to add to get it as smooth as possible, hopefully i'll get the hinges modified soon and then I can finish off the sculpting and get painting!

thanks for reading!

14. Stormvapor

Sexay!

15. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Old):
    Very cool, comin along nicely! That's a hard design to pull off, and I imagine the smaller figure makes it harder to work with. What kind of sculpting material did you use on the wings & cockpit-area?

16. AlexG

AlexG Triple Changer

thanks! just wait till i'm finished ;) 

thanks, i prefer working with smaller figures. it does present more of a challenge, which just makes it all the more satisfying to pull off.
    i'm using standard yellow-gray milliput. it's relatively common and can be found at many craft stores. i would remark however, that milliput, while great for making big hunks of material, is difficult to smooth while it is still uncured, which means a significant amount of excess material and sanding is required to get a full part with good lines and edges. so far i have had to do several touch-ups with the putty to fill in spaces i didn't know were there before i started sanding. fortunately, it is pretty easy to sand/sculpt and one package is more than twice what is needed to complete this figure.

17. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

News Credits:
    I'm still loving this one. Too bad I don't have a spare one of these guys or I'd try it out. Pretty perfect mold for this.

18. AlexG

AlexG Triple Changer

thanks! this mold is a cheap way to try this and it works ok, but the boxy combiner torso makes it very difficult to get any semblance of a smooth outer skin in alt-mode. i'm currently struggling with this issue and i'm still not going to get it where i'd dreamed of it being. i'm sure there's a better base mold for this, we just haven't figured it out yet.

19. AlexG

AlexG Triple Changer