R.I.P. Slagacon 2010-2013

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Moroni Prime, Oct 30, 2013.

1. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I think you could sum up the failing as follows:

Poor management

Not enough business to sustain a multi-day con

Trying too hard to be Botcon

Taking preorders on a product that didn't exist yet

Pretty much everything that went wrong with Slagacon rests on the people running it not knowing when to cut back. Their eyes were constantly on bigger and bigger things, and they never stopped to ask if it was sustainable. However, this does validate my aversion to preordering anything. Fortunately there will be enough local comicons to fill the void. Ash in Indianapolis every other month would be one of them.

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    This is something I wanted to know as well. Never have gotten an answer.

Even if the claim is true, it doesn't undo the damage done by the fact TGping didn't deliver what he promised. The bad rep of people ordering an exclusive they never got because it was cancelled, as well as the financial fallout. You see, there are other expenses to a con than just the cost of the exclusives. They also sell them for a profit. The idea being that the profits help pay for the guests, venue, etc. Chad could have spent that money on other things for the con. The fact TGping didn't deliver put Chad in a place where he would have to refund money he no longer had. Had he delivered on the goods he promised, Chad could have sent them on to the convention attendees and all been good. I agree that maybe Chad should not have sold items he didn't have in hand, that is on him. At the same time, TGping should not have promised to deliver if he was unable to.

3. bchorean

bchorean Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    anybody else get any refunds recently? transjazz hasn't responded to any pm's recently.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    All this time later, DID we ever get an answer?

5. X Nightmare

X Nightmare Your Worst Nightmare

News Credits:
    We did get an answer from the manufacturer. He claimed he paid Slagacon back in full minus some finished pieces that they recieved. The manufacturer also claimed he had Paypal proof that money was paid back. I think he posted this in another thread in the 3rd party forum.

6. ACE STRIKER

ACE STRIKER Banned

^^This and I would add that people will never be made whole is my guess. But TGping has said he paid transjazz back and has the proof.

7. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thats some bs. could a class action lawsuit be filed or something by everyone who paid?

8. X Nightmare

X Nightmare Your Worst Nightmare

News Credits:
    Here is TGping's response in the other thread.

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    10. Keep Off-Site Drama Off This Site
    If you had a disagreement or falling out with someone on another site or in real life, if you had a deal go sour on another website or whatever. If it happened elsewhere then don't bring it here. Leave your grievances at the door.

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Can't blame them for trying. It's sad to see a Transformers convention go.

11. ACE STRIKER

ACE STRIKER Banned

So we're not allowed to discuss the reason slagacon ended in a thread that was already going on THIS site? That there is also multiple threads discussing this exact topic. And I also believe this originated on this site as well as others.

12. TRANSJAZZ

TRANSJAZZ Fighting Cancer RIP 10/31/16 Veteran

News Credits:
    Not that is anyone's business but here is why it has taken so long for me to get refunds back to people since the convention. I lost everything when the show did badly. I ended up almost being homeless and I could not buy my two boys any Christmas gifts because of the lack of money brought in by the convention. Which I was paying bills from the show which caused the two pre-mentioned issues. I have paid my four guests but still owe the hotel.

I poured all the money I could from the VZ pre-orders into the show for that year. I really tried to make a great con for the fans. That was bad judgement on my part. I went into a deal for those toys from the advice of someone else and the person who was making them was suggested by that other person as well. The "manufacturer" seemed to know what he was talking about and then all the sudden after the pre-orders where already placed he started making excuses. He changed the design midway due to not being able to make the products correctly. His computer failed or so he said. He could not do 3-d renders. And I paid him a lump sum in August I believe and he took a cruise for a week in September right after I paid him the lump sum. Yes he paid me back all the money minus production costs which was a lot. He left me high and dry holding the bag on this issue and now I have to endure financial strife because of it.

I apologize to the people still waiting on refunds but I am working and my wife got a job last week so we can make these refunds happen.

For all who attended the show in the past four years, THANK YOU! For everyone who pre-ordered a VZ set, THANK YOU and I am sorry! For everyone with an opinion about this subject that did neither and voiced it on these boards, shame on you. To the unnamed people that did not want to see Slag-A-Con succeed and could have helped it do so, shame on you as well. I find it funny how Slag-A-Con is gone after two years of no front page news on boards and now another big show with board backing stepped right into the geographic area and time slot that Slag-A-Con occupied.

13. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    IMO it sounds like you went to big to fast getting all the big name actors and maybe not looking for a reasonable priced venue granted this is just my opinion. I have been a promoter for over 6 years and have always done a good show of comics and toys with with local guest from marvel comics. Granted I am in Arkansas but I have always walked away with 2k or less but AWAYS a profit after all expenses were paid again just my opinion

14. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I could not see attending Slag-a-Con the 1st 3 years as it was over an 18 hour road trip. I did attend the 4th and final year of the show. Only problem was the damage to the show was already done. Several time last year at other show, people would tell me they would never attend Slag-A-Con because of the whole VP Toys issue or they were still waiting on their refund.
    So that was a hugh problem in my opinion. The show just had a super bad rap.

15. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    Wow I never knew that guys the one who did, he always seemed so cool, I ment him at the one convention i ever went to and he had a ton of his art and seemed so hopeful and shit. And then this happened. That's shit and TGping needs to do something about it, and even if real courts cant do anything about it civil courts would be all over that (I would think?)

and it's really sad to see this happen to a board member, and hell, any person. To lose all this money on something they poured their heart into. ANd I wish I could help you know.

16. Stratos

Stratos Well-Known Member

I apologize in advance if reviving this thread seems in appropriate is it honestly seemed like the best place to me to make this announcement...

Today we take a look at the song "Positarians of Servos". "Positarians of Servos" by Stratos is track #15 on Kaiju Kaos: The Soundtrack, Volume 2. This song is the theme for the heroic transforming robots, the Positarians, who eventually make their way to Earth and join in the conflict against the growing kaiju threat. This video features comic book artwork taken from the three issues of the Slagacon convention comic - used with permission.

https://youtu.be/NtED0g4KDxg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NtED0g4KDxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I started writing Kaiju Kaos: The Miniatures Game in 2010, I decided to pull ideas from everything I loved as a geek/nerd/child of the 80s. In addition to giant monsters, werewolves, genetic mutations gone wrong, and animated scarecrows, I wanted giant transforming robots in the mix. Knowing I'd never be able to actually afford a license with Hasbro, I looked to the fan community and 3rd Party manufacturers.

The first I went to was Slagacon... a Midwest Transformers Fan Convention that had a cast of awesome original characters that appeared in their own comic books/convention guides. Slagacon may be gone but the characters live on! Hydrophone, our first Stretch Goal, is one of those characters. The others are featured in the video above.

Find out more about this Kickstarter here -> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/992965371/kaiju-kaos-the-soundtrack-volume-2/posts/1179928