R.I.P. Slagacon 2010-2013

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Moroni Prime, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Well then I don't know what to say, when I approached him on Saturday morning about it, he acted as though he had no idea what I was talking about....

2. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A literal elephant in the room. Classic!

Outside of that being hilarious this is very sad.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    yeah at the end? I am still short 190$. no updates. So much for sticking with this.

4. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Does anyone know what the Statute of Limitations for FRAUD is in the states involved???

"A statute of limitation is the maximum time allotted after a crime that legal proceedings can be started. After the statute of limitations is up, there can be no legal ramifications for the crime. Each state has a limit on fraud and there is also a federal statue of limitations on fraud cases."

5. TRANSJAZZ

TRANSJAZZ Fighting Cancer RIP 10/31/16 Veteran

News Credits:
    It may take longer than anyone likes especially me to get everyone paid back. I am a man of my word...be patient with me...You all will be paid!

Chad

6. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Guy you quoted was correct. I would post his name and phone number I had for him back when (doubt it still works anyway), but pretty sure its against tos rules, here.

7. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

I had so much fun the year I went :)  I wanted to go again so bad, but life held me back the last few years.. :( 

Will never forget that I finally got to meet Gary Chalk that year, and had all that fun at Ryan's with the crew.. that.. and I saw a Ryan's again.. something I never expected :lol 

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The 2012 show was undeniably terrible. I don't think anybody would argue that point. But this year's show was nothing like that. It was in a large population center instead of the middle of nowhere (so there were walk-in attendees who actually, y'know, walked in), it was in an actual hotel ballroom instead of a civic center... there are almost no comparisons. Chad was learning from his mistakes and the show was improving. I can understand why you wouldn't want to go back if 2012 was your only experience with Slagacon, but I don't want anyone to get the impression that this year's show resembled last year's in any way, because it didn't.

9. BeeOtch217

BeeOtch217 Ha Ha You're a Mini-Con!

News Credits:
    Me too! What happened to the poor guy?

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    A real shame, never went to Slagacon but it pains me to hear to got ruined by the actions of one thieving piece of crap.

11. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    This.

Bottom line is that Slagacon was a fine show with a dealer room that was just as good as Charticon's this year (booth wise) and a good location, easy to get to and high traffic. The reasons why Slagacon failed are plenty, beginning with the VZ incident. However I know from personal experience that there are those that sought to have this convention fail, or at least contributed to it by no supporting it like the larger cons like BotCon and TFCon. If other collectors aren't made aware of it or given updated information on it, how are they to even have interest in coming? My podcast is young and small, but, hey, we tried to get information out there, even having Chad himself on the show. We even had a couple interviews live from the con floor broadcast on YouTube, and the general feeling evident at the con can be seen in those interviews - we were all collectors having fun.

Which brings me back to my point. Slagacon failed not just because of the VZ incident, not because Chad made some mistakes (c'mon, ONE man doing a con basically by himself is hard enough to do!), but most importantly WE FANS failed Slagacon by not supporting it, attending it, and giving it another chance. This year was as said by Ikkstakk clearly a vast improvement on previous years, and those of us who bothered to advertise the con and attend it this year saw that. One fan even rode two days on a bus to get there from El Paso, TX, and he had a blast and didn't regret the trip. It obviously wasn't enough. The con had its problems, not denying that, either, but it didn't suck, the people not showing up is what sucked. Chad has a huge weight on his shoulders now, more than I can imagine one baring all alone.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'm sorry that this had to happen. I hope karma gets the guy that screwed you ever.

13. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm part of a team working on a TF convention in the Pacific Northwest, I would like to know what contributed to Slagacons downfall beyond the exclusive problems.

It's sad to see a convention end, it's even worse knowing that someone is going to be hit hard financially as a result. Best of luck to you Chad.

14. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The name. No offense to the organizer(s), but it's probably the worst name for a convention I've ever heard.

15. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as Botcon doesn't go under I'm good.

16. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And "Charticon" is better?

17. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

Not sure I'm understanding this right. So exclusives were in the pipe line for the con, a manufacturer was paid and never produced the figures. So, why was the manufacturer not held accountable and made to refund the money paid to them that they clearly did not deserve?

18. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
  19. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  20. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits: