R.E.D bumblebee Video Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Smokeyoreo18, May 14, 2021.

1. harrisongibb

harrisongibb Well-Known Member

Absolutely, it’s very weird. I had preordered this figure awhile back but now that it’s definitively confirmed they’re all the same size, I cancelled it. I guess I’m out on this line after all.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure Marvel Legends/Star Wars Black/ Transformers RED are all made of the same soft, rubber plastic. It just isn't that becoming on a boxy robot.

But, I also don't really think scale is an issues. Being that we have some G1 styled bots, a Prime bot, and beast wars, I think this line is just "Hey, you like this character? Here is a fun figure to display and fiddle with."

3. MehWave

MehWave Well-Known Member

Thankfully, I never got into it. More and more, I'm convinced that some executive at Hasbro corporate forced this through, simply to ensure that the Transformers franchise had some presence in the 6-inch figure game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Neither does Prime Arcee, yet here we have another 6” figure.

Would you really put scale over a figure’s size and articulation? You lose those aspects and you missed the point of a 6” line of articulated figures.

And this is why I find the demand for scale to be detrimental to TF collecting.

5. MehWave

I don't think the RED Prime Arcee figure necessarily sells your case here. There's a Prime Arcee figure, which just got KO'd in fact, that scales better with that line's Optimus, and has plenty of articulation. Plenty have argued that that figure is a bit out of scale, but it's close enough not to matter to most. This Bumblebee is a different story entirely. It BLATANTLY makes absolutely no attempt to be in scale at all with the others in its line.

• Like Like x 3
  6. harrisongibb

Strawmen much? Yes, all the figures in this line are 6”. What does Prime Arcee prove? Is this a tautology?

Generally, collectors collect figures in a uniform line to assemble them together in a single unified display. Certainly, this is not necessarily always the case. But I’d wager that relatively accurate scaling is—- generally—- the expectation for most collectors, as evidenced by the majority opinion in this thread and elsewhere online.

Perhaps if the line were marketed differently, this misunderstanding could have been avoided altogether and the line could be appreciated by a wider range of collectors. Obviously, their intent was not for everything to be scaled with one another.

The Furai image you posted features two figures that are of different sizes: Optimus is at least 2+ heads taller than Bumblebee. I’m not sure it’s making the point you think it’s making.

• Like Like x 3
  7. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Agreed.

8. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    So... you believe that my statement that Prime Arcee wasn’t as big as Optimus yet RED Arcee is just as big as the Prime and Bumblebee figures is nullified because a KO from another line scales with another line’s Optimus?

• Like Like x 2
  9. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    The figures aren’t to scale, and they are the same size. The accessory is a part of the figure.

Behind-the-Design: Transformers R.E.D. (Robot Enhanced Design) – Hasbro Pulse

That’s a link to what these RED figures are supposed to be:
    Screen accurate, articulated figures for display.
    Which is what these figures are, so they seem to be marketed accurately.

10. GrimCharr

GrimCharr SciFi Geezer

Ah, all this back and forth of scale reopens old wounds with G1 fans. I wouldn't go so far as to say "scale is irrelevant." Well, not at all. There is something to be said for a bit of a curated collection, where things show at least some kind of relative scale. I notice every modern reboot makes a sort-of nod to scale where you can almost see it if you close one eye. The strangest thing about this scale is that you have two popular characters in Prime and Bumblebee, which are often seen together, and presumably would be displayed together, out of scale to one another. Of course in completely realistic scale, Starscream would be twice the height of Optimus Prime, etc. But we're used to seeing Starscream, say, a head shorter than Prime. But Prime and Bumblebee that same height just crunches the gears in your head as looking obviously wrong. So, no, you're not really going to display these next to one another. YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MehWave

Nope. My point was that the transforming Prime Arcee (the KO was the same size) at least made an attempt at being in scale with Optimus, while keeping articulation and transformation. This Bumblebee and this line doesn't even attempt it.

12. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Because that’s not the purpose of this line.

• Like Like x 1
  13. harrisongibb

This, too, is a strawman. There is no Transformers line specifically marketed as “in scale”. It is generally expected. If the characters are as out of scale as this line (particularly Optimus Prime and Bumblebee), it is an exception. A clear explanation of scale prior to the line’s release would have tempered expectations at the very least. That did not happen.

Regardless, that the line is out of scale is self evident. Providing an explanation after the fact as to why wouldn’t prove anything not already evident by the figures themselves.

I see no other point to you digging in your heels on this than to be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. It’s certainly possible to be ok with scale discrepancies, I think that’s more than fine. But that was not the expectation here and the majority reaction is clear.

We can agree to disagree.

• Like Like x 3
  14. MehWave

Clearly. My question is what IS the purpose of this line? Because whatever it is doesn't seem to be in line with the expectations of most collectors. It's fine to be a niche product, but I think most of us are wondering what that niche is?

• Like Like x 3
  15. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I already posted a link to their explanation behind this line:

To provide a line of figures with an intended level of clean visual accuracy and articulation unencumbered by the conversion considerations for display.

16. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Well, you can either pay attention to their marketing or proceed with false expectations and get mad because Hasbro didn’t make what they never promised to make.

The choice is yours.

This story I linked to was on the front page quite some time ago.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MehWave

You, sir, no doubt have a check coming from Hasbro!
    Yes, I think we all understand what aesthetic they were going for here. The question *again* that I think most of us have here is what niche market or customer they were trying to reach. Because I think most fans are looking for at least some attempt at scale.
    Bottom line, I don't think this line is being widely embraced, for the aforementioned reasons. But hey, if you like it, it's your money.

• Like Like x 3
  18. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    I think the main problem with "scale" is that there isn't any attempt to show even an approximation of it. Why not make some figures slightly smaller to acknowledge their smaller size, just like they do with most other TF lines? Even the Takara Tomy "Mega PVC" line managed that. Scale was still all over the place, but there was at least some variance in which characters were "big" or not. If Hasbro wanted to go "Actionmaster" route (which I really think they should have), then it would have hit the nostalgia buttons with many fans for little or no extra effort or cost (providing they included transforming accessories and weapons, when appropriate). These accessories could then be used by existing TF figures, so it's win-win.

However, Hasbro simply made a sub-par line of non-transforming TFs, which collectors of "regular" action figures, PVC TF figures, Actionmaster TFs and fully transforming TFs all seem to have mainly avoided.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  19. MehWave

To top it all off, RED is such a departure from the rest of Hasbro's 6-inch strategy - high quality materials, detailed sculpting and paint, and SCALE - that it's hard to understand what the argument was for this line to add to that enterprise. Hasbro doesn't just crank out vanity projects; the execs want a business plan showing what market this is going to make money from, and I just can't see what that market is.

• Like Like x 3
  20. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    So apparently someone wanted these. I myself am glad they aren’t to scale, and would be all over some of these if not for the plastic they use.

People would still bitch about scale. This way they are all the same size.
    And face it: to make Arcee, Bumblebee, and Cheetor to scale with Op and Megs, whatever quality there is would be lost by making them smaller.

Consistent size, consistent articulation.

Last edited: May 16, 2021