Quitting is So Hard sometimes!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UltimusPrime, Nov 26, 2012.

1. GrandmasAJunkie

GrandmasAJunkie Banned

I have been trying to quit since 1984... havent succeeded yet

2. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    I would buy those but I already own all of the Hasbro and Takara versions of each. I am really at a point where I have everything I want and little coming out I have interest in.

Ask any smoker it is impossible to just go "Cold Turkey" I feel like I am easing myself off of toys in the same way.

3. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Twitch and Twitter Personality: PopDotEXE

How quitting Transformers works:

Step 1) You alert your favorite Transformers community, that you are quitting said franchise, for reasons.

Step 2 Begin selling each and every one of your Transformers, as each and every one begins to make you feel disgusted in yourself.

Step 3) In the middle of shipping off one of the most lackluster Transformer, you decide "I"m going to try Transforming this little turdling..." and thus Transform it. It is now your favorite Transformer, and suddenly you are back in the community raving about what you once was a turdling.

Step 4) You have now maxed out your credit card on pre-orders of things you don't even want because suddenly you feel briskly nostalgic by the most inaccurate of 3rd party items, because it almost slightly resembles that Transformer you liked when you where ten.

Step 5) Your bill comes in. You are proceeding to follow Step 1 again. Good for you.

4. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I'm not quitting (yet anyway) but even trying to scale back is hard. I was trying to be a completist on the Prime line but that went out the window when some characters (show or otherwise) ended up being a Takara exclusive. Also went ahead and sold of 99% of my movie Toys. This point on, I'm going to concentrate on Classics/Gen, larger encores, and just the few Primes toys I like and think of the money Im going to save during TF4.

5. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    So far the Masterpieces have me salivating.

Really excited as we are getting 10 Masterpieces in a year period between Hasbro and Takara.

As far as Beast Hunters I have picked up Lazerback. Have yet to open him. He really is giving off a Ronald McDonald feel as far as Color Scheme. Bumblebee , Wheeljack and Soundwave look great in person. Still putting off buying them. But they are starting to vibe with me a little.

Hoping the show quality does not suffer with being handed off to a new Animation studio and storyline (character changes).

So far the first month of 2013 was a interesting month as I only picked up Lazerback BH , MP12 Sideswipe , MP10 Optimus Prime , Prime Skyquake Voyager and Jazz Universe Legends for $192 total.

I am proud I managed to purchase what I wanted this month and look forward to February.

Next month I plan on buying MP14 Soundwave , MP13 Red Alert , MP11 Starscream , FOC Grimlock , FOC Blaster , FOC Autobot Data Discs, BH Smokescreen , BH Optimus , BH Predaking Voyagers , Apex Armour and Skyclaw Cyberverse Vehicles.

6. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I feel almost like a weight has been taken off my shoulders with the new MP line. I look at 3P stuff now, and while I like the designs, I have absolutely no desire to purchase them. I think that's a huge step for me in aiming my collection exactly where I want it to go...encore and MP solely.

I've been trying to compile stuff to sell as well, and while I've only made it through a bin or two, the piles of stuff I didn't even realize I had anymore adds up very quickly. Stuff that I'm feeling the same way about 3P toys...they looked cool and I still like them, yet have no desire to own them anymore.

For me personally, it's not a money issue. Sure, the decreased spending really helps out with other things, but the increased space and focus of my collection is what I desire more. So I don't think I'm following Dzko's 5 step quitting plan because I don't want to quit. I want to refine.

So I think the new MP line is really helping me to get there. It's gonna be a long process but the end goal is something I know I really want now. Every time I get that feeling of weakness I'm just going to pick up my MP-13 and let him tell me what to do.

"Soundwave superior."

Yes he is. Yes he freaking is.

7. Bossguy

Bossguy Banned

I thought you quit.

8. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

I been trying to quit since I started last year

9. Drake915

Drake915 Autobot Scout

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I ended up quitting unintentionally. Other things became more important recently and I realized that TF's don't bring me the happiness they once did. My last purchase will be my Fort Max I've been after since I was a kid and then I might sporadically pick up a neat one here or there. I really don't know though cause I like the FOC Starscream, but I can't bring myself to buy him anytime I see him out. The 3rd party ones are interesting, but too damn expensive for my taste. Just means there's more for everybody else though in reality lol.

10. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    oh my god this thread is funny you all sound like drug addicts :lol  but can fully relate i'm relatively new to collecting transformers but not collecting as i collect vinyl ( records ) and have accumulated thousands over the years and sold a lot as well ! my tf addiction has really only just fully taken hold where i actually think about them all the time and spending more money than i can afford ( and i'm still buying records too which can be up to £60 or more each ) i can see this year getting me into real debt

11. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Ive cut back thanks to beast hunters lol

12. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    I feel like I am addicted to plastic crack. Before Transformers I collected Rare Japanese Video games. In the 90's I collected Comic Toys Batman , Spiderman and Xmen and Movie toys Jurassic Park and POTF Star Wars. And as a 80's child Masters Of The Universe / Star Wars / TMNT and Transformers.

All different forms of plastic. Just different Junk I am addicted to.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is my hobby. My main regret is I moved on as a kid, but the past is the past. When I got back into Transformers in 1999, I narrowed it xown from the many other brands I grew up with. I made careful choices then that still resonate in my toy hobby today (I still rarely buy non-TF toys mainly for resource reasons).

I'm at the point to where my hobby is shifting gears a bit again. I have found myself frustrated with moat of what's been offered at retail since DotM and how it's been offered. 3rd party toys are great for the independently wealthy (which I am not). The direction of Masterpiece by TakaraTomy is what I've wanted. If not for that, I'd be out on new stuff completely.

When I've seen Beast Hunters on the shelf, I knew it wasn't for me. I'm certainly not saying I'll never get anything at retail ever again. I am saying that I'm making decisions to cut back. I've frequented retails stores less this month than I have in years. All these are conscious decisions and they reflect my intentions.

14. deathsheadII

News Credits:
    yep all plastic crack at the end of the day lol

15. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

I honestly quit two or three years ago - In fact, I'm selling the rest of it, now.

But, I recently bought a Masterpiece Thundercracker. Realizing I didn't like his deco, he was returned within a week. I thought, "Sweet! If this is how they're all gonna be, there won't be any temptation!"

Then I saw the announcement of the Datsun bros. Then I saw pics of Sideswipe and Soundwave in the Supah Cleah thread. Then I saw Starscream, then saw tapes are coming. And now, I'm considering buying MP-10.

So, I guess the point is that quitting CAN happen; just don't visit fansites if you wanna avoid getting sucked back in :D 

Have fun, all!

16. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

I've cut back considerably.

My last purchase was Cyberverse Breakdown.

That was back in the summer of 2012.

The only figures out right now I like are:

FOC Kickback
    FOC Starscream

As of now I'm more focused on Nick Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

It is rather natural to go through phases in any hobby really.

Transformer wise I am in a dry spell due to other interests (mentioned above).

Not so much quitting as taking a break (in a sense regaining focus or perspective).

17. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    Oh boy..the moment I want to stop buying a 3rd Party figure comes out of nowhere...

I've now pretty much put this hobby now in that area of the fact I'll never quit....Transformers might be easy but when you count in the anime and star trek and sci-fi stuff and comics....gah I can never get out of it.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    my bro!

19. deathsheadII

News Credits:
  20. jbot

jbot Disciple of A3

News Credits:
    And then 2013 happened... :eek: