Quintessa and what might have been

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Mike Smith, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Mike Smith

Mike Smith Well-Known Member

For those of you who actually enjoyed the live action films, I wanted to share a thought with all of you about the continuity of the movieverse plot. This is taken from an article that I am currently working on for my blog, which has not been published. Like many fans, I enjoyed the live action franchise, despite there being questions that were left unanswered at the ending of Transformers The last Knight. One of the most divisive of these is in regards to Quintessa, who she is, and where she comes from. After all, we learned from Optimus Prime in the first live action film that the AllSpark created worlds, and filled them with life, and that was how the Transformers race was born. If that is correct, then someone intelligent was responsible for the creation of the AllSpark. That someone is most likely Quintessa. According to an interview with Lorenza Di Bonaventura (Transformers The Last Knight Credits Scene Explained) Quintessa is was at some point human, but if that's true then what is she now?

To answer that we have to look at the intro to Transformers Age of Extinction, where we are introduced to an armada of alien vessels entering the atmosphere of prehistoric Earth. Here we see them deploying objects which hover above the ground, and are then detonated, turning organic material into molten metal. We also are given a glimpse of these aliens onboard their ship, who are clearly biological entities, with mechanical enhancements. We later learn that these devices Cyber form entire worlds, and the Living Metal is harvested and returned to Cybertron where it used for among other things, to build the Transformers race. Arcam's Razor dictates that the most reasonable explanation is the correct one, and operating on that theory we can presume that the race of creators visited worlds which were uninhabited by sentient life, and Cyber formed them. I suggest this because in Transformers Revenge of the Fallen we learn that the Thirteen Primes set out to find uninhabited worlds on which to build Star Harvesters. These devices would detonate a local star, capturing it's plasma and converting it into raw Energon. Doing so was the only way in which they could recharge the AllSpark once it was drained.

So unlike the Transformers themselves which rely on liquid Energon which has been processed from the ore, the AllSpark as Ratchet claims in Transformers contains raw power, which cannot be controlled by any Transformer themselves. It leads us to consider then that the Creators used the Thirteen Primes to harvest power for the AllSpark, and set them over the race of Transformers, who were most likely used as laborers to do the creators bidding. The only element that is left in question then is Quintessa, and it is clear from the interview with Lorenzo Di Bonaventura that they have already established a backstory for her. Based on his statement, we can gather that Quintessa was originally a human being from Earth. We can also presume that she most likely survived a Cyber forming mission by the alien race, who captured her and returned her to Cybertron. There she was studied, and somehow integrated with their own technology, turning her into a life form unlike anything that was previously known. This transformation gave Quintessa abilities and knowledge that no human would have been capable of having, and thus made her an asset to their race. Quintessa would have eventually learned of Unicron's existence, and known that in the future that she could not defeat the creators alone.

Thus she created for them a race of laborers using the AllSpark, with the intention of having them destroy both the creators and Unicron in the future, leaving only Quintessa to rule over Cybertron. The eventual rise to power of Megatron, and his rebellion of the creators was most likely an uncalculated event for Quintessa, but one that she allowed in order to fulfill her own purpose. Like the Fallen and Vector Prime, Quintessa appears to have the ability to teleport herself through the fabric of time and space, if only over short distances. We could then surmise that she hid herself within Cybertron during the war, most likely surrounded by Autobot guardian knights who were oblivious to her intent. Those who were escaped before she could kill them. The war ended as the AllSpark was launched into space, and without it Quintessa did not have the power to restore Cybertron on her own, leading to the events in each film.

The movieverse plot involved Megatron and Sentinel Prime recovering the AllSpark, and using the Star Harvester to recharge it's power. They would have then used the AllSpark to revive Sentinel Prime in order to teleport Cybertron to Earth, allowing Quintessa to kill Unicron once and for all. Had Transformers 6 been written, we may very well have seen Unicron's power harnessed by Quintessa to complete her original goals. This summary has taken me nine years to complete, believe it or not, as I spent hundreds of hours doing research on this subject. I hope that it provides a takeaway for all of the movie verse fans, as well as presenting a closer look at things for those who were critical of the live action films. As for me, I still hope that they continue with this franchise, rather than abandon it. The live action films have made nearly five billion dollars in the box office, and all of the live action films have made Paramount a profit of at least $300,000,000 or more in box office sales alone. So the possibilities are there, if Hasbro and Paramount will choose to do it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  2. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Congratulations for your effort. You managed to bring all the pieces together. I have to say I had different theories about certain things but I very much enjoy yours as well. It would be nice if the writers put as much thought in these movies as you did in your theory!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike Smith

Thanks bro. If you want to read the final article here's a link to it! Quintessa: The Key of Cybertron

4. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Not a bad way to put the movies together.

Someone once said in these forums that the allspark was created by different races, including the creators, and the primes to defeat Unicron. It was an idea that never was translated into the films.

Personally I like that idea. And also the idea that Quintessa is a movie version of Quintus Prime. A prime who was possessed by unicron.
    Optimus would later use the a chard of cybertron to wake up Primus and from there he meets the rest of the primes who all work together to release Quintessas mind from Unicron and plot a plan to end Unicron for good.
    But not that fake Unicron we saw in the film. An actual planet headed towards cybertron or earth.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mike Smith

She isn't a Prime, that much we know. She is some sort of hybrid, and as Di Bonaventura stated, the creator of the Transformers. She also is not possessed by Unicron, because if she were she would not be trying to kill him. I think that what they were going for was a realistic interpretation of the previous continuity, and for all intents and purposes they succeeded. TLK cost $217,000,000 to produce, and took in $602,000,000+ worldwide, but only $130,000,000 domestically, which is why TF6 was cancelled. Hopefully at some point they will pick up the story, if only in book form.

6. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Ignoring Lorenzo's statement about Quintessa being human (which technically isn't canon since it's not explained in the movie), I like to think that Quintessa is the alien hand we saw in AOE. I mean, we see Quintessa as a human at the end of TLK. Who's to say she didn't have a different organic alternate mode in the past?

Or here's an even wilder thought...what if that alien in AOE is Quintessa's true form? What if she's an organic shapeshifter, and the Cybertronian-looking form in TLK is a disguise? Maybe she disguised herself as a Transformer to help brainwash Optimus? I think that's a really cool theory.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I don't believe what Di bonaventura says anymore. And throw in the fact that Bay's continuity has been abandoned, we're opened to our own interpretations. Quintessa could have used Megatron and and others to wake up Unicron. A great deceiver as a character in TLK stated.

8. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi every copy of obakachantachi 64 is personalized

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Wow that was a great read! Totally worth the 9 year effort.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Smith

The Michael Bay continuity has not been abandoned, simply shelved. The writers already had an outline for TF6. As for Quintessa, if you pay close attention to her head, you can see both the Autobot and Decepticon symbols there, which was done to emphasize her role as the Transformers creator. So what Di Bonaventura said is true, whether it is accepted or not. Consider this: Paramount invested $217,000,000 into TLK, making it the most expensive Transformers movie to date. They lost $100,000,000 domestically on this film, which is why the sixth installment was cancelled. Though TLK is considered a box office failure, it made nearly five times at the box office what Transformers Bumblebee did, which is the lowest grossing film in the franchise. There is a whole hour of footage in TLK that the public has not seen that was cut. A lot of folks bash Michael Bay, but his work speaks for itself. He actually intended to turn down TLK, however Peter Cullen convinced him to Direct it.

It is unfortunately a very similar scenario to what Lucasfilm has experienced with fan backlash to Star Wars. In 1999 there were fans who lashed out at George Lucas for his creative decisions on TPM, without even considering why his decisions were made, and what role they played in the larger narrative. Likewise, fans have bashed the Disney-era films as well, not accepting them as canon, and complaining about one thing or another. It seems as if there are too many fans who are self appointed experts that think that if something isn't the way they think it should be, then it's wrong. Those same fans were part of the motivation in George Lucas' decision to sell Lucasfilm, and could very well play a role in why we didn't see TF6. Fifteen years ago when this stuff was in the design stages, we didn't have a live action Transformers film series to enjoy, and now that we've got them people cannot just enjoy them for what they are.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Well, you're right about that.

I think it's more along the lines of fans no longer just accepting whatever bullshit is shoveled to them without question.

I mean, if your best excuse for the Bay movies is to compare them to the Prequels and Sequels of Star Wars, then that should stand out as evidence enough of their quality, or lack thereof.

I mean, the fans are the ones who made the franchises popular to begin with. They've analyzed, examined, and absorbed these works for decades. If anyone are experts on these properties, it would be the fans.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

I always liked the idea that the Quintessons operated that way, that their mechanical bodies were just protective shells for their organic forms (Cyberverse nods toward this idea with the Scientist, who's true form was a small creature that controlled his mechanical bodies remotely). Being that she's based on them, I'd believe that her apparent mechanical form was itself a disguise.

But I don't really want to give the Bay films too much credit. I'm not sure they even considered that.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Mike Smith

First of all, your use of profanity there sounds like you're angry. If that's the case then maybe that's something that you should consider. Why be angry or use derogatory language about Transformers?

Second, I am not making an excuse, simply stating the facts as they are, and using them to make a valid point.

Third, your last statement is not correct; The fans did not make this franchise popular. Hasbro did when they bought the rights to use these characters from Takara in 1984, and then collaborated with writers at Marvel comics to develop their backstory. The popularity was a result of the cartoon released that same year as a marketing tie-in to sell the toys. The same thing was done for both G.I. Joe and He-man, among others. I will agree that there are fans like myself who are ultra passionate about Transformers, Star Wars, ext. However your response proves my point that some fans out there seem to have a sense of entitlement like this franchise belongs to them, and demand that they have it their way, because anything else is wrong. If you feel that way, then why not find something else to enjoy, rather than bring a negative attitude to a group like this?

• Like Like x 3
  13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I never noticed the two factions insignias on Quintessas head. I'll check them out later.

I can understand your high regard for the films. Personally I've enjoyed many aspects of the films mainly the cgi, action, most characters, sounds and cinematography. But never as a whole. TF1 came really close.

I don't want to bring up box office numbers because this thread will end up closing. Bumblebee was more enjoyable than any of the five Bay films. And I'm not big on that G1 scene. But it worked.
    There is not one scene out of the 5 Bay films that showed us Optimus' origins.

So that hour that was cut could have easily replaced useless scenes like the mini dinobots or others. But they chose to go a different direction. You may like how TF5 teased the creators only to be "shelved" in TLK. Just how the bigger dinobot scenes that were promised was also "shelved". I however didn't. And that's just one of the many things I saw as a flaw.

Fifteen years ago the films were not that bad. But different priorities were decided as the films changed after TF3.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

I always find it hilarious when this gets thrown at people who are vocal about why the majority of fans hate the bay films.

Because every single time, it's always that if people don't like the movies, then they have to be one of those darn dirty G1ers who only want rehashes of the original series. It is completely unthinkable that maybe, just maybe, something that isn't movie based doesn't have to be G1 based either, and that people simply want something actually well written and produced?

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mike Smith

I do not bash anyone for liking something else, however I also do not agree with the type of comments and language that appear to state that the films are bad, "I'm right, you're wrong", ext. That simply demonstrates a level of immaturity on the part of the writer. I have served as a contributing columnist in the past to a science fiction website, and one key aspect that I learned early on was that I didn't know it all, and that I needed to be open to consider different points of view on a project. It is how films like Transformers get made. Are they going to make everyone happy? of course not, because as I previously stated in an earlier post, there are fans who think they are entitled to have something a certain way, and if it's anything else then it's wrong from their point of view, which is extremely childish to be honest.

When the story groups begin work on these films, they look at where the franchise has been, and where it could be, and what elements work best to convey the story they develop. Hundreds if not thousands of revisions are often made as everyone from the director to illustrators make notes, requests, and suggestions. Sometimes something cannot be done due to practical reasons like location availability, and other times it's due to budget or time constraints. I'm certain if the hour of cut footage was ever released as a Director's cut that it would win people over, however there will always be critics who find something to complain about. To say that this film was not well written and produced is your opinion, and not a fact. Unless you have been involved with any element that you are complaining about, then you just do not have any idea what it takes to make a movie.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

...it was flat out admitted that TLK's "Script" was nothing more than the scripts taken from the Writer's Room and then frankenstiened into something different by Bay and Lorenzo, who simply took what they liked the best and didn't care about much else. It completely invalidated the entire point of the Writer's Room.

Plus...the film randomly switches screen ratios during scenes. How can you even say you can't call the film "poorly produced" when the screen size itself is jumping all over the place during portions when it has no reason to? And that's just the start of the problems.
    Transformers The Last Knight Trailer Breakdown: What The Hell Is Going On Here?

• Like Like x 2
  17. cybeast

cybeast Well-Known Member

If TLK really does have cut scene, they definitely can cut the pointless submarine scene--

And I think Bumblebee's low grossing do have something to do with people's image of "Live Action TF" after TLK. At least for me, it did, which is why I didn't watch it on big screen. Watching it after it shown on HBO, I regret not watching it at big screen to support the film maker.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

You put more effort than a whole writers' room

• Like Like x 2
  19. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    So many valid points have been made but I'm afraid the conversation has gone off topic. The OP's theory is really admiring and I think he's got a really big passion about TFs which is great. I think he should work with TFI creations and others to turn his theory into stop-motion fan project!

20. Mike Smith

Thanks @Rodimal Rodimus