Quick review: HTFD Voyager Highbrow

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by megatroptimus, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And the SR-71 isn't old :lol 

2. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

As regards the bold, check out the Curtiss-Wright P2 Warkawk. Pretty close match despite the engine arrangement.

3. PropaneProphet

PropaneProphet Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a pic of him with Mindwipe, Ransack, and/or Seaspray?

4. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I've had my Highbrow figure for awhile now, and I still like him a LOT. He isn't fully stylized like the TFTM, ROTF, or DOTM figures are, and he has some touches of the Classics style of Transformers. He fits in pretty much with either display area of mine of movie, or classic and it is one of the reasons I really like him.

His bio is what I get a kick out of. He is an old, stubborn, hard-headed robot (kinda like Kup) who knows how to get out of tight situations. Sounds like he would fit right in with the Wreckers!

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I've been looking for this guy ever since he came out, and only today did I finally get to grab him because my local Target FINALLY put out his wave.

Overall, he's not Universe 2.0 Inferno level of awesome, but he comes close and gets bonus points in my book by being able to turn into a psuedo-P-38 Lightning without being absolutely awkward looking in robot mode. The only issues I can see are the engine forearms looking really strange because the propellers won't fold up parallel to the arms, the GLARINGLY obvious lack of paint apps, and the fact the cockpit assembly simply doesn't lock into place in robot mode.

However, the lack of paint apps can mostly be excused in how effective the existing paint-apps do look, and the other part is that there are LARGE portions of the figure that are completely painted (i.e. the front of his legs). There is a great amount of detail as well, which is always better than paint apps since while paint can eventually wear away, details don't. Also; the cockpit assembly, while sort of annoying, does allow for some degree of personal interpetation since the two cockpit side panels can be oriented in a number of ways. I myself like having them spread like wings when Highbrow is in a "flying" pose and then appear to be locked into his back when just standing around. Lastly, the arms are the weakest point of the figure, visually anyway, because the engine-spinning gimmick won't allow for the engines to fully fold to the side like Movie Legends Springer's propellers do. Oriented correctly, however, the engine hands can be positioned so that the elbow joint is in line with the hands and so works properly.

The good points of this figure far outweigh the bad ones at their worst, though. First off, he's a friggin' WWII twin-propeller plane that doesn't look like any decently-proportioned robot could be made out of, and yet it does through a rather simple transformation process. Articulation is plentiful, about the same as HftD Seaspray, but Highbrow sacrifices the balljointed head for considerably more stable feet. He's also quite dangerously armed for even a Movie Autobot: two banks of four missiles each tucked under the wings/hip panels (i.e. Energon Bulkhead) and TWO handheld gattling guns. This is one old guy robot whose lawn you'll WANT to stay off of.

In another line where most of the Voyagers are repaints or retools, the new molds usually end up being the stars of the show, and Highbrow is one of the best "movie" style figures yet in my opinion.

6. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just picked this guy up, finally pulled the trigger on him after passing on him a couple of times already...

For those other guys that have seen Highbrow in the box, he's quite a differetn beast out of it. He's got holsters like a cowboy! A cowboy with chainguns instead of a six-shooter! He's like the Clint Eastwood of TFs, he seriously has a ton of character. I feel Mindwipe finally has a worthy adversary, especially after reading the bio. That's another thing, the bio made me like the toy even more!

As far as the stubby arms go, at least they reach past his chest, unlike the majority of G1 TFs ZING! J/K :) 

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I just got this guy this past weekend.

I have to say that I passed on it twice before. I never could really figure out where he'd go in my collection, as either a TF goes with my few movie toys or my Classics toys.

I'm totally glad I got this bot. The few negative things for me are the lack of contrasting colors [in detail, like the typical bland gray used for metal parts], and the arms just need a little more in the forearm.

Aside from that, he's one of the biggest surprises for me this year! I love the antisymmetry of his propellers on his forearms (they can stick at an angle if the arms are "straight"). The "helmet" is sheer genius. His transform is easy, but engaging.

Also, I like the lack of faction symbols on him, as he won't be "HIGHBROW" any longer. Lugnut needs a friend to talk about how great Megatron is. :) 

8. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    Ordered this guy with RTS Lugnut. Can't wait to have my two WWII era planes sitting next to each other on the shelf.

btw, is it just me or does this guy really look like a 'twintwist'?

9. fraenhawk

fraenhawk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been so far behind on opening purchases that I just now opened this while home with a sick 3 year old for 3 days. He likes daddy's transformers but he absolutely loves this guy in plane mode. He likes it way better than DOTM Skyhammer :) 

10. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    Was dusting my TF shelf yesterday, and I ended up fiddling with Highbrow for a while! Even today, this guy is still one slick voyager. That plane mode cannot be beat!

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I didn't buy this guy cos I was hoping he'd get a nice redeco (I haaate that powder blue color, it's probably my least favorite accent color. See also: Alternators Prowl compared to Binaltech), but now it seems like he's one of the rare figures who won't end up getting another release. I might buy one on the aftermarket one day cos he still looks cool

12. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. I really hate his colors. Dat olive green, light blue, and bland grey

13. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I would've preferred it if Highbrow looked like this:
    [​IMG]

BUT, to be fair Highbrow's colors really appeal to the WWII buff in me. There are examples of P-38 Lightnings that are pretty much the same color pattern as Highbrow...the OD green and sky blue, as in this example here:
    [​IMG]

Ultimately Highbrow's colors really appeal to me. I do agree that for a toy they're a little dull but Highbrow is a war plane, and he's really painted as such.

14. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Wow, the powder blue is actually a realistic color for that plane? That doesn't make me like it any more, but it does make it more acceptable

15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It was a common color on many WWII aircraft actually. The idea for that coloration is that it helps blend in to the sky against infantry. Getting shot down by ground weapons was a realistic threat in WWII so being sky blue helped increase the survival rate of aircraft. This wasn't always adhered to however, so you still had a wide range of colors for aircraft in that era.

16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm surprised Hasbro hasn't released a retool of this with new head and wider wings. This was a surprisingly great figure.

17. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    While the plane mode is awesomeness, there's something off with robot mode

18. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree. Almost the same thing that killed incinerator. GREAT osprey mode..dumbass propellors for hands, but the fact this ones props collapse saves it some. Im really hopin to find this one. I LOVE the plane mode

19. catchup

catchup Well-Known Member

How is the "pilot" supposed to see things in front sitting in a cockpit so low?
    The plane should be made more faithful to P-38.
    And the machine guns should be put in the nose of the plane, not on wings. A gun easy to aim is what P-38 designed for.
    The hips of the robot are too wide for my taste.

20. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A great local TF buddy hooked me up with this one almost a month ago, and I have been waiting to comment on it. I was searching really hard to find this one.

Alt mode, is one of the coolest, fresh designs you will see in a long time. The plane looks like it flew right out of crimson skies. The propeller gimmick is just ok...it would have been A GREAT GIMMICK, if they didn't have the gears stop them from freely spinning, but repeated presses solves it for your minutes of swooshing him through the skies. The landing gear that takes into account the props is great. Paint apps are very good, and very reminsant of a.WWII paint scheme. Alt mode is kick ass.

Bot mode....is...INCREDIBLE. there is so many great poses this guy can pull off. The gatling guns hang on his sides like holsters, the mask and headsculpt is just utterly fantastic, with white eyes and great piping. I usually HATE TFs with props on the hands, but this one pulls it off great. They end up off to an angle and could double as shields or weapons. ARM articulation is great as well. Overall size is very nice, and he is a robust looking beast that tabs together so well in both modes. If I had a grip, it would be the back panels but I have even found a way to do them that looks even better than anything else I've seen.

Bottom line..there is a redeco coming soon. I just doubt the paintscheme will be similar. If your sitting out the TFP craze like me, then find this figure. It's htf to begin with, but its well worth the find. I have had this for a month, tf'd it more times than I can count, and its still tight and like new. Plastic quality is so superior to everything made recently when u hold it it has weight to it...

RTS HIGHBROW is now one of my all time favorite TFs. Thanks again plowking...