Quick review: HTFD Voyager Highbrow

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by megatroptimus, Aug 9, 2010.

1. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    I'm becoming more interested in this figure as of late... but I still have a hard time not focusing on the huge hips. They really do look disproportionate to the rest of his body. If he were walking down the street in front of me I'd probably have to holler "Hey! You should get a porch to go with that swing?" :lol 

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I seen this toy in person tonight, and I found him to be really really ugly. I haven't found anything new in my area for quite a while so I was chomping at the bit for something new and I saw Highbrow. I got all excited at first because I was really looking forward to im. But I picked up his box and thought "Damn! This thing is ugly". I may pick one up down the road if I find a few shelfwarming, but I just couldn't tonight. His face looks ugly and I know the green/baby blue paint scheme is retro to the time period he is supposed to be from but it still doesn't matter. I give the cosmetics on this thing 2 stars out of 10.

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Got one for sale if anyone wants it. MISB

4. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've transformed mine at least twice a day since I found it. Can't get enought of both modes.
    Sure, the aesthetics aren't for everyone, but for those of us that like the steam-punk retro look, this is pure win.
    Personally, I don't think the figure has any glaring flaws at all. The only thing I could possibly complain about is that it needed a few more paint aps, and I did that to mine myself (cockpit, rotor tips, missiles...).

5. mbm1976

mbm1976 Banned

Hello, giant Go Bot.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    Finally got ahold of one. It's not my favorite Transformer released this year but it really isn't that bad. The head scuplt seems a little off to me, but I don't know why. Usually I don't mind human-esque features but it just doesn't look right to me. The sliding down goggles are a nice feature but it's pretty silly IMO.

The trasformation is really fun, and my faorite part of this toy. All the interlocking panels are really cool and the progression with them in helping the plane mode take shape is fun to see unfold.

The only major issue I have with it are the forearms. I don't mind the propellers on them but the extra bits get in the way of having the arms being 'at rest', tey always have to be spread out to a major degree. It's not that bothersome on the standalone toy, but it makes displaying it n a shelf full of other toys troublesome.

Overall its not that I DISlike it but I'm not wowed by it like I have been by toys recently. I doubt I'd pick up a repaint of it even if it was remolded.

7. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Nice. My highbrow will be displayed like this from here on forward. Pure win man and nice pics!

8. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you twist the bicep swivel a bit, the arms can lay 'flat' against the body a bit better. It looks really good when he's holding the miniguns.

9. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Easy PASS!

10. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    This is an amazing figure. One of the most unique and fun transformations. I mean look at the plane he turns into and what parts of the robot turn into it and you can see its really innovative. Plus you can make him have propeller arms like incinerator. They added an extra joint at the elbow that isn't part of the transformation. It allows you to turn the propellers forward and after folding his fists you're ready for some blender action. Plus its fun that you can press a button and the propellers spin like incinerator's but do not get stuck.

Those of you that are passing on him because of something like colors or proportions are really missing out. Never heard of shallow transformers fans lol.

11. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

It need more wing in P-38 mode.

12. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    One part of me has to marvel at what they've accomplished with the engineering on this toy, but the other part of me has to acknowledge that the end result is a very ugly, awkward-looking robot. I'm really having a tough time finding any pose where this guy looks cool, and the biggest issues are the thighs and arms, which are both woefully stunted. I think I may actually PREFER the propellers for hands. It's a shame because there's not much wrong with his articulation. He's really just missing the wrist and waist swivels and that seems to be the standard for all TFs now anyway.

13. orionpax636

orionpax636 What the...?

News Credits:
    I'd have to echo some of this. Highbrow's alternate mode, face sculpt and aviator's mask are cool enough to make me keep this figure, but the flaws Velox laid out above really detract from what could make this guy outstanding.

Using the propellers as hands make him a good rival for Incinerator, but the whole forearm assembly is so distracting. I'd have gladly sacrificed the push-button feature to just get some properly done arms/hands. He can barely hold his gatling guns in a way that's straight or not awkward in robot mode, and they just don't look right on his hips.

That said, it's not that bad to get this guy into some decent poses, and the detail is amazing. I never would have called that there would ever be a P-38 Transformer (I'd LOVE to see a P-51 Mustang), and there are few more unique head designs. I like him, it's just that he's not the grand slam he could have been.

14. GAUGE

GAUGE Professional Digital Artist

News Credits:
    I agree, the wings look like utter Garbage, and the P-38 was one of the greatest plains of WWII, it deserves to be done proper dammit.

15. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Lockheed owns the rights to the P-38, so if Hasbro ever wants to do a "proper" version it's gonna cost em. They may have done it for the F-22 and SR-71 but I just couldn't see them taking that step for a plane that's that old.

16. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

17. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    I'm really enjoying Highbrow. Plus once you listen to WTF @ TFW # 122, you really get a good understanding why!

However, even though he has visual cues that makes you think he's a P 38, this alt mode reminds me of something out of Crimson Skies, or Blazing Angels 2.

18. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    After hearing 122 I also have much more appreciation for the figure. He kind of had this gritty "Ive been around the block a few times so shut up and get out of my face" look to him the more I mess with him. I find this very fitting to the mold.

19. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Count me in too!

I had been on the fence for some time with this guy... Wonky arms/hands and a noticeably disproportionate waist/thighs kinda turned me off. BUT, last weekend while doing some Christmas shopping I finally picked him up along with the G2ish Fallen figure (also schweet) and Banzaitron (Nice!) (Merry Christmas to me?) and was glad I did because despite his cosmetic flaws, I still really like Highbrow a lot!

20. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want one now