Questions regarding paint for customized TFs

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by seawatch, May 13, 2024.

1. seawatch

seawatch the bad user

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I’m an avid Gundam model fan and was wondering how well I could transfer my tools and talents to Transformers customizing.

I use Gundam Marker paints through an airbrush and love the results on my models. However, I’ve heard some reports that these can eat away and break down ABS as found in Transformers. Is this true?
    If so, would spraying the parts with Mr. Surfacer primer be sufficient protection before applying the Gundam Marker paint? Provided Mr. Surfacer itself is safe for ABS, of course. For the record, I know panel lining markers are a no-go. Again, specifically asking about the paint markers here.

I’d love to be able to use what I have and know how to work with instead of having to buy acrylic spray cans or a new airbrush head for non-Gundam Marker paints. Thanks for any and all help!

TL;DR: Would it be safe to paint my Transformers using Mr. Surfacer and then Gundam Marker paint?

2. Sixshot the six changer

Sixshot the six changer Aka Three Erasers

From my experience it is fine but that was on a simple cyberverse figure and not on mainline so I would wait for someone who has used some on mainline stuff.

3. Powerbomb

Powerbomb pERceptor NOT pREceptor!

I tried one on a TR Kup head/titanmaster. Shortly thereafter the titanmaster started cracking at the hips until the whole head crumbled to pieces.

4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I loathe Gundam markers. Haven't seen them used on anything bigger than a panel line without it looking like Sharpies were used.

I have started using Vallejo Mecha paints. They're insanely durable and designed specifically for robot models and toys.

• Like Like x 1
  5. seawatch

seawatch the bad user

Does anyone know if spraying parts with primer first would make it okay to use those paints on ABS?