Questions about the Shout Factory TFTM 86 BluRay / DVD

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Slave IV, Aug 7, 2016.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It's been demonstrated in the past that both versions of the film are cropped. They purposely animated a larger area than they wanted to show, specifically so that it could be cropped more than one way. The 4:3 versions are less cropped at the top and bottom, but more cropped at the sides. The widescreen versions are less cropped at the sides, but more cropped at the top and bottom.

The widescreen version is probably more cropped overall, in basic terms of area. However, the areas that are cropped out of the 16:9 versions are more full of errors and incomplete cells, while the areas cropped out of the 4:3 versions (and preserved in 16:9) are generally as "clean" as the uncropped areas. So the 16:9 versions may actually crop out less high-quality footage than the 4:3 versions do.

2. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

From the few samples I compared side by side, the widescreen is just the 4:3 with top and bottom cropped out. Any links to this demonstration of the different cropping you are talking about? Most cropping is a pan and scan type where they will selectively crop from different spots to give the final image the best framing possible. I'd be most interested in seeing an example of a widescreen shot that shows art that isn't in the 4:3.

Thanks!

Edit: found info in this here: The Transformers: The Movie (1986) 20th Anniversary DVD | Page 7 | Home Theater Forum | Blu-ray Movie Discussion, Expert Reviews & News

I'll check it out and see...

3. Ralliart209

Ralliart209 Well-Known Member

aw man, i was hoping it would be a iTunes or ultraviolet digital copy :/

4. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When Blu-ray gets all the tv shows on dvd like transformers, he-man, ducktales, darkwing duck and all the animes not on Blu-ray like case closed and the tons and tons of movies not on Blu-ray then i'll go only blu-ray. Till then I will still buy dvds and well as Blu-ray!

No way i'll go "just Blu-ray" when 99% of things are not on Blu-ray!

5. flamepanther

That's a pretty good start. Keep in mind that the "Rhino" and "Sony FS" screenshots represent the normal 4:3 presentation, while the "Sony WS" shots should be close to what we'll get on the Shout!Factory BluRay. All three of these are cropped. The Sony WS version shows a sliver of image detail beyond what either of the 4:3 versions show at the sides, especially compared to the Rhino version.

Metrodome's Reconstructed version is probably the closest we'll ever see to a completely uncropped presentation, showing even more of the top, bottom, and both sides than any other edition of the movie. However, it's pretty clear that it was never meant to be viewed that way.
    While that would be interesting to see, I don't think it's what most normal viewers should want or be forced to see.

Ironically, the same TFWiki article erroneously states that the widescreen versions only cut off the top and bottom of what's in the fullscreen versions. You can see in the Home Theater Forum screen shots that there is in fact a tiny bit more at the sides--just not as much as a lot of people expected there to be.

6. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Thanks for pointing all this out. It definitely makes the whole debate more interesting and good reason to have both versions. Based on my comparisons, some of the widescreen shots are just cut off at the top and bottom so it depends on the scene. Im sure a pan and scan method was used but the question is who and how much time/resource did they put into it given the known budgetary constraints always given to Transformers cartoons.

7. flamepanther

I definitely agree.
    It's entirely possible Sony's 16:9 rendition involved a bit of pan-and-scan at the discretion of the engineers. Or maybe there were damaged segments where they decided it was easier to crop and color adjust the FS version than to clean up the film. Either way, the actual theatrical presentation was done with a static matte placed over the projector, so that's what it would've been designed for. Hopefully the S!F release will be a bit closer to that than Sony's.

8. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer "Soundwave just sent out Randal"

I don't have a source and am actually just assuming here but I believe the digital download will be an ultraviolet code that can be redeemed to work with streaming services such as VUDU - which also allows you to download the film.

As said, this is an assumption but I feel it's a safe one since this is how most all digital downloads work with films now.

Basically, you'll redeem the code on your ultraviolet account and be able to watch it on any ultraviolet supported service.

I believe it will be. Checking the VHX link, they just seem to make the digital copy. They are not a streaming service themselves.

9. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I didn't want to start a new thread, and the search feature gave me this thread. Does anyone know what the difference is between the steelbook version and the regular Blu-Ray version? Is just a metallic cover, or does it actually come with more features?

10. Jedi Kermit

Jedi Kermit I try to save a life a day, usually it's my own...

News Credits:
    The content is the same.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Optimus4EVER

Optimus4EVER Youngling Femmebot Prime-In-Training

News Credits:
    Is there a slip cover for the dvd and/or bluray? Is there more/different bonus features/interviews on the bluray as compared to the dvd? Is there a flyer inside the disc box (dvd or bluray)?

Thanks folks!

12. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Yes, mine came with one, but it was beat up. I think there was a flyer inside the BR box, but it was the code for the digital download.

13. Optimus4EVER

Optimus4EVER Youngling Femmebot Prime-In-Training

News Credits:
    Thanks!

What is br box?

14. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

The Bluray boxed set. Sorry.

15. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    :rip  Resurrecting an old thread.

So after receiving a 4K movie player for Xmas, I got to thinking about something said in the extras. That they did their original file in 4K and down sampled it for 1080.

Think they’ll give us the 4K version in 2019?

• Like Like x 1