Questions about the masterpiece toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by hulk23869, Oct 19, 2016.

1. hulk23869

hulk23869 Well-Known Member

Hi. I'm not that knowledgeable on the toys, I'm just kind of a casual BW fan. I heard about the BW masterpiece optimus primal and cheetor. I have a few questions...

Why are they so expensive?

Around how many of them do they make?

Will they be available later on in the US at like toys r us or walmart or something under a different title, like "legends" or something like that for $20. Basically the same toy mass produced for the US??

Oh and where can I buy them from, is it just bigbadtoystore.com or do I have other options?

Thanks

2. MrAngry

MrAngry Proud to be Geek!

They're more expensive because they are a much higher end toy than what is generally released. Highly articulated and detailed, much higher quality, much closer to realistic than the regular retail toy.

They're made specifically for collectors. Generally, you don't see them at regular retail, aside from the occasional releases. They don't usually do well in those stores, due to price point. BBTS is one of many stores. Agabyss.com is my usual source. The Chosen Prime is also good.

3. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Sausage puns are the wurst

News Credits:
    Their so expensive because A. The MP line as a whole has been expensive, and B. a lot of money was put in to make each figure, quality and all that good fun stuff.

So far only two MP beasts have been made, how many they will make is unknown. It depends on how well the two current ones sell.

They may end up at TRU like some other MP figures have, but no way in Unicron's pit will they be sold for $20. $100 at least, maybe 60-80 dollars if we're lucky.

Ebay, Captured prey, the takara website, pretty much any on-line retailer who sells transformers.

4. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    #1- Because they are. Seriously though I have no idea, someone will probably come around and answer it in a more serious light though.
    #2- No one knows
    #3- Don't bet your luck or 2078 which ever comes first
    #4- Depends on where you are in the world, there are plenty of options to choose from such as TheChosenPrime, Capturedprey, Ajstoychest,etc. If your lucky enough to snag a pre-order or they somehow have extra stock, there's also the Japanese site like HLJ, amiami, and anime-export. There's also Amazon Japan who apparently ships internationally now.

5. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

There are many places you can find them at. You have BBTS (which you mentioned earlier), tfsource.com, thechosenprime.com, capturedprey.com, tf-direct.com, agesthreeandup.com, amazon, and ebay. These are the big ones. Check them out to find more MPs while you can google most of it.

Money wise, they are larger in scale and have better detailing than regular CHUGs. Third Party also makes some pretty stellar ones. Fanstoys, Mastermind Creations, and Maketoys make good stuff while KFC/X-Transbots are getting better.

6. hulk23869

Awesome thank you guys so much!
    Special thanks to the dude who suggested amazon japan, I was able to find the figures quite a bit cheaper even with the global priority shipping!!! :) ))
    To be honest, if they made masterpiece figures of all the BW characters, I would buy them all. They really do look a lot better than the BW toys I have from the old days.

7. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    Primal looks good, personally I'm iffy about Cheetor.

8. hulk23869

Robot mode could be better on cheetor, but his beast mode looks pretty accurate from the show

9. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    Two words. Faux Parts.

10. Booster Gold

Booster Gold "My overconfidence proves..."

News Credits:
    1. a) because collectors will pay it, b) because they are generally larger, more detailed, better engineered and therefore more expensive to bring to market than your average Transformer.

2. Can really say but there is a tendency to release a second run or produce a reissue of the popular ones.

3. Maybe but don't bank on it. Hasbro release some MP's in the west (under the Masterpiece name) but not all. It's pretty hit and miss and they are often quite expensive, come out quite some time after the Japanese release and sometimes feature slightly different decos, accessories or materials etc etc. In short there is no guarantee Primal or Cheetor will get a US release.

4. I think that's been covered pretty well above.

You can find out a heck of a lot more about the line and what has been released where and when here: The Transformers: Masterpiece - Transformers Wiki

11. 0kk0p3kk4

0kk0p3kk4 Well-Known Member

About mp10 shattered glass OP, and particularly his windshield crack, how is it made?
    A) Is it a sticker? A paint? Is it in the plastic mold itself?
    B) How to make that windshield uncracked?

Many thanks!

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    1. they are specifically made for the collector market and as such they have superior design, fit and finish than your typical mainline figures. They are not with out flaws as nothing man chas made, or can produce is not truly perfect.

2. I am not aware that exact production numbers have ever been made public. That said it is clear a run of an MP figure is considerably smaller than that of a typical mainline figure.

3. Some Mps have seen american retail release, Notable Optimus prime ( MP-01 and MP-10 ) the seekers Both original and new mold versions , Grimlock, Prowl and Bumblebee, and i think that is it. The rest have not some hasbro has just chosen not to and Megatron they can't due to laws regarding toy guns. That said all the Japanese MPs have reached american shores via online shops importing them for sale and folks directly importing them to save a bit of cash.

3A: you not likely ever to see an MP figure for $20 unless its busted and being sold for parts. With TRU going under the future of MP releases to retail in the US is in a holding pattern as no one knows what comes next, perhaps not even hasbro knows as of yet.

4. BBTS and other online retailers are the best sources for those MPs not released to retail in the US so long as those stores still have them in inventory. Beyond that Ebay or our own Junkion exchange is your best bet. Ones that were released to US retail...maybe you can get very very lucky at TRU going out of business sales but realistically your back to BBTS and its kind and Ebay.

13. SoundwaveSuperior

SoundwaveSuperior "The Scourge of the Sky"

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    You should probably just make a new thread for this (or post it in the Masterpiece Appreciation Thread). This isn't a general thread for MP-related questions.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    I just want Inferno. He was such an awesome character (so over the top in a show that was over the top itself).