Questions abour repurposing and what not

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by s_cren, Dec 20, 2012.

1. s_cren

s_cren Banned

So i see alot of people in the forums say the "need to have a classics figure of some name or they have to have certain version of chracter when it doesnt exist so they will put figures from other lines in as said figure. Im curious why as a whole we collectors fill the need to repurpose or "fill a spot when a lot of times in my opinion it doesnt work. I know its everyones collection they can do what they want but ir seems like with classics we just put stuff in there just to do it even it doesnt reallly work, I guess id like to know why we fill the need to do so.

2. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I hate repurposing and don't do it myself but I guess people just do it because they want a complete roster.

3. s_cren

s_cren Banned

Yeah for example, i have ROTF lockdown with my classics decepticons because its more of an official thing since he is in the comic with drift so they go together, with third parties i believe we will get all the chracters we want eventually it will just take time ,theres no need to force it i guess.

4. s_cren

s_cren Banned

aahh

5. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    I've only repurposed two figures myself, drift is on my tigatron shelf since he looks like an autobot version of tigatron to me and when he shows up prime dark emerging starscream will be my prime sky warp due to the black and purple colors

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally can't repurpose. I am too OCD.

7. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Bang Bang

I do it simply if I feel it fits better elsewhere, or if the toy is a shattered glass character in the comic

8. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I personally dislike repurposing and don't do it within my collection.

9. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Repurposing is a bit weird since if you talk about a toy you really have to use the original name so others understand who you're talking about, except in rare cases where the figure is already kinda made with two characters in mind (i.e. Shattered Glass figures that are homaging another character).

10. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

I have Cybertron Metrolpex as Metroplex in my "Classics" collection along with a select few other figures I've shoehorned in. Although I rarely do it, I like the opportunity to repurpose a character.

11. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't feel the need to do it. I think it's pointless. I'd rather have NO Shockwave figure on my classics shelf than a movie or animated Shockwave that doesn't fit in AT ALL with the rest of the stuff next to it. It just looks bad and so out of place that it annoys me more than anything.

12. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    One other one I have is the foc shockwave as a stand in for prime since he was released that way in japan. And I also use prime deadend as makeshift after being blown up, it really works best when the repurposes are in the same line they originally go with so aesthetics match

13. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

Of course it would. Any rational person would have Energon Shockwave like I do. (I know the box says Shockblast)

14. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    If there is a favorite or important character missing from the Classic-verse and there is an actual suitible replacement then I repurpose. So for example FOC Shortwave is holding down the fort as his Classic-verse self until I can figure something better. But, if there wasn't a Classic-verse Bumblebee however I would not shove Animated 'bee into my Classic-verse collection.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I don't repurpose a whole lot but I rename a lot of the toys. Don't know why, I like unique characters and names rather than a lot of reused ones.

16. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a few characters that I would like to get for repurpose reasons..just for my classics..

ROTF Lockdown
    Energon Shockblast (Right now I have FOC Shockwave)

Other than that, there are only a few here and there, and only if they really fit the look of Classics.. Right now I have Prime Bulkhead in there cause he just looks the part.. Not sure if I'll leave him or not, I know if I get the FE Bulk i'll leave the retail in but, If I don't.... IDK?

But, I don't like that people just throw just about anything in there and call it a day, it has to fit properly..

17. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    No repurposes, but molds that originated in one line that get repaints in another line get put in with the original mold's line. Case in point, Ruination is on my G1 shelf, Fracture is on my Classics shelf. Tracker Hound and Sandstorm are on my Classics Legends shelf, etc. etc. The only time I get something that would be considered repurposing is if a mold is androgenous enough stylewise to fit in multiple lines. TFP Wheeljack, HFTD Tomahawk and Seaspray, etc. etc. I often disagree with some when they aren't androgenous enough to pull double duty but the fandom insists otherwise, so far as to tell you that you're wrong for judging an aesthetic a certain way. ROTF Bludgeon is the first that comes to mind on this one.

18. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz I LIVE

News Credits:
    This

19. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

I repurpose all the time.

I rename as appropriate too. While I may have 3 Grimlock toys, I'm not going to have 3 Grimlock people. Two of those are getting renamed.

20. JacobPGalvatron

JacobPGalvatron Storm Trooper #1

I have a little thing I call my own personal Universe line. Basically it's just all my CHUG figures lumped together with a few from other lines tossed in.
    Energon Rodimus became my Rodimus Prime. Deluxe Cybertron Optimus was my only Optimus for a while.