Question: who was the second in command for the decepticons?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Revolver Turles, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Going by tech specs off the top of my head, and ignoring the skywarp/starscream swap, SS would have been rank 9, making him second in command. Megatron told everyone SS was second in command, and people listened to SS regardless of how dumb he was being.

Just because soundwave was megatron's actual "right hand man", doesn't mean he was, or needed to be second in command. Just because Shockwave was left to control cybertron, well, there wasn't much to control.

After SS was dead, megs became galvatron, cyclonus was his 2nd in command(at least that one was more obvious). Besides, this also strengthens what I posted above, because even with SS outta the way, shockwave and soundwave STILL didn't do anything resembling being second in command(was shockwave dead at that point? I don't remember).

2. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Shockwave seems to be second in command. It does depend on what media you are looking at but he was left to guard Cybertron as seemingly the most loyal and capable (outside of Megatron) to the Decepticon cause. I thought of Soundwave and Starscream as tied for third with Starscream being the better warrior but Soundwave having a mini-army to back him up and more intelligent.

3. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    i think maybe being a Cybertronian SIC is like being someone's best friend. You know you have more than one..

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yes. On Earth, it is in fact Starscream, even though Soundwave is Megs' go-to guy, SS still outranks him.

Shockhave s the end-all be-all next to Megs, though. He is the true second in command.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

in on season two episode, where they Clone Prime and Starscream and they blow up Starscreams cclones, even the autobots say something about how prime knocked off the number two decepticon. I think it was A Prime Problem.

6. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Decepticon hierarchy is a lot more sophisticated then that, there is no definitive second-in-command :thumb 

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What about Ratbat?

8. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I agree - Ratbat. He who controls the fuel, controls the war machine.

9. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

As previously stated, Shockwave and Starscream both have a rank of 9 (assuming that Starscream and Skywarp's tech specs were accidentally swapped).

Shockwave is the leader of operations on Cybertron, while Starscream is Megatron's second-in-command on Earth.

10. Raven Zombie

Raven Zombie Liege Ravnos Muerte

i personaly dont think there was ever a second in command.
    megs ruled by 'survival of the fittest' like a gang. if anyone thought they were better, they were open to apply.
    soundwave was like a secretery or advisor
    starscream was the leader of air squad (eventhough everyone can fly)
    shockwave mainly guarded the cybertron base

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I assume we're talking about the cartoon....because if we're talking comics everything's different...

As a kid I thought it was Screamer. But as I look at it now, I'd say Shockwave. He was the one Megs entrusted to watch over Cybertron while he was gone...Starscream was second in command by default on Earth when they came back online.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Yeah, obviously there are different versions of the Canon... one of the most dramatic differences being Shockwave. In the comics and TechSpecs, he was definitely second only to Megatron, in rank and in power (which in the Decepticons can often amount to the same thing), and clearly had an agenda of his own.

On the G1 cartoon though, he was a complete pushover, who pretty much got bullied by everyone, including Starscream.

Soundwave has never demonstrated any leadership in any medium (excepting his partaking in the Astrotrain brawl in the Movie)... and I believe he prefers it that way. He's smart enough to know that as long as he serves and assists whoever is in charge, his position is assured. Even his old profile suggest that he blackmails and informs in order to hold onto his role close to the leader... because everyone else hates him. I guess this could sort of make him the "power behind the throne" type, but according to the stats, Starscream and Shockwave (both 9, and yes, I subscribe to the Skywarp/Starscream swap theory) both outrank him.

Going by the ranks, I think Starscream and Shockwave are probably both considered high-ranking officers, though if push came to shove, Shockwave would trump Starscream.

Guys like Scorponok, Straxus and Ratbat exist outside the system. Ratbat became fuel auditor for Cybertron in the interrim when Megatron disappeared to Earth, so he's more like a powerful bureaucrat. Scorponok and Straxus have both been described as petty warlords, meaning they probably seized power for themselves and built their own personal power bases.

Anyone else in the G1 crowd with a claim?

zmog

13. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Cyclonus up until the japanese headmasters(by that point, everyone was equally as worthless under scorponok, except maybe six-shot, until the uncle six-shot bit...). Even then, Soundwave was still being his same old spy on everyone self, even after he got in a fight with blaster and was repainted black(the talking animal cassettes still weirds me out).

14. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    Let's just say wherever Starscream is, he is always the second in command.

15. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

Exactly !!!!!!

16. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Soundwave to Megatron is what Mr Smithers is to Mr Burns. Shockwave was capable, and efficient, but not really needed in pressing matters, so he wasn't THAT useful. Starscream had plans, made inventions, was crafty, and very dangerous. I think that Megatrons relationship with Starscream is best described with the saying "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer". Starscream was trying to become leader, there was no way he would have let any other Decepticon be second in command. Regardless of position, there is no doubt in my mind that Megatron's favorite Decepticon was Laserbeak.

17. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    I believe the second command, is Screamer. Then again I could be wrong.

18. Johnator

I totally agree! Laserbeak should get more credit for everything he(?) did. I remember Megatron telling Laserbeak that he is one of the only Decepticons that never failed him. When you think about it Laserbeak really did accomplish his missions most of the time. He was loyal to a fault and seemed pretty powerful for a cassette. He was nowhere in the rankings but I would concur that Megatron did favor Laserbeak. Probably also because Laserbeak didn't talk. :) 

19. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Except in headmasters.

And sure he favored laserbeak, doesn't mean he was in command of anything though. He just did his job, on a regular basis(accomplished his task almost every time). Even chased off what, hound and another autobot by himself in MTMTE if i rememebr right.

20. Johnator

Yeah he did. I thought that chase was pretty awesome. Just another reason why I need to get some sort of region free system and get Headmasters.