Question to legends size collectors

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by primatives, Apr 30, 2020.

1. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

That sounds like an excellent way to pass the time to me!

2. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Looks incredible!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    For me the appeal is a combination of high-quality, reasonable price, mini-Masterpiece look, and pleasant transformation. Their small size is also nice in that I can have a substantial collection that takes up a small space.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Norita man

Norita man Well-Known Member

The size is a big advantage for me comparing ti chug because you overall more forgiving for figure flaws when they are small.
    Regardless when they are good they are crazy good.
    They have less weight issues, very good g1 look and take less space which is ideal when you have other collections and hobbies.
    I ve been a transformers fan since the original g1 cartoon, but I ve only started to collect last summer. Legends class all the way and very happy.

I advise you to buy one like a new age megatron and magic square optimus and I promise you will see the appeal

• Like Like x 1
  5. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I should also add durability to this list. I moved away from Masterpiece and third-party Masterpiece style figures because I got tired of paint chips, delicate hinges, and all of the other trappings that go with hyper complex Masterpiece figures, particularly now that everything is moving towards an animated style look. Legend scale figures don't have the luxury of being that complex, so they tend to have more durable parts and less complex but elegant design choices.

I've also never been one who liked heavily painted figures. I've always preferred molded color plastic to paint because I like being able to handle my figures without worry. So the fact that NewAge and Magic Square figures are largely molded in the correct colors with only painted details and tempos makes them ideal for what I look for in a figure.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Laserpants

Laserpants Well-Known Member

If my seekers were Chug or MP, I’d have no room to live.

Newage Hodur and moldmates are highly recommended btw.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    I've been mulling this question over myself recently, wondering if its worth selling the chug collection and going all in on legends, but then I'm not sure I'd like the smaller figures. Recently ordered a few of the iron factory beast wars guys so I guess they will determine how far down the rabbit hole I will go with legends. I will say that a lot of them look pretty fantastic for the size, I just wouldn't know where to start

• Like Like x 1
  8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I've been pondering the same question regularly. My problem with switching my chug out for a legends scaled collection is

1/ I would collect New Age and Magic Square, but probably mostly New Age. But several of NA's figures and most of MS's figures are not so readily avalaible anymore.

2/I really really like many of my chug toys. I'd probably like my NA collection just as much, but I have a hard time letting go of all the chug toys I really like, especially the Club Exclusives and others that probably won't get made by any 3P legends scale company.

3/ NA has just begun with the 84 line-up. I'd have to start collecting all the G1 characters Hasbro already made anew without any guarantee that NA, MS, or any legends scale company will still do legends scale G1 or even exist by the time they get to the season 3, season 4, or late G1 cast.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fenrys

News Credits:
    That's pretty much my conundrum as well. I may just keep a legends collection to BW guys and others where appropriate (iron factory bludgeon as an opponent for their lioconvoy for example) since BW legends is just getting started and my BW collection is pretty small outside of my 3h Wreckers

• Like Like x 1
  10. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    That's what I'm doing. Collecting the redecos allows me to enjoy the molds and have those decos that would be more expensive at MP scale and most of whom probably won't get made in chug.
    And I buy the oddity that looks really good to me, like MFT Mindwipe.

As for Beast Wars: I'm going all out. Although I do have my fair share of the original BW toys and I have been asking myself whether I would sell them if they get legends scaled versions. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    They’re really not *that* expensive for what you’re getting.

Smaller, highly articulated things will always be a *little* pricy, because of, well, what you’re getting. If I recall correctly, WST are also “expensive” for what you get, are they not?

It takes a lot of skill, I would think, to have all that goodness packed into such small ... packages. Thus the prices.

IF Mirage is insane. Truly. I could not believe such a effing brilliant and fun transformation existed on a legends figure!! This was also the first time I was like “wow. They could blow this up to “chug”/voyager size and it’d be absolutely amazing.” (I usually roll my eyes at all the “I wish they were bigger!” Comments).

I stick with IF because I prefer the DW/IDW designs.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Fenrys

News Credits:
    My 3h wreckers and bm/armada dinobots are probably the only bw figures I have that I wouldn't sell, in part because of an attachment to those botcon years. For MP scale I've gone strictly Ghostbusters crossover (with a few other cool ones here and there like the MP rid01 scourge) and T-Beast (with a few other cool ones like psychro knight), so my MP stuff is fairly contained. I almost feel like I've got too much invested in chug to just switch over, especially since like you said a lot of older legends stuff is much harder to come by. The TE BW stuff looks great, though I prefer Iron Factory's simply because I like the season 2 and 3 designs better, but I think I'm gonna be all in on BW legends as well

• Like Like x 1
  13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I preferred the Transmetal designs too, but after getting season one Airrazor and getting Silverbolt I really came to appreciate the organic detail on the characters with organic alt modes. Well, I still mostly prefer the TM designs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Silverbolt was a great figure and I hope we get a legends figure of him sooner rather than later (though I suppose the old deluxe would work reasonable well)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    True. A great figure and one of my favorite BW characters. A big old teddy-bear knight in shining armor.
    It's one of the toys I'll have a hard time letting go of if he gets a legends scaled figure, along with TM Cheetor, among others.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fenrys

News Credits:
    One big benefit of legends class figures that I can see is since they are smaller I assume it's easier to do display dioramas for them. That's actually one of the reasons why considering a legends collection is a thought at the back of my mind

• Like Like x 1
  17. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup. I'm nearing completion on my MP collection and I'll probably do some fun staging/posing once I get a bigger case, but for legends I'm planning on going all out and making a full on diorama with scenery, blast effects, explosions, lights, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Daedelus

Daedelus Know sacrifice, know victory

More fun to play with size dynamics as well.
    I currently have NA Megatron atop a hulking Jinbao Devastator while the NA Seekers are balanced unaided around him. Coneheads are posed flying to him next to the space bridge base pieces.

Nothing scales officially, but man they make 17 inch+ combiners look massive. Its so cool lol.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Fenrys

News Credits:
    I'll finally get to play around with a legends scale guy that isn't a minibot today, my iron factory beast megatron is waiting for me at home. How much I like him will kind of determine how far down the rabbit hole I go haha

20. CryptiniteDemon

CryptiniteDemon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is legends class an actual base size/scale or is it something that everyone calls all the smaller toys now regardless of how they scale with each other?