Question to legends size collectors

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by primatives, Apr 30, 2020.

1. primatives

primatives Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I got a question to those legends class collectors. Whats the appeal for collecting this line of toys? Ive seen some cool pictures of people creating battle scenes and the figures themselves look pretty good. I recently saw a newage hodur and thought I might pick it up until I saw the price!!

It costs more than the official siege line stuff. Isnt it quite pricey considering the size?

I would like to hear you guys opinion :) 

• Like Like x 1
  2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Personally I do consider it very pricey for the size. I am not collecting legends scaled toys as a replacement for my chug collection, but if I didn't already have a chug collection I might still collect my entire collection of updated G1 in legends scale, because they offer great accuracy without Hasbro's limitations and they take up less space. They are also marginally more in scale with city bots.

The legends scaled toys I do collect are Beast Wars legends, which to me scale better with my official chug this way, and G1 redecoes that I like. The latter I buy instead of MP redecoes, and this way the price makes more sense because they are still cheaper than MP's.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ArkhamSoldier

ArkhamSoldier Plastic Addict

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I only buy Legends from Iron Factory, because I am more of a G1 and Live Action Movie MP collector and can't afford a MP IDW collection.

But yeah, they are a bit pricey for the size. But the quality and overall look is top notch.

• Like Like x 1
  4. eyescovered

eyescovered Guide

News Credits:
    fun desk toys for work

• Like Like x 4
  5. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Legends really started to catch on shortly after Metroplex came out. They displayed really well with them and didn't take up much space. Legends have evolved so much that they now rival or surpass Masterpiece figures and while expensive for the size, are still cheaper than MP figures. Especially with how insane MP figures are getting in price. They really shine with Combiners and Titan figures and are usually just fun to tinker with.

• Like Like x 10
  6. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

I am not a legend scale collector, yet... But they are like mini MP and they are inspired by G1, IDW or BW. I am planning to get the NA seekers, they look so good!!! I have their Megatron and it is amazing for his size.

Size is not everything! The engineering is also a factor to consider into the pricing of these things.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah as he said the city bots can actually be used as city bots
    IMG_8222b.jpg
    Plus many are amazing for their size. Like little MP's. And you can fit a lot of them on a smaller shelf.

Also if you collect the Beast wars ones they go great with the g1 mp's
    IMG_8223b.jpg
    IMG_8224b.jpg
    As they look closer to the Beast wars show size in comparison. They are bigger than the humans but smaller than the g1 characters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  8. timcrook

timcrook Well-Known Member

MP citybots don't exist yet

9. TheRebirth

TheRebirth Well-Known Member

$48.99 Magic Square MS-B18
    Ms-Toys-Transformation-MS-B18-MSB18-OP-Commander-With-Trailer-Mini-Action-Figure-Robot-Toys.jpg

$49.99 Hasbro WFC-E11
    ezgif-6-b14f852a2506.jpg

$449.99 Takara MP-44
    shopping.jpeg.jpg

That $48.99 Legend is a lot closer in quality to the $449.99 MP than to the $49.99 CHUG. Sometimes you'll find a CHUG for $10 to $25 cheaper than the legend. Quality wise though, it's nowhere close, at least with current products. Legends are called mini masterpieces for a reason. You can fit way more legends in the same space. Legends give you a lot more options for creative scaling.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  11. ICEPnguin

ICEPnguin Constructicon

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    For me, they are fun to tinker with, space saving, easier to display, IDW-G1-mix, and when it comes to cost (FT vs Newage) just look at the Insecticons (3 figures) $200+ vs $80.

I know most will say not a fair comparison but to me it is. Most of the time mine are chilling on a shelf (detolf). So everything just ticks the legends scale boxes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Daedelus

Daedelus Know sacrifice, know victory

I only started collecting Legends as a way to contrast/exaggerate the size of other 3P Combiner figures. I don't buy anything official so MFT 3 Seekers and Coneheads for $60 or $10 per figure was reasonable to me. OS and cost less? Sure.

Only when I started seeing the engineering, articulation, and finish of NewAge did I feel like replacing those MFT Legends.
    When NewAge added effect parts, scenery, posed hands etc. to their Seekers it added to the display value more.

After handling them though...Wow. The quality of the plastic, paint, and overall finish is fantastic. Mini-Masterpieces.
    I won't just buy everything, but the characters I do like, I can justify the price. Actually hoping they reissue all the carbots with expressive hands now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

What everyone else said: smaller and more spacious, scale well with Titans/Big bots, and great quality for the most part.

I’m specifically a fan of Iron Factory stuff for their stylized, somewhat fresh designs that we don’t see much elsewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  14. nahmken

nahmken Member

Hello primatives,

I was so glad to see this thread because I've been itching to share my experience of collecting Newage figures.
    I've recently auctioned off all my MPs/FTs because I just couldn't afford to buy new releases anymore.
    Just the thought that my collection was going to end half-completed because I couldn't buy any new figures drove me nuts. I'd constantly drool over all the new release photos from Takara and FT. I'm extremely bipolar when it comes to collecting stuff and I decided to sell everything on the mindset of "If I can't have it all, I'd rather not have at all."

At first, I was going to save every penny of the money I made from selling my precious figures. But then I randomly stumbled upon H13 Lucifer review on Youtube, I think it was Deluxe Baldwin?, and boy did I fall in love with it. It not only looked gorgeous but fixed all the transforming mechanisms I hated about the MP seeker mold. They were so much more affordable yet the qualities were on par with the MPs or sometimes even better engineering-wise. You could tell the transformations were definitely inspired by the MPs/G1 Toys but they somehow made it simpler and less cumbersome and sometimes completely reinvented a new mechanism. The finish and detail on these figures were amazing. Without knowing the scale, I could hardly tell the difference between the Newage figures and MP figures.

There's something about them being super compact. It's hard to explain but they just feel so much more precious??? I get this inexplicably weird satisfaction from these guys. I can display them and move them around anywhere I want because they take up so much less space. The transformation is so much simpler yet ingenious which makes me want to play with them more. My MPs and FTs used to sit on my shelves and were transformed on an annual basis because it was such a labor to transform and play with them. Plus, each and every figure was so expensive that I had to be super careful when I handled them. However, for example, I'd say it takes me less than 20 seconds to transform Newage Abadon (Bombshell), a minute tops for Agamenmnon (Megatron). A lot of people say Newage figures are small MPs. But they're not just smaller. It's like you concentrated all of MP figures' awesomeness into smaller figures and sold them at a much lower price point. I'm not saying they're not expensive. They're pricey for their size. But like I said, these small figures pack everything you need and want from G1 Transformers toys. I can certainly afford $25~50 every quarter ;) .

I feel like I rambled on too much. I just wanted to share w/ everyone how happy I am with the Newage figures. I can't wait till I get my hands on H21 Scaramanga(?) and H22 Chimera. Man, I sound like I work for Newage haha. Hope this answers some of your questions.
    Thanks for reading my long-ass ramble.

• Like Like x 4
  15. primatives

primatives Well-Known Member

I share your frustration regarding price when it comes to MP size. Ive just gotten into it and I will not be able to buy everything but I do like this scale. I enjoyed hearing your story and how cool these legends classes are. I need to find someone who has one so I can see what all the fuss is about!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Charlock

Charlock Lighten Up, Francis.

I would call NewAge and Iron Factory the higher end of the price range for Legends bots. I collect mostly MFT, with some NA and IF mixed in. MFT, comparably, are far more affordable.

Price aside, it's the relative size that drew me in to Legends collecting. I'm still fairly new to the scene, but I sold a pretty sizeable, official G1/RiD/Armada collection a couple years back and poured the profits into building out my initial Legends lineup. I can store nearly the same number of bots on two shelves, whereas with my original collection I hardly ever had the space to display everything at the same time.

It's a hell of a lot easier to take down a figure I feel like tinkering with now, too.

That's just my experience, as a fairly "new" Legends addict. Mileage will most certainly vary.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I got into legends because they were cheap and I wanted fun little desk toys. They've gotten more pricey over the years and my desk has been overrun but I've continued on with them because they're just more fun than my MP figures (which I also still collect). They're easier to transform, have similar posability, and I don't have to worry about them losing paint or breaking when I decide I want to play with them. Plus, even though they've gotten more pricey, I can still get three or more for the price of the average mp bot (though newage's prices have gone through the roof lately so that's not as true as it used to be).

I own that legends bot and that chug bot and your statement is a wild exaggeration. MST Optimus is a very nice figure but his head is on a straight peg, his hip articulation is very restricted by his hip skirts, and you have to move the entire front crotch flap just to move a leg forward more than two degrees. Plus most versions of the figure don't have clear windows. Earthrise Optimus is better articulated (head on a ball joint and completely unhindered hips), has almost no visible screws, has a nice easy transformation that is almost MP level (MST is no slouch in the transformation department but Earthrise is still more fun), has clear windows, and even has articulated hands. Earthrise's only real drawbacks are his tiny trailer and his crappy looking wheels.

That's not too say I hate MST Optimus. I love both figures (though I did wait and get the metallic version that has the clear windows).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.

that's what she said.
    not about me, though.
    no wait, I know how to use... oh nvmd

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

I buy them to augment my CHUG collection, sometimes they fit in well, like the newage Bumblebee or it's KBB OSKO, or Iron Factory's Warpath.

Sometimes they just present neat takes on the character designs, like Iron Factory's Combaticons, scale be damned those are real neat.

20. Forum Name

Forum Name Well-Known Member

20200320_083632.jpg 20200320_083641.jpg
    Legends (if you do it right) turned out to be the fastest way to get MP style cartoon accurate-ish characters that also take up a minimum amount of space. Both of my legends displays take up the space of like 6 MP guys or 10 chug guys, but as you can see fits dozens of legends.

• Like Like x 7